Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What new clubs will Join Sydney AFL in 2012, 2013 and on!

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    MP what is your definition of competing reasonably strongly becuase I can expand on that abbrieviation into quite a detailed history that would show otherwise and in fact show just how quickly things can turn to @@@@.
    Well, for starters Bankstown Sports were a reasonably strong SFL team in the late 80s when they had the likes of Podbury running around with them. I think that Southern Districts and Bankstown may even have been in the SFL at the same time but that may be incorrect.

Obviously things did go pear-shaped and now is not the time but I would think if the game was to grow that there should be room for two teams in that SW Sydney region. Not sure how far apart Pennant Hills and Baulko's home grounds are but I imagine they are as close as Kelso and Rosedale if not closer....

Though to be fair Liverpool were belted 322-0 by Newtown in their second last season in the SFL in 1984.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Well, for starters Bankstown Sports were a reasonably strong SFL team in the late 80s when they had the likes of Podbury running around with them. I think that Southern Districts and Bankstown may even have been in the SFL at the same time but that may be incorrect.

Obviously things did go pear-shaped and now is not the time but I would think if the game was to grow that there should be room for two teams in that SW Sydney region. Not sure how far apart Pennant Hills and Baulko's home grounds are but I imagine they are as close as Kelso and Rosedale if not closer....
    Mate the club entered the SFL in 1982 and returned to the lower divs in 1987 almost folded in 1989 and dropped another div in 1990 returned to the SFA in 1993 and were gone by 1995 so please tell me where the success is. If you define success as a Phelan Medal winner the there have been 8 between Bankstown, Liverpool and Southern Districts.

For the record Im a former Bankstown player and I loved the club and hated Liverpool and whilst think it would be great to see Bankstown back the level of juniors in the area will not support it anytime soon - Also as for two teams in the South West your forgetting Cambelltown and their home ground aint all the far from us either and its not like their thriving on the obvious abunance of local juniors in the area.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Mike Kenny Oval is closer than Ern Holmes, but even so it's a fair bit further than 8km to Bruce Purser from there.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Warming the Bench
    The posibility of Bankstown having a senior club is next to nil

Bankstown juniors flow into basically 3 clubs, being st george , moorebank and wests

Moorebank and Wests now have 3 senior teams, good on 'em

Penshurst used to have a senior team, but sadly now don't even have under 16's

although that will change in the next few years

I'M all for new clubs, but look at the problems that Campbelltown and Balmain have had

with their under 18's. They have had to take a step or 2 back to go forward and I hope

they will
    September 24th, 2005 5.14pm
    What a great moment in all of our lives

It's hard to think where a new club would be formed without stepping on the toes of another club really. Maroubra seem to be doing alright, although within a barrel from UNSW, Auburn have set up a niche with their area. St Clair and the blokes they had are all but gone, so perhaps that passion to rebuild has waned. I'd like to see the Katoomba-Lithgow Mountain Lions start again, but that dream is long gone, along with most of their players. All areas seem to be taken (maybe covered is a better word) now, which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    It's hard to think where a new club would be formed without stepping on the toes of another club really. Maroubra seem to be doing alright, although within a barrel from UNSW, Auburn have set up a niche with their area. St Clair and the blokes they had are all but gone, so perhaps that passion to rebuild has waned. I'd like to see the Katoomba-Lithgow Mountain Lions start again, but that dream is long gone, along with most of their players. All areas seem to be taken (maybe covered is a better word) now, which is a shame.
    I think that what we'll more likely see is a lot of is clubs growing organically and adding more teams. Most teams now have a third senior side which is great as it gives more opportunities. Look at how Mac Uni and Manly have expanded their senior lists and the benefits are obvious. Sydney Uni have five when 10 years ago they only had two.

I still think that there is scope for a St Ives/Hornsby team in that upper North Shore corridor and a team in the Blacktown area between Parramatta and Penrith. A team from the Blue Mountains would be great but I would not have wanted to play a night game up there last weekend It will take time but I think there is scope for a couple of newly created teams to come into existence.

Who would have thought UTS would have come into existence with Sydney Uni, Easts and Balmain all on their doorstep. Though to be fair the UNSW sellout basically gifted them the Eastern Suburbs by playing out of Trumper
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 18th May 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Forest talked for years about setting up a senior club. That could work as Lionel Watts is a nice venue. Manly would have the lower peninsular and Forest the upper region, much like Warringah and Manly in the rugby.

In the end it takes a group of people to put their absolute hearts and souls into creating something new. A bit of cash doesn't hurt either. UTS are a perfect example of how a new club can be created and thrive. Perhaps UTSBatman can expand but my understanding is that 3-4 blokes really carried that club for the first few years but it now has a really strong culture and is going great guns, despite their lack of PL success this year.....

I have heard a couple of rumors about new teams for 2012. One out of Blacktown?
    Any news on new teams of clubs for 2012?

Obviously the pace has quickened for Aussie Rules in Sydney and it's easy to get excited but the fact remains that losing clubs really hurts .Not only did we lose Newtown but the league's ground and now it's impossible to retrieve because it's been snaffled by the rectangular codes .Newtown juniors are building but we've lost the seniors ground .When Easts lost their financial base and merged we were lucky to keep Trumper .The good news are the new grounds and facilities like Waverley Oval and Maroubra's ground .It's going to be difficult to set up new clubs if the demand arises because the failities aren't generally there so the migration will be towards established clubs .
    give it to the game

Definately be great to see a side from the Hornsby area.. I would rather see parra and the riff be stronger across a few grades before another team sets up out west. What about another Wollongong side for the lower divisions? Maybe Wollongong Uni? Also is there still talk about Gosford joining?

Maroubra Saints U18s?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast