Thread: The Leadership

The Leadership

With so much optimism on and off the field at the moment the only area that concerns me for next year is the Captains issue. Is it time now for Macca to step aside and allow a younger player to become Captain/Co Captain?
    Would the team benefit longterm from someone like Hanners, Josh, or Mummy as Captain along with Goodsy? Personally I think its time for Jarryd to go.

I've never been a fan of the multi captain model even though it hasn't done the club any harm by having it.

I like the tradition of one captain and seeing the way Goodes has grown this year into the role I think he should be sole captain of the club.

After Goodsey retires I think Hanners would make a great captain. He seems from the outside looking in to have outstanding leadership qualities.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

If Shaw was that bit better player going by how everyone at the club talks about him and respects him he'd make a great captain.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    With so much optimism on and off the field at the moment the only area that concerns me for next year is the Captains issue. Is it time now for Macca to step aside and allow a younger player to become Captain/Co Captain?
    Would the team benefit longterm from someone like Hanners, Josh, or Mummy as Captain along with Goodsy? Personally I think its time for Jarryd to go.
    He has only been in the role one year and Longmire has talked glowingly about his contribution as a captain. He is still pretty young himself - indeed in the prime of his career. If anyone is going to step aside I think it would be Goodes - though I am not suggesting he will or should.

Can't see any change to the club's captaincy at all for next season.

Veterans List
    If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it - and it ain't broke.

Plenty of time or those young(er) guys to show they are worthy of captaining the club when Goodsey retires and on what we saw this year that is still a little way off and maybe a lomng way off.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He is still pretty young himself - indeed in the prime of his career.
    He just seems older than 26. Hard to believe he will be around for another 5-6 years. I'd still prefer 1 Captain only or a youngster in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it - and it ain't broke.

Plenty of time or those young(er) guys to show they are worthy of captaining the club when Goodsey retires and on what we saw this year that is still a little way off and maybe a lomng way off.
    The "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it" concept certainly has merit but like Aardvark, I'd like to see just 1 captain.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Given the example of how the club/team pulled together after the death of Maccas daughter and slammed Geelong, I would say that he is very respected by the players. In all seriousness that is what really matters, not what we think.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Given the example of how the club/team pulled together after the death of Maccas daughter and slammed Geelong, I would say that he is very respected by the players. In all seriousness that is what really matters, not what we think.
    Exactly what I was going to write - The club obviously thinks having two captains is best for the club and that McVeigh and Goodes are the right people for the job. I don't think it's our place to know who is a leader of the club - I think that's an internal decision by those who know best.

That's very true GS & Alison but it doesn't hurt to state a preference even from the outside looking in.

Meh, can't we just have Goodes captain Macca vice or something. Don't see the problem we have with the tried and true captaincy model.

Living in 2005
    I'm a one captain man, but I think the Macca/Goodes combination works and I wouldn't like to see it tampered with just for the sake of it. We did win a Premiership with what seemed to be more captains than players in 2005, so as long as it works, it's fine.

I'm more interested to see what leadership group we have next year and to see if any of the young fellas get upgraded by the rest of the group.