Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All Australian squad

It's rigged.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Joel Selwood has mastered the art of turning his body and pushing his arms out and up when being tackled. More often than one of the tacklers arms bounces up of his arm and hits him. Very frustrating but what can you do. I think Chappy frustrates me more. He clearly dives at the faintest of touches.

Warming the Bench
    I don't think Mumford has had a better year than last season. He has missed games and had a few quiet ones. So i wasn't disappointed in him not making the 40 man squad. My real gripe is with Teddy he has been enormous for us this year. I can only think of 1-2 games when he has been geniunely beaten. As a team our points against is very competitive with the top 4 again this is largely due to Teddy being able to beat the "big forward" from the opposition. He has also added a lot of drive from defence and his one on one marking has been top notch.

I don't think he should have made the final AA team (although he wouldn't be out of place) but a 40 man nomination is what he deserves.
    I hope he shows them up in the finals series and a Best & Fairest might not be out of reach either

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Joel Selwood has mastered the art of turning his body and pushing his arms out and up when being tackled. More often than one of the tacklers arms bounces up of his arm and hits him. Very frustrating but what can you do.
    Yeah it is very, very frustrating. Though I don't think it's in quite the same unclassy ballpark, the deliberate strategy to earn free kicks reminds me of Lloyd's last few years when he would literally swan-dive into the ground when he felt his opposition defender touch his back. Lost a lot of respect for him when he started doing that, not in the spirit of the game IMO.

Again, Selwood's not quite in the same vein but still, he missed six games this year yet still warranted a selection. Seems he got in on reputation rather than effort.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Joel Selwood has mastered the art of turning his body and pushing his arms out and up when being tackled. More often than one of the tacklers arms bounces up of his arm and hits him. Very frustrating but what can you do. I think Chappy frustrates me more. He clearly dives at the faintest of touches.
    Selwood is amazing for folding at the knees as soon as the tackler approaches. It works too as he leads the league in frees for. Interesting to see that Swans players were tackling him around the waist to avoid the frees - and we got the win. It may be legal but it's very annoying. I've never had reason to watch Cats games as closely as our recent win and doing that his technique really stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I reckon that, as a rule of thumb, there should be a vague correlation between ladder position and number of players in the squad. For North to have four players in and the Swans just one, despite the 6 points and considerable percentage difference in their ladder status suggests the radar is off somewhat.

I don't think Mumford deserves to be in this year - his best has been very good but he hasn't been able to produce it all year. But I do think ROK and/or Jude are a tad stiff. And Teddy too, though I suspect he is too low profile.
    That's exactly why AA selection is a wank.

Eddie Betts ahead of Andrew Walker? Astounding.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Yeh, Walker missing out for Betts is just mind-boggling.

As I said earlier, Mummy just missed too many games to get a serious look in (Leuenberger should have been the next ruckman to get in in my mind, probably followed by Mumford). ROK I think had a definite case to be included over Embley and Teddy had a case over Murphy (though they are different types of backmen). But those 2 are close run things and there are a few others around the league that could be thinking the same way. Trent Cotchin is one that springs to mind.

I would have thought Fletcher was at least level with Teddy, to be fair. I think it's a good squad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123