Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sydney's Big Spend on Gun Forward

What's interesting about this story is just why it appeared. It could be a beatup, or it may have been planted by the Swans to shake the tree a bit. If there's a disgruntled tall forward somewhere, his manager knows who to call.

Risky, but when your best forward is about to hang up the boots and the best prospect is stuck in the seconds, it maybe time for desperate measures.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Play all 3(White, Reid and Johnston) there......and LEAVE THEM THERE!!!!!

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Play all 3(White, Reid and Johnston) there......and LEAVE THEM THERE!!!!!
    I agree about White. We're all frustrated, but that's only because we've seen snippets of what he can do. Unless there's some miracle trade to be made, we should hang on to him because our forward line is a real weakness. We can't afford to weaken it more. If we want to aim for youngsters through the draft, they won't be ready for a few years. If we don't mind missing a few years of finals, then that's the best way, but otherwise we need to stay patient with the group we've got.

All that said, If some big key forward wants to come live in the best city in Australia, all offers welcome.
    follow me on twitter harbourviewsafl

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    I just have this itch, that they may feel it may be time for a Fevolution.
    Would rather go after Tom Hawkins than bringing that cancer to this club.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Would rather go after Tom Hawkins than bringing that cancer to this club.
    Fair enough, but then we'd have him and Jesse not quite making it yet.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by andyn View Post
    I agree about White. We're all frustrated, but that's only because we've seen snippets of what he can do. Unless there's some miracle trade to be made, we should hang on to him because our forward line is a real weakness. We can't afford to weaken it more. If we want to aim for youngsters through the draft, they won't be ready for a few years. If we don't mind missing a few years of finals, then that's the best way, but otherwise we need to stay patient with the group we've got.

All that said, If some big key forward wants to come live in the 2nd best city in Australia, all offers welcome.
    I agree

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    I agree
    Come back Barry! All is forgiven!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Come back Barry! All is forgiven!
    Strap Baz and Braddy together and we might be able to cobble together an FF?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    In a word White..Another word - physicality.. He is the great White hope.
    Reminds me of that movie....The Great White Hype.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Reminds me of that movie....The Great White Hype.
    Good movie...hehe

Things have changed. A structured forward line is a liability and a structure that operates primarily through a single full forward is more easily nullified than one where there are a range of options. That's why Damien Hardwick said Reiwoldt needs to kick less goals this year if Richmond is to have a better season. The dogs have actually lost scoring effectiveness since BBB joined despite his kicking 80 goals last year. Short memories - doesn't anyone remember the frustrations of everyone kicking to BBB while other options (often White) were left open? With defensive zoning, it is much harder to be a leading FF. Honestly, I reckon even Plugger would struggle now.

Which is not to say our forward line isn't fundamentally @@@@@@. It is. However, I think we have the answers on our list and this article is crap. I have come around to White as a backman. I'd have him as FB (like a point guard, he'd understand that concept). Reg is our half back / sweeper because despite what some on here thing, he is a beautiful kick. Mal fulfills a similar role. Having said that, with Johnson there too, one wonders if we are not one big man surplus... GWS anyone?

TDL is ideally suited as a forward and I understand he has had his issues, but he brings a lot to the table - flair, skill and defensive pressure. So a forward line of TDL McGlynne, with Bird, Parker, Jack etc. rotating into the forward pockets and most importantly, Reid at CHF and Johnston on a flank (he's the right size and shape for a 2nd / 3rd forward and in this day and age, 2nd / 3rd tall forwards are really rather important. Add to the Everitt, Kennedy (a medium sized forward in his own right) and of course Goodes floating forward to create havoc and there is an unpredictable and possibly potent combination there.

But they need to get TDL in there to create forward pressure and they need to get the rotations right with the right blend of size and skill in the forward line. I also wonder about how much of our issue is delivery. Reid needs to work on his kicking to fulfill his role as CHF link man a la Reiwoldt senior and we need to develop MORE structures, set plays and game plans which the players understand and can implement.

All good in theory anyway. I guess what I am feeling is that we have the sausages, but we are missing the BBQ.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Gerard Healy reckons we're one KP forward short of a gun team. In this story on Sam Reid:
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226067585164
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast