Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What new clubs will Join Sydney AFL in 2012, 2013 and on!

What new clubs will Join Sydney AFL in 2012, 2013 and on!

From what I am seeing footy in Sydney is going off! Many clubs now have players missing out on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th team.

But... what new clubs will enter the comp like Auburn and Maroubra of recent time. Still being relatively new to Sydney I would like to hear from those with more knowledge on where the new teams will come from? I have heard about St Clair... will Westbrook and Riverview Start Senior teams....what about the rebirth of St Ives... would love to hear your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    From what I am seeing footy in Sydney is going off! Many clubs now have players missing out on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th team.

But... what new clubs will enter the comp like Auburn and Maroubra of recent time. Still being relatively new to Sydney I would like to hear from those with more knowledge on where the new teams will come from? I have heard about St Clair... will Westbrook and Riverview Start Senior teams....what about the rebirth of St Ives... would love to hear your thoughts!
    I haven't heard about St Clair. Are they planning to re-start a club?

The rebirth of St Ives would be a good start or a team based near Hornsby. Also there surely can be a team somewhere between Parramatta and Penrith, Blacktown had a team for as while for maybe a team around there or Rooty Hill. Riverview Old Boys? Think they'd struggle for numbers and support but you never know. Westbrook certainly could but they are so close to Penno and also have ties with Mac Uni. Also there's a huge gap where Bankstown used to be so perhaps they could be reborn in some form.

Also with the changing demographics of the inner west could you see Newtown being reborn?

Would be great for Sydney footy if we could get another 3-4 news senior clubs up and running by season 2014 at the latest

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    The rebirth of St Ives would be a good start or a team based near Hornsby. Also there surely can be a team somewhere between Parramatta and Penrith, Blacktown had a team for as while for maybe a team around there or Rooty Hill. Riverview Old Boys? Think they'd struggle for numbers and support but you never know. Westbrook certainly could but they are so close to Penno and also have ties with Mac Uni. Also there's a huge gap where Bankstown used to be so perhaps they could be reborn in some form.

Also with the changing demographics of the inner west could you see Newtown being reborn?

Would be great for Sydney footy if we could get another 3-4 news senior clubs up and running by season 2014 at the latest
    For the record Bankstown and Liverpool merged for the last time in 1996 and perhaps you should look at the history and youll see that liverpool and bankstown have a shared history that dates back to 1963 - you should also take note that our club when chosing colours in 1996 deliberately shyed from the liverpool and bankstown colours at the time so as not to offend anyone. Our socks have green gold and blue in them in acknowledgement.

For the record
    1949 Liverpool formed - competes in Districts comp in 1949 & 1950 - Joins SFL in 1951
    1958 Bankstown formed
    1963 Bankstown & Liverpool for compbined team in SFL
    1964 Banktown & Liverpool Merge and now known as Southern Districts
    1972 Bankstown refroms and splits with Southern Districts
    1981 Southern Districts reverts back to Liverpool
    1996 Bankstown and Liverpool merge and now known as South West Sydney
    2008 SWS renamed Moorebank Sports

For the record over the years the clubs have worn various colours - Black & Gold - Blue & White hoops (Geelong Colours) - Navy Blue with monogram - Royal Blue and White (Nth Melb) - Green & Gold - Black n White - Black White & Blue.

As for the huge gap in Bankstown that you speak of Kelso and Rosedale is less than 8km by road - Are their the junior numbers to support another team by 2014? In my opinion not a chance in hell if you expect it to succeed it would only further fracture the area. As for the other areas I cant speak for becuase I dont know but Ii would far rather see Penrith admitted to PD first than those other clubs getting off the ground just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    For the record Bankstown and Liverpool merged for the last time in 1996 and perhaps you should look at the history and youll see that liverpool and bankstown have a shared history that dates back to 1963 - you should also take note that our club when chosing colours in 1996 deliberately shyed from the liverpool and bankstown colours at the time so as not to offend anyone. Our socks have green gold and blue in them in acknowledgement.

For the record
    1949 Liverpool formed - competes in Districts comp in 1949 & 1950 - Joins SFL in 1951
    1958 Bankstown formed

For the record over the years the clubs have worn various colours - Black & Gold - Blue & White hoops (Geelong Colours) - Navy Blue with monogram - Royal Blue and White (Nth Melb) - Green & Gold - Black n White - Black White & Blue.

