Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Bad Barry

Barry did indeed make many, many great contributions to the Swans but unfortunately he will be mostly remembered for that punch on Brent Staker.

Regular in the Side
    I am not stopping people from booing Barry Hall. It is your perfect right to do so. But in myopinion, I repeat: it is childish to boo Barry Hall. Immature, purile-childish.

I also repeat: to be SO ingrateful about his contributions to the club, particularly in light of 2005, that you feel the NEED to boo him: I question if one is a true Swans supporter. Afterall, he is the only one of four players to captain the club to a VFL/AFL Premiership in their history. And I don't care if you've been supporting the club since 1874!

Finally, I pose the question to those of you who booed Barry Hall. If you are consistent with your attitude to Hall, you will be compelled to boo him the night he is honoured by the club with a Hall of Fame disitinction, (and that night will come eventually)

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    It greatly disappoints me that some people wish to focus on the very few negatives, and not remember the many, many, many positive contributions made by Barry Hall to the club. I repeat: those who booed Barry Hall are not Swans supporters, and need to grow up. .
    Thanks for the feedback - I shall immediately dispose of my membership card and send all of my red and white supporter gear off to St Vinnies...

Veteran Site Admin
    Finally, I pose the question to those of you who booed Barry Hall. If you are consistent with your attitude to Hall, you will be compelled to boo him the night he is honoured by the club with a Hall of Fame disitinction, (and that night will come eventually)
    Not really. Yesterday he was wearing an opposition jumper (and keeping them in the game). He decided to announce his retirement the week before the game played against his old team, and yet at his retirement press conference, declared his undying love for his current club. He is well within his rights to do so, but it would be a bit hypocritical of him to them expect us to warmly cheer him when he is lining up for goal against him.

If he is ever inducted into the Swans' Hall of Fame (and I agree, he certainly deserves to be), he may be able to put aside his Footscray allegiances for the night, and reflect warmly on the fantastic success he achieved for himself and the club while wearing our guernsey. In which case, he will deservedly be applauded. Greg Williams probably thinks of himself primarily as a Navy Blue, but that doesn't stop him being gracious whenever he attends a Swans function, and of speaking fondly of the club.

I didn't boo him yesterday, mind. Booing isn't really my thing. But I do confess to applauding a couple of his behinds (something else I almost never do).

I am not stopping people from booing Barry Hall. It is your perfect right to do so. But in myopinion, I repeat: it is childish to boo Barry Hall. Immature, purile-childish.

I also repeat: to be SO ingrateful about his contributions to the club, particularly in light of 2005, that you feel the NEED to boo him: I question if one is a true Swans supporter. Afterall, he is the only one of four players to captain the club to a VFL/AFL Premiership in their history. And I don't care if you've been supporting the club since 1874!

Well here's something for you to ponder. Those who didn't boo Barry Hall are not true Swans supporters because the club comes before player allegiances.

Now obviously that's a load of crap but hopefully you get the point that assessing someone as not a true supporter is rubbish. Happy for you to criticize and disagree with people but cut out calling people childish and not true supporters.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I agree.

It hurt to watch him cutting us up and by himself keep the Dogs in the game but I couldn't help but smile as I saw him do it. He's still one of my favourite 3 players of all time and was fantastic yesterday. I just hope he kicks a few more bags before the year is out. And that he's inducted into our HoF next year. He deserves to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Stuff Barry Hall.

He cost us a premiership, and now wants to be remembered as a Dog
    My sentiments in a nutshell.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Well here's something for you to ponder. Those who didn't boo Barry Hall are not true Swans supporters because the club comes before player allegiances.

Now obviously that's a load of crap but hopefully you get the point that assessing someone as not a true supporter is rubbish. Happy for you to criticize and disagree with people but cut out calling people childish and not true supporters.
    Booing Barry Hall, noting his contribution to the club, particularly in 2005, makes an otherwise "Swans supporter" so negative, so lacking gratitude, such a profound absence of a balanced appreciation of the club's history, that their support for the club is diluted.

That's my opinion, nothing else. No ones taking away ya membership card. It's just a personal opinion!

And I stand by the view that booing is childish. We are taught as children not to boo. I booed Ray Chamberlain last week. I was angry and emotional, but conduct doesn't make it proper and mature. It was still silly, unpractical, unproductive, and yes-childish, based purely on negative emotions.
    Last edited by top40; 24th July 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks all for your replies to my post. Must admit I've felt a bit conflicted about the Barry Hall thing. I hated that he was disrespectful to the Swans in his retirement announcement but in my 50 years of following the Bloods, he's the only Swan I've seen lift up a Premiership Cup! I suppose the flat reception he received yesterday proves one thing. He may have "moved on" since he left us - but so have we!

What the hell has booing him yesterday got to do with what he did for our club?? I dont see the connection at all...

We are taught as children not to boo......
    What, don't boo, at the football?????

That explains a lot about your weird attitude on this issue.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast