Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega merged trading thread

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Tigers fans seem to reckon that Morton played his best football for them when allowed to play in the midfield. But then he was put back forward again and went back to old, bad habits. It is not secret that, while we need to improve conversion in front of goal, we also need to improve the quality of delivery into the forward line. Armstrong and Morton could both be part of Longmire's grand plan to achieve this.
    I see him more of a Steve Johnson type (albeit an Aldi-style version) - has the skill and nous to play in the midfield, but more dangerous up forward. I'm not sure he has the workrate or fitness to play in the midfield, but we'll see. Nick Davis is probably a reasonable comparison in that sense. I think we desperately need other avenues to goal - we can't expect Reid to take 10 contested marks inside F50 each week to win us games.

I don't really remember it standing out, but looking at his stats from late 2010 (which I assume the Richmond fans are referring to), 5 of the last 6 games of the year he had 20+ possessions - all losses. To me that's a guy being let to run free in a different role for last few games in the second-bottom side. Having said that he was a highly-rated junior as a midfielder.

I'm quite happy with Armstrong - I think our disposal by foot in defence has been a notch above deplorable - way too many very ordinary kicks. Hopefully Armstrong and ideally a fit Malceski can make a big difference.

Veteran Site Admin
    I agree that largish stats in a losing team late in the season could be misleading. What we have, and the Tigers don't (or at least, didn't then) was a rock solid ball contesting unit.

Mitch Morton will be a good barometer for just how important a club's culture is. I'd make Rhyce Shaw vice captain in charge in Mitch Morton. This guy needs a full time minder. But I am actually very optimistic about Morton, and think he could easily be a starter in Round 1 if he gets his head right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Mitch Morton will be a good barometer for just how important a club's culture is. I'd make Rhyce Shaw vice captain in charge in Mitch Morton. This guy needs a full time minder. But I am actually very optimistic about Morton, and think he could easily be a starter in Round 1 if he gets his head right.
    He doesn't need a minder so much as he'll need a stable group of friends (though you couldn't get a better introduction to the Swans than from Shaw ). Moving to a new city when your shot down on your confidence - the last thing he needs is not to get along with the boys and not fit in.

Just on him playing better as a mid that a forward, one of the biggest criticisms on him is that he is a selfish player. To some extent being a forward gives you a greater opportunity to seek personal glory, while as a mid achieving success has moreso to do with you providing an opportunity for other people to kick goals. Maybe playing as a mind, inadvertently makes him less of a dick.

Meh, I'm sure Horse will tell him his role in very simple terms. Our whole team operates under the knowledge that if every player achieves their little job on the field, we will win.

Meant more of a good example, friend than a minder, in that Shaw went from similar situation at Collingwood to 2nd B&F this year, so what better example could you have. I'm hoping Mitch can turn his game around and become a real team player. I am quite confident that he will. Richmond was not the right sort of place for someone like Mitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Meant more of a good example, friend than a minder, in that Shaw went from similar situation at Collingwood to 2nd B&F this year, so what better example could you have. I'm hoping Mitch can turn his game around and become a real team player. I am quite confident that he will. Richmond was not the right sort of place for someone like Mitch.
    My first thought about MM was to link Shaw up with him (his 2nd 2ndB&F BTW); he didn't get Best Club Man and a standing O from the players for nothing. He is something else, and it is good.

There is such a broad range of people who play with the Swans; nuggety bulls like Luke Parker, teachers/organisers like Doggy, gentle gentlemen like LRT, gigglers, statesmen, you know, the whole gammet. I am sure MM will find a similar soul. Also they have their mentors, and they partner them up pretty well from what I observed.

If that fails they could always sic Stuey onto him. The man you can't lie to. Its all in the eyes.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Blood View Post
    I am worried about the number of mediocre/unproven forwards we now have on our list: White, Spangher, Walsh, Everitt, Morton, TDL. Not sure we have enough midfield depth.
    Me'thinks you might be a little on the grim side here. OK the Swans haven't got a forward in the class of a Lockett or a Hall. Still, there is huge potential for Reid and Walsh to develop. And I haven't given up on Jesse White yet. What might do as a short term trick is to draft a "middle age" tall forward from a competition such as the VFL or SANFL.

Speaking of the draft, can anyone confirm now that the Trade dust has settled, what Sydney's confirmed draft numbers are?

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Speaking of the draft, can anyone confirm now that the Trade dust has settled, what Sydney's confirmed draft numbers are?
    They didn't change, which makes our live picks 43 and 61 (with Mitchell at 21, and our next pick not until the 90s).

On the topic of the draft and list management, with Bolton, Bradshaw, Kennelly, LJ and more likely than not Sumner off the list, and Armstrong, Walsh, Morton and Mitchell on, that requires another space to be made. That can be done easily enough by moving another veteran to the outside of the list (we only opted for one outside the list last season). Furthermore, Gordon is likely to be upgraded you'd think, meaning that one of Bevan and Currie will probably end up being delisted. Moore and Meredith would also be in the firing line, but they are apparently contracted until next year.

Come to think of it, Sumner could be contracted next year as well, since we signed all the other draftees from that draft for three years, as far as I'm aware.... Perhaps he'll stay on the list after all! Has there been any official word?

Anyway, our list is likely to end up looking like this:

Armstrong
    Bird
    Bolton
    TDL
    Everitt
    Goodes
    Gordon
    Grundy
    Hanners
    Heath
    Jack
    Jetta
    Johnson
    Kennedy
    Lamb
    Malceski
    Mattner
    McGlynn
    McVeigh
    Meredith
    Moore
    Morton
    Mitchell
    Mumford
    ROK
    Parker
    Pyke
    Reid
    Richards
    LRT
    Rohan
    Seaby
    Shaw
    Smith
    Spangher
    Walsh
    White
    Pick 43
    Pick 61
    Bevan/Currie
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veterans List
    Just reading the latest Walsh blurb on the Swans website and it raised a question - were our recruiters asleep at the wheel in 2009?

How did a player like Walsh who was a team mate of Tadgh Kennelly at Kerry end up signing with St.Kilda and not the Swans? Hmmmm, so the answer is?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just reading the latest Walsh blurb on the Swans website and it raised a question - were our recruiters asleep at the wheel in 2009?

How did a player like Walsh who was a team mate of Tadgh Kennelly at Kerry end up signing with St.Kilda and not the Swans? Hmmmm, so the answer is?
    Saints chased him for 2 years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225807325136

Tommy, Tommy, Tony and Mitch. Sounds like a band from the 60s.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Nice archival work Scott, so Nixon was involved!

Makes our trade yesterday even more meritorious and satisfying.