Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans - The big picture

Quote Originally Posted by cowcar View Post
    In 4-5 years this group will be hitting thier prime (all will be in the 25-28 age group)...
    Ried, McGlyn, Hannebury, Jack, Kennedy, TDL, Johnson, Johnston, Reid, Rohan , Smith,Moore, Bird, Mumford
    These will be in the veteran stage of their career to provide leadershipa and structure: LRT, Malceski, Grundy
    so in 4-5 years, we will have a gun team... but in the mean time, they are getting better with each game...
    This makes the most sense to me on this thread. The only other thing I agree with is that we will need another Goodes and a power forward. While Reid will make a CHF, he may not be the goal kicker we will need. Maybe LJ will develop that way, but I see him more as a third tall, leaving room in the goal square for a big marking forward
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Sorry MSB but the Cats did bottom out & Thompson nearly got the sack. T the bottom eight & low eight for one of those. Thompson was building a team & getting rid of all the deadwood that had accumulated at Geelong. He was also trying to change the culture at the Cats. The culture was if you play for the Cats you are a star, I've seen players who never came near winning a premiership being treated like gods down there. We don't have that problem here but we do have a Sydney attitude problem, if you are a loser here no-one likes you. But in saying that I think it would have done us good to have a couple of years at the bottom like the Lions, Cats, Pies, Saints (wasted talent bad coach before Lyon), Blues (again not the best coach), Eagles, Freo. In saying that we have been very smart in the draft in swapping players who didn't fit our future & one who wanted to go (Jolly) for high (1st & 2nd) draft picks over the last 3 to 4 years. Thank Roosie for that as he looked to the future & used the Sheedy method of getting high draft picks, wave a choice bit of meat (over 25) under the noses of other clubs then bargain.
    Depends how you define bottoming out...considering geelong havent finished below
    12th position in the last 11 years I dont really class that as bottoming out. We finished 12th in 09 and that certainly was not through bottoming out.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    This makes the most sense to me on this thread. The only other thing I agree with is that we will need another Goodes and a power forward. While Reid will make a CHF, he may not be the goal kicker we will need. Maybe LJ will develop that way, but I see him more as a third tall, leaving room in the goal square for a big marking forward
    agreed..(and thanks).. we may need a potential big target.. and i think we all hope that White isnt a write off.. but failing that, there are always trades and recruiting to come. however, in that group the core of the team is forming (with Jack being the most likely to be captain). I also forgot in the seniors list, Mcviegh will be around still..
    so in that frame, we will have a great team. Lets hope we can keep them in the team and injury free..
    season 2012- top 4 here we come

On the Rookie List
    Look, we had a very good win tonight against the Lions and some of our younger players shone. Hard to see that we don't have future with those players.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

Without disrespecting the OP, i think the concept of 'bottoming out' is a theoretical exercise that doesn't always work in reality. I think the most important aspect in any club is culture, something we have in spades. For whatever reason (astute recruiting, great induction) we seem to be able to late round draft picks and turn them into quality footballers (AJ comes to mind).

Whether it's for financial reasons in our market or something else, I'm glad that we remain competitive whilst focusing (lately) on youth. That we have such a young list playing with the enviable Swans ethos is indeed exciting.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    People here are downgrading our culture - which is the envy
    Of most clubs and the real reason we don't bottom out ( or tank)!!!!
    This is what I love and am most proud about this club.
    When you put on the red and white and run out - you carry
    the Bloods tradition with you.
    We lost this for a few years and have alot to thank Roosey for
    ...... over and above the flag and finals.
    I'd always prefer a champion team over a team of champions !!

Quote Originally Posted by BRISWAN View Post
    Everyone forgets how ordinary both Geelong and Collingwood were before things clicked for them.

Some people just enjoy a good whinge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it's cold this morning. Where's my Swans snuggly?? (Swans snuggly = beautiful, attractive, intelligent and totally unconditional with her love and support. I just haven't found her yet!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm whinging
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Everyone forgets how ordinary both Geelong and Collingwood were before things clicked for them.

Some people just enjoy a good whinge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn it's cold this morning. Where's my Swans snuggly?? (Swans snuggly = beautiful, attractive, intelligent and totally unconditional with her love and support. I just haven't found her yet!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm whinging
    Maybe we could arrange for Cyggy to visit you Bas for a big hug?

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Maybe we could arrange for Cyggy to visit you Bas for a big hug?
    Very funny, I'll pay that one.

Another reason to get to the next Swans game early and hang out on the fence!

Except I'm in Melbourne next week with the kids for the King Tooty exhibition. However, Friday and Saturday night footy here we come.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    Very funny, I'll pay that one.

Another reason to get to the next Swans game early and hang out on the fence!

Except I'm in Melbourne next week with the kids for the King Tooty exhibition. However, Friday and Saturday night footy here we come.
    I'm always up for a hug from a big bird.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Blog Entries
    Just on the culture thing. Yesterday afternoon it waqs reported how Voss wanted to emulate the Bloods Ethos, as he loved the way they played their game.
    I guess he hasn't implemented it yet up there.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Posts in blank verse - what a classy website this is!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast