Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Couch rumour

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    I was all for it, he had effort, heart and the body in Geelong games I saw. I remember in a Brisbane game, he was tackling and throwing his body around and I was "wow". Skills and consistency would come for him. lucky for us it clicked real quick!

I'm questioning Hawkins and Jesse's results on field. I believe Jesse needs a permanent forward role to settle into with some 1 vs 1 training from Bradshaw. And Hawkins I don't care for, we have a project player in Jesse that we have invested 5 years into. Getting a high profile proven forward is another matter.
    I was with the plot too. This guy always had the potential but was a bit overweight (puppy fat). He was impressive in his aggression in the few games he had for the Cats. Hawks is a problem and it is about attitude, I think he may be a sook? He seems to think it is all going to fall into pla instead of going & getting the pill. He hangs back , is slow & seems at times disinterested. Could he do well up here? There is a chance of course but he has tio really want it & he's more of a CHF type not FF as he doesn't have a natural lead & tries to rely on his strength. I thing the resies have several who may slot into FF eg; Harren or we couls play TDL out of the Goal Square ie; Darren Jarman for Adelaide.

Not sure about Hawkins. if at the right price, it could be worth the gamble as other options also develop.

The other thing I liked on OTC last night was the reference by Gerard Healy to TDL being a bit like Nick Davis. I'm paraphrasing here but he said something like "a genuine goal scorer ... he knows where the goals are ... he creates goals".

I thought his forward defensive work rate was pretty good on Saturday. Largely preaching to the convereted here, but he is an X-factor and is a first 22 player in my books based on our current list.

Not quite Davis in 2005 but he has also kicked the winning goal in a final already.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Not sure about Hawkins. if at the right price, it could be worth the gamble as other options also develop.

The other thing I liked on OTC last night was the reference by Gerard Healy to TDL being a bit like Nick Davis. I'm paraphrasing here but he said something like "a genuine goal scorer ... he knows where the goals are ... he creates goals".

I thought his forward defensive work rate was pretty good on Saturday. Largely preaching to the convereted here, but he is an X-factor and is a first 22 player in my books based on our current list.

Not quite Davis in 2005 but he has also kicked the winning goal in a final already.
    Yeah,i am a convert ,he has the skills that you can't learn,you either have them or you don't.

I also feel that Hawkins offers noting that White couldn't deliver.

If it were to happen, I would have the consolation of knowing that we had in-house advice from Henry and the Mummy as to character and potential.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by old blood View Post
    Hawkins' problem is much the same as Jesse's - he simply doesn't have the instincts of a natural forward. If you want a comparison, look at TDL. He just knows where to go to get the ball and you can't teach that. I'd much prefer that we persevere with LJ and Sam Reid as our key forwards. If they are backed up by Gary Rohan, TDL, Benny and Jed Lamb, we could have a red-hot forward line in a year or two.

If we have to look elsewhere, you need to look at another natural forward like Taylor Walker. He's obviously got issues and will probably be snapped up by GWS, but his forward instincts are outstanding.
    +1

I still see key defence as more of an issue long term with us. How would Troy Chaplin look in our side?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Stefan Carey > Tom Hawkins
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I was watching a replay tonight and after both Gerard and Mike quizzed Roosy about Hawkins and he denied vehemently, Gerard finished by saying and Roosy's nose has grown a bit longer.

I'd be happy for him to be transformed into a Swans and the Swans will have the money to persuade him to leave Geelong and join his old team mate in Sydney.

They wouldn't be chasing him if they saw a future for Jessie at FF. However Jessie may still be retained in defence.

We'd have a better spine than a super model's.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Hawkins reminds me so much of one of those dumb jock quarterbacks from those American straight to video movies. I'd prefer someone with runs on the board. I do believe he has potential and has played several good games but he's a lemon.
    agreed about everything ....except the potential bit
    messianic game-thieving, god like, fried chicken eater

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    We should be used to that by now with Jesse on the list.
    good call big al
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

id hav more faith in plugger comin back the hawkins
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

On the veteran's list
    Hawkins pace is a worry but his lack of "mongrel" is his biggest drawback. Like Jesse he doesn't crash enough packs or "provide the big body" in contests. A personal friend of mine, who is a recently retired VFL full back told me he couldn't believe how "gentle" Hawkins is. He will go around rather then crashing through, he will let himself be pushed around in marking contests. Like they are trying to do with Jesse, the coaches may be able to teach a bash and crash style. But unfortunately for Hawkins you can't teach pace. (The flipside of this of course is that you can't teach height either!)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast