Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What new clubs will Join Sydney AFL in 2012, 2013 and on!

Warming the Bench
    Maroubra 18's ?

don't think so - too close to UNSW-Easts who were last on the premier 18's (but were very competitive)

need a big growth in numbers , but sure, it would be good for footy in the area
    September 24th, 2005 5.14pm
    What a great moment in all of our lives

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Maroubra Saints U18s?
    I believe they and Auburn might not be permitted to have an 18s until they've been in for three years due to their proximity to other clubs, which would mean they'd be looking at 2013.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Maroubra 18's ?

don't think so - too close to UNSW-Easts who were last on the premier 18's (but were very competitive)

need a big growth in numbers , but sure, it would be good for footy in the area
    Not that close really. I think I am right in saying that Maroubra are the fastest growing junior club in the state and could probably accomodate an U18s team. Just a matter if they want to do it. I remember playing juniors that U18s were the oldest junior age group and all junior clubs had an U18s team, albeit with the better players doubling up for U-19 duty at SFL level. It's insane that we don't have more U18 sides, hopefully this will change going forward

It would also be great to see Newtown back in action through their juniors but I doubt that will ever happen as Sydney Uni are pretty tight with the Newtown juniors I believe.

Talking Under 18s.
    I was in Melbourne last week and the word is that all Under 18 competitions are being raised to Under 19s.
    This could or should be the same in Sydney as too many boys are lost to the game during these teenage years.

I think that under the current structure, it would turn more away. The biggest difficulty is getting Under 16's, who are finishing their junior careers, to move to a new club to play 18's. It's daunting for some. If a 16 year old has to play 19 year olds, it could make it more difficult. Most U18's, once they have been a year or two at clubs, seem to want to jump at the chance of playing seniors from what I have seen.

They are also going to raise Under 16s to Under 17s. This initiative has been instigated by the AFL who were the ones who originally wiped out the AFL Under 19 competition and then the Reserves. Now many of the clubs have gone back to running their own reserves teams to keep control of the players they have listed and develop within their own ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    They are also going to raise Under 16s to Under 17s. This initiative has been instigated by the AFL who were the ones who originally wiped out the AFL Under 19 competition and then the Reserves. Now many of the clubs have gone back to running their own reserves teams to keep control of the players they have listed and develop within their own ranks.
    I think that this would make sense. U17s effectively takes kids up to Year 12 at high school. U19s worked before and good U17 kids can double up at the SFL clubs if they want. I'd also look at the Div 2 under age group being U20 as this will keep kids in the system longer. It worked before....

I think that this would make sense. U17s effectively takes kids up to Year 12 at high school. U19s worked before and good U17 kids can double up at the SFL clubs if they want. I'd also look at the Div 2 under age group being U20 as this will keep kids in the system longer. It worked before....
    Innovative! Maybe 23s, to keep in line with the development team? (And we're more likely to field numbers in this bracket!)

Mug P... the under 20 idea for Challenge Cup is one of the best ideas I have ever seen on the forum.
    Having watched a number of Challenge cup games it is clear that many of the teams have player who will not move into senior football, effectively its their last year of footy.
    Giving these kids the chance to keep playing, even to 20 is a great idea.
    I hope someone from the AFL reads this forum, even if in 2012 they made it under 19. Great idea.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    Mug P... the under 20 idea for Challenge Cup is one of the best ideas I have ever seen on the forum.
    Having watched a number of Challenge cup games it is clear that many of the teams have player who will not move into senior football, effectively its their last year of footy.
    Giving these kids the chance to keep playing, even to 20 is a great idea.
    I hope someone from the AFL reads this forum, even if in 2012 they made it under 19. Great idea.
    The AFL in Sydney will do exactly what the rest of the country (whatever the Spew determines actually) is doing - if the Heirachy determine under 19's is the way to go we will follow.

As for challenge cup being under 20s that is so open for rorting its not funny. What is to stop a club who has a PD and a CC 18s team and varying senior grades above it playing 20yo's one week in PD seniors or 1st div but when realising they cant make finals dropping them back to win a flag in the under20's comp? Please dont tell me integrity will ensure this scenario doesnt happen.

Anyway if you want to keep those kids who arnt good enough for seniors involved get a div 5 team together, they wont have a problem competing in that div for fun.

I think it is the opposite MP & TW.

by necessity at most clubs, by the second half of the season, a lot of the kids playing CC and even PD u/18's are in fact u/16's, (with a lot of 2nd year 18's playing in the senior sides) ... a good way to intro them to senior footy I would have thought.

But not if they have to front up and get bashed by 20 y.o.'s!

As tara pointed out, the worst 20 y.o. will have fun playing against 40+ y.o.'s in div 5, and learn more about playing the game than they would "monstering" children.

Allowing older players would be detrimental and widen the gap between junior and senior footy.

Not that close really. I think I am right in saying that Maroubra are the fastest growing junior club in the state and could probably accomodate an U18s team. Just a matter if they want to do it. I remember playing juniors that U18s were the oldest junior age group and all junior clubs had an U18s team, albeit with the better players doubling up for U-19 duty at SFL level. It's insane that we don't have more U18 sides, hopefully this will change going forward

It would also be great to see Newtown back in action through their juniors but I doubt that will ever happen as Sydney Uni are pretty tight with the Newtown juniors I believe.
    Correct, Newtown are one of our junior pathway clubs - just like the Moore Park Tigers Under 7s and the private sch... oh, they're not on our list anymore.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast