Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Smith, No Swans

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Good ordinary player in the Crouchy mould, every team needs these types of players.

Doubt he'll ever be captain the team
    We have very different views on both counts. Crouch was way better than ordinary, was our best player in the finals overall in 2005. Smith, while not slow, doesn't have Crouch's pace but manages to be as effective a stopper.
    And his leadership potential is widely noted.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    We have very different views on both counts. Crouch was way better than ordinary, was our best player in the finals overall in 2005. Smith, while not slow, doesn't have Crouch's pace but manages to be as effective a stopper.
    And his leadership potential is widely noted.
    I'm not bagging Crouch or Smith as I think they are/were both good players, but I think there is some overrating of Smith's potential.

Some posters seem to think he can take the step up to be one of the comp's premier midfielders who can win his own ball and cause damage to the opposition, I'd love it if that was to be the case but I can't see it happening. At 23 years old he is our premier stopper in the backline and could probably play a similar role in the midfield, although I note he has never played on a Judd or Ablett. I think there are probably others ahead of him in line for the captaincy

As for Crouchy, he was one of my favourites and you're correct about his role in 2005, we sorely missed him in 2006. He was a good player and rated extremely highly internally, but I doubt he would be regarded by many outside the inner sanctum as a champion of the game

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Played 6 senior games.....
    I thought he had played a few games around 1971, but the oracle Jim Main doesn't have him in the edition of the Encyclopedia of League Footballers that I have. Good one Jim, you missed another Swans player.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I thought he had played a few games around 1971, but the oracle Jim Main doesn't have him in the edition of the Encyclopedia of League Footballers that I have. Good one Jim, you missed another Swans player.
    According to: RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com

Jeff McGee was number #26 from 1967-1968

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123