Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody tried the AFL live app?

I can watch the highlights package, but the full games won't work because I have a wifi tablet.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Well, the noral to my story is to not ring Telstra (ever) about an AFL Live card
    After over 2 hours being directed and redirected to over 5 or 6 different departments, I beame aware the 80% of people I was speaking to did not know what AFL was.
    Most thought I was trying to say ADSL.
    Of those who did know what it was, none knew of the card.

In between phone calls I returned to teh Telstra shop, and they tried a different card.
    Also could not get the code to enter.
    I was given a phone number and told to ring it and have it manually entered by that person.
    Rung the number - same deal

Anyway, a couple of days later I tried teh Telstra shop again, and waited for 30 mins for the guy who originally served me as he described himself as the "AFL guy"

Turns out he wasn't quite "that guy" as he had originally bypassed the stage in having the card verified on their computer which made the code valid.
    Now it SEEMS to be working - will report back after this weekend.

It's a great deal - a shame that abosolutely no one knows anything about it.....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Well, the noral to my story is to not ring Telstra (ever) about an AFL Live card
    After over 2 hours being directed and redirected to over 5 or 6 different departments, I beame aware the 80% of people I was speaking to did not know what AFL was.
    Most thought I was trying to say ADSL.
    Of those who did know what it was, none knew of the card.

In between phone calls I returned to teh Telstra shop, and they tried a different card.
    Also could not get the code to enter.
    I was given a phone number and told to ring it and have it manually entered by that person.
    Rung the number - same deal

Anyway, a couple of days later I tried teh Telstra shop again, and waited for 30 mins for the guy who originally served me as he described himself as the "AFL guy"

Turns out he wasn't quite "that guy" as he had originally bypassed the stage in having the card verified on their computer which made the code valid.
    Now it SEEMS to be working - will report back after this weekend.

It's a great deal - a shame that abosolutely no one knows anything about it.....
    You know you can watch a replay of all games for free on afl.com
    You just have to wait 12 hours. I watched the swans Freo game on Monday night this way.

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    I watched quite a few games including our game on my iphone.

Works a treat no lag and quality quite good

I took out the one-month-free subscription so that I could see pre-season games that were only broadcast on Foxtel. Then I cancelled. (Cheapskate? Me?)

I had a few problems getting it working. Telstra were no help and in the end I worked out that it was one of my safari settings (block cookies?) Worked ok on my iPhone but i wish you could get them over wifi instead of just 3G.

Price seems pretty reasonable. I'm on holidays in early September so if I'm on the road I might buy a month's subscription to catch games I would otherwise miss.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    You know you can watch a replay of all games for free on afl.com
    You just have to wait 12 hours. I watched the swans Freo game on Monday night this way.
    Yeah, thanks Mr. Abittoolate
    I didn't know that but even if I did, I don't mind paying.
    Besides, I'd inadvertatly find out the result in teh 12 hour gap....

I never had a problem with paying to see the games - I just never wanted to pay for something I DIDN'T want, like a full Foxtel service.
    50 bucks for every game of the season is pretty good value.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, thanks Mr. Abittoolate

I didn't know that but even if I did, I don't mind paying.
    Besides, I'd inadvertatly find out the result in teh 12 hour gap....
    I always know the result, too.
    The other issue is you can see when the goals were kicked, so you can wait, or jump to them. skip the boring bits.

I never had a problem with paying to see the games - I just never wanted to pay for something I DIDN'T want, like a full Foxtel service.
    50 bucks for every game of the season is pretty good value.
    That's $50 for the first year, then it goes up the following years

Ah, the joys of Telstra. As an ex employee, I have a love hate relationship... The worst thing about being through an overseas call centre is the quality of the lines. They use highly compressed IP lines and the result is low volume and very poor line quality. The poor buggers in the call centres have a limited number of things they can do and as soon as you go outside that, you are in no mans land. Of course, it's not just Telstra, I've had pretty awful experiences with support from Virgin Blue lately as well.

Anyway, I have the app and have had mixed experiences. Video quality on my Galaxy Nexus is pretty bad - it's low resolution and blocky looking. I was waiting for an appointment yesterday and tried watching some of the game and had an error. However, it does buffer pretty well, not waiting for reload (when it works). All things considered, I think it is a pretty good solution for a good price.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post

I always know the result, too.
    The other issue is you can see when the goals were kicked, so you can wait, or jump to them. skip the boring bits.
    That's $50 for the first year, then it goes up the following years
    I would be tempted to skip lol
    How does it go up next year?
    Mine was a pre paid card over the counter.
    Unless they increase the card price to $60 or $70...
    eitehr way, I'll test it out tomorrow night. I look forward to being able to spoil a Collingwood game by seeing the result with an hours to go on FTA TV.
    Unless of course it is televised live, and why SHOULDN'T Collingwood games be televised live on FTA, Foxtel, the internet and on the big screen in Federation Square?

Blog Entries
    I would be tempted to skip lol
    How does it go up next year?
    Mine was a pre paid card over the counter.
    Unless they increase the card price to $60 or $70...
    eitehr way, I'll test it out tomorrow night. I look forward to being able to spoil a Collingwood game by seeing the result with an hours to go on FTA TV.
    Unless of course it is televised live, and why SHOULDN'T Collingwood games be televised live on FTA, Foxtel, the internet and on the big screen in Federation Square?
    My bad on the $50.
    I was thinking of the foxtel per month sub for the first year. Not the AFL app.

Now the upside....

If you manage to get everything acually on your phone, it works a treat.

Excellent picture (only had minor pixilation a few times) and only dropped out 3 or 4 times and reconnected straight away.

Best bit was that I didn't have to tape the F1 qualifying, as I could watch both together, live.

Best bit - I get to see everSwnas game this year, if I'm at a resturant, on holiday in Australia, olit with my friends etc, so long as there is a 3G signal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12