As for the huge gap in Bankstown that you speak of Kelso and Rosedale is less than 8km by road - Are their the junior numbers to support another team by 2014? In my opinion not a chance in hell if you expect it to succeed it would only further fracture the area. As for the other areas I cant speak for becuase I dont know but Ii would far rather see Penrith admitted to PD first than those other clubs getting off the ground just yet.
    Thanks for the history lesson (seriously, didn't know all that).

Given that the two clubs existed reasonably strongly separately for over 20 years you would think that eventually the area should be able to support two teams. Maybe not at the moment but certainly at some stage down the track......

Agree re your post about Penrith becoming a PD club, definitely a sleeping giant that has been disgracefully neglected over the years.

PK - must be on holidays this week as I would have appreciated his historical knowledge.

While the Penrith PD is a good aspiration, from what I am seeing with Sydney AFL numbers there is significant growth in average footballers turning to senior AFL. Some ex Juniors but a lot of ex Rugby and Soccer. With the new structure we could hope (and Sydney AFL help) grow new clubs. Mug Punter highlighted a number of new areas... whats the likelyhood of 20 mates getting together and starting a new team like Auburn and Maroubra! What about a Div 5 side playing out of Blacktown!

PK - must be on holidays this week as I would have appreciated his historical knowledge.

While the Penrith PD is a good aspiration, from what I am seeing with Sydney AFL numbers there is significant growth in average footballers turning to senior AFL. Some ex Juniors but a lot of ex Rugby and Soccer. With the new structure we could hope (and Sydney AFL help) grow new clubs. Mug Punter highlighted a number of new areas... whats the likelyhood of 20 mates getting together and starting a new team like Auburn and Maroubra! What about a Div 5 side playing out of Blacktown!
    Although it would be sensational for Penrith to be in PD, it's a long way off (though somewhere in the plans). The club is developing local talent through the junior pathway as well as getting quite a few new players (from other sports) into the mix. However, it's a herculean challenge to aspire to PD status given it will be always tough to recruit players from outside the area which clubs closer to the city have.

The idea of new clubs popping up is good. So long as their admission isn't granted without a comprehensive BDP. They would have to prove that they are sustainable and won't just be around for as long as the "founders" are involved.

Ideally, it would be best for some merging of clubs to happen, with all Sydney Clubs to have PD down to Div 5 and two 18's teams. But we know that that won't happen.

Senior Player

Have a look at the reasons these new teams came into being a bit more deeply and you will see that there is a lot more to it than 20 mates getting together.

MP what is your definition of competing reasonably strongly becuase I can expand on that abbrieviation into quite a detailed history that would show otherwise and in fact show just how quickly things can turn to @@@@.

Warming the Bench
    With the new structure we could hope (and Sydney AFL help) grow new clubs. Mug Punter highlighted a number of new areas... whats the likelyhood of 20 mates getting together and starting a new team like Auburn and Maroubra! What about a Div 5 side playing out of Blacktown!
    In some respects, Auburn isn't a new club. There was an Auburn senior club in the late 80s, although they were called the Redlegs then I think.
    I don't know if the new Auburn club has carried on with the history of the old club or not, or if it indeed has links (eg players) with the old club either.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post

For the record
    1958 Bankstown formed

That's interesting, I was aware of the Bankstown-Liverpool merge in 1996, but I certainly wasn't aware of the previous merger and "unmerge". Many thanks.

It's good to see there are people around with a knowledge of the history of their club.

Senior Player
    Parramatta was also in the mix with the other two in the 1960's for a brief period.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortHalfHead View Post
    The idea of new clubs popping up is good. So long as their admission isn't granted without a comprehensive BDP. They would have to prove that they are sustainable and won't just be around for as long as the "founders" are involved.
    Absolutely essential I would have thought. You don't want any new club to be struggling after an initial period.

You'd also want new clubs to be going into areas where the demographics can actually sustain them, without draining resources from other existing senior clubs.

In the past we've had senior clubs come and go, you don't want to see a repeat of that if it can at all be prevented.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast