Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What new clubs will Join Sydney AFL in 2012, 2013 and on!

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Correct, Newtown are one of our junior pathway clubs - just like the Moore Park Tigers Under 7s and the private sch... oh, they're not on our list anymore.
    Can someone pass the student a tissue please..?

Student, my helpful hint for the day. From the Uni grounds, cross Parramatta Rd (take the footbridge, it's safer). On the other side is a suburb named Glebe. They have a junior footy club. Talk to them. Will get you quicker results than recruiting the Moore Park Under 7's. You may be surprised to find out they are in your pathway.

Alternatively, try junior clubs in Broken Hill, WA, Adelaide etc. They're a little bit further west than Campbelltown, Penrith etc, but it worked for you in 2009.

SHH - I know Uni U/18s has Glebe players in it and I think it has been a shared pathway club for Dockers and them for the first time this season. I also know Uni has been down at Glebe regularly for about 5 years now, before and after the club incentive scheme. Central Coast seems to be working for Dockers apparently but your point is poorly made when that whole thing re: 2009 had nought to do with Penrith, C'town or SU / ECE or anyone else local (although it might of from your parochial perspective), it was the Swans crying over the Pies getting innovative in their back yard in a way that messed with their own strategy. Couple that with GWS being in planning phase and the Swans couldn't handle it and AFL Sydney had to placate, thats what that was, AFL politics pure and simple. On that note what Collingwood were onto was obviously effective with 3 of the NSW Scholarship holders that went to Uni U/18s ending up on their list, good result for those kids - it really provided the foundation for the Academy ideas I suppose as based on similar principles. You don't see many AFL clubs taking 3 Sydney youngsters very often, shame the Scholarship scheme has ended - competition brings the best results not closed markets. Nevertheless looking forward to GWS playing - hope they list a bunch of NSW boys over the next few years - great to have the extra $ and promo in the city finally for our great game.

Senior Player
    Jupitor thats a nice theory and has some truth but tell me did the swans having anything to do the recent changes in the pathways involving private schools or was it due to some creative recuiting drives?

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Jupitor thats a nice theory and has some truth but tell me did the swans having anything to do the recent changes in the pathways involving private schools or was it due to some creative recuiting drives?

Thanks. I've got no mail on any new changes Tara, sorry. I only had info on the AFL Scholarship scheme's demise and Collingwood's NSW initiatives which was why SHH's post caught my eye. Cheers

Kids are always going to gravitate to the stronger clubs, or those with better exposure, for lack of a better term. You can't begrudge a junior from say, Penriff juniors, who has the opportunity to play at a higher level, then goes to Penno (Wright), Town (Chivas, Edwards, Shaw) or East Coast (Can't think of any from Riff) We had a talented Hawkesbury junior try his arm at ECE, made his debut against Balmain towards the end of the year and played all the way through to a Premier Division flag, and won their Rising Star award last weekend! Good on him I say.

With GWS requiring top up players for their ressies in the NEAFL, there is a better chance they'll stay at their home clubs and have the higher exposure come to them. Our young gun Josh Cass will be playing Seniors with us again, and has been asked to train with the Giants Academy over summer. Wouldn't have happened 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wills View Post
    From what I am seeing footy in Sydney is going off! Many clubs now have players missing out on their 2nd, 3rd or even 4th team.

But... what new clubs will enter the comp like Auburn and Maroubra of recent time. Still being relatively new to Sydney I would like to hear from those with more knowledge on where the new teams will come from? I have heard about St Clair... will Westbrook and Riverview Start Senior teams....what about the rebirth of St Ives... would love to hear your thoug

ts!

Plenty of fantasy,fiction and fact no doubt but so far we have seen thrown out there as new for 2012.

Penrith , thirds ,womens and additional U 18 team,
    Gosford
    River view OB
    Nor west 18
    Maroubra 18
    St Clair
    Uni WEST SYD
    UTS div 5
    Wondering if any are real and are there any others.?

Benchwarmer... great names. Where would UWS play out of? They seem to have campuses everywhere.

Not sure TW, I read it in a thread somewhere. Maybe one for the fiction category though they did have a team in the UNI games this year I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    Plenty of fantasy,fiction and fact no doubt but so far we have seen thrown out there as new for 2012.

Penrith , thirds ,womens and additional U 18 team,
    Gosford
    River view OB
    Nor west 18
    Maroubra 18
    St Clair
    Uni WEST SYD
    UTS div 5
    Wondering if any are real and are there any others.?
    Can confirm that Penrith will nominate the extra teams. Could have done with a thirds side this year and shouldn't be a problem getting it off the ground. Ladies team has had a lot of interest with about 16 committed so far and the 18's is the hardest task but early signs are promising though will need some help from the under 16's feeder clubs. Hopefully some new clubs/teams will enter and be able to be sustainable

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234