Thread: How good would Cyril Rioli look in the red & white?

Question How good would Cyril Rioli look in the red & white?

Just watching the Hawthorn v Geelong Rd 11 game, and realised we could have had Cyril Rioli. He was taken the pick after we took Vez (who we no longer have). He would be brilliant in the Red & White. Im drooling just thinking about it. Imagine how much better he would make us.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I honestly thought for a while that Patty would be better.

Did Cyril not have some kind of "wanna be in Melbourne" thing?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I honestly thought for a while that Patty would be better.

Did Cyril not have some kind of "wanna be in Melbourne" thing?
    That was the word from the 2's watchers a few years ago.
    That Vepsa would be better. Still can't get a game while Cyril is back to his brilliant best.

Not sure about your qn.

I hadnt heard the stay in melbourne stuff. Even so we have kept a couple who wanted to go home with our club culture, so wouldnt have been too big an issue. (Although who knows if he would have reached such heights with the swans. The Hawks do seem to get their young blokes up pretty well)

Blog Entries
    I'm probably wrong, I thought there was something along those lines in the Emma Quayle book but I might be thinking of something else.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm probably wrong, I thought there was something along those lines in the Emma Quayle book but I might be thinking of something else.
    There were definitely suggestions that non-Vic clubs were put off by a suggestion he didn't want to leave Melbourne. He also presented at Draft Camp in pretty ordinary shape.

Roos said at the time of that draft (or shortly afterwards) that they had narrowed that pick down to Vez or Jack Grimes. (And the second pick down to Meredith or Andy Otten.)

On the Rookie List
    Why would you want such an attacking player and great goal assist to play in the backlines?

Blog Entries
    As much help as he'd be, if having Cyril would mean having to listen to commentators go on about him every week like they have tonight maybe it's for best!

I remember being gutted at the time with not picking Cyril. For mine he was and alwasy was, better then Vez.

Everytime I see him now, I annoy my wife by telling her that we could have had him

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Roos said at the time of that draft (or shortly afterwards) that they had narrowed that pick down to Vez or Jack Grimes. (And the second pick down to Meredith or Andy Otten.)
    Oh god what could have been.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There were definitely suggestions that non-Vic clubs were put off by a suggestion he didn't want to leave Melbourne. He also presented at Draft Camp in pretty ordinary shape.

He also said that there were some supporters for Cyril on draft day. Sigh...

This is a great call - I've been thinking why spend a fortune on a so-so key forward when you could get a bona fide superstar (albeit one with some history of injuries and a question mark over aerobic capacity to be a midfielder). On balance, given he'd be well below #5 on Hawks' salary cap, why not promise to make him and everyone on the Tiwi Islands a millionaire? Make it happens Swans!