Thread: Essendon

Essendon

Terrific game last night. Anyone else watch?

David Hille was using his body well, and a great shepherding effort allowing Monfries (I think?) to mark and goal. Ottens intercepted a kick in defense. How about Fletcher though? He receives the ball around the forward fifty doesn't get a kick away in time, smothered ball goes down the other end and, Geelong gets one back. I thought he was pretty ordinary the rest of the game as well; Hurley was exceptional, looked really switched on in defense he'll be a VC soon enough I reckon.

Tim Lane said of Fletcher "Sometimes it just seems like he'll go on forever" and I thought, seems like that about you too Tim, you sound tired. Darcy and Lloyd have much more interesting things to say.. Lane says largely irrelevent things really drawn out and slowly meanwhile the play is moving on!

And just a coincidence Regurgitators song "music is sport" came on as I started this thread. Football rules. Without foxtel I didn't get to see my team, but at least I saw this. Game of the season out of the games I've seen.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    BRB, I think the bombers had a fair bit of inside knowledge on the Geelong players!! They seem to be developing a habit of ending teams' winning streaks, first St Kilda in 2009 and now Geelong.

But yes it looked like it was a great game. Certainly better than what we dished out last night.

It was excellent. They really really wanted it. The Cats didn't play badly by any means, the Bombers just wouldn't give up.

There's a video on the first post of this thread that I think really illustrates the kind of game it was.
    Melksham's Match Winner - BigFooty

Any thoughts on Essendon's grumblings over the use of Bombers by the new Brisbane NRL expansion franchise (which is no certainty to ever see the light of day but probably has more chance than most others)?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Any thoughts on Essendon's grumblings over the use of Bombers by the new Brisbane NRL expansion franchise (which is no certainty to ever see the light of day but probably has more chance than most others)?
    Brisbane NRL club should find a new name IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Brisbane NRL club should find a new name IMO.
    Definitely. It smacks of trying to tack on to a successful brand (and a popular one in Brisbane, no less). It's not as if there is a shortage of mascots out there, and plenty that are more relevent to Brisbane.
    10100111001 ;-)

I love the sight of a big VFL club moved to a parochial fury. Honestly, just because something is big in Victoria doesn't mean anyone else cares. I can't believe there are more than a dozen people in Brisbane who could even identify the Bombers.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

It's all well and good for the NRL to say...."What about the Tigers and Bulldogs", the history of those names being in both national competitions started as state leagues that had not links to anything outside of their state. It was in the days that there wasn't syndicated TV so that everyone, across Australia, could know aht is going on in the other leagues whether they want to or not. I am sure the Bombers would have no opposition to a "Bombers" moniker in a state or local league, in fact, many teams do have it, but to attempt to start a new team in a national league, no matter what the football code, is doomed from the start.....or at least the name is.
    Does God believe in Atheists?