Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Launceston

Launceston

Hi everyone. Rather than tie this up on page 31 of the Game Day thread I thought I'd post something new, so forgive the indulgence. I got back from Launceston on Monday afternoon and, after a recovery day, wanted to post some general comments on the trip, the fans, the venue etc.

Obviously the final result and the way we achieved it can't help but cloud my perceptions of the trip but I'd have to say that it's a thoroughly enjoyable venue to visit and Launceston is a great little city. I have been there before but this visit just enhanced its reputation to me. Aurora Stadium was a fantastic venue, with just the right mix of "country town" and "professional arena" to it. The food options were decent, the beer was easy to get to (although I only had two, but it was noticeable) the seats were fine and the outfield itself was super high class, close to the best looking field I've seen to be honest. The quality of the football reflected the quality of the pitch.

We purchased tickets through the club and they were very helpful. We were seated in the Northern Terrace next some some very nice Swans fans and a couple of rows behind Julian and his flags. While I'm not a personal fan of "contrived" cheering, the genuine support from Swans fans was great throughout the game and, when we mounted our comeback, was superb (although I'm one of the "don't sing the club song until the final siren" brigade). You could see the players were amazed by how much red and white there was and they all came over to give us a big thanks at the end of the game.

It's always worth trying to get to an away game for the experience and the camaraderie and trips like this only help to reinforce that. I came home so fired up about the club and team that I love and with so much respect for the effort and skill they put on display. Long live daytime football!

The steaks at the Jailhouse Grill were bloody marvellous too!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    I went there for a Hawthorn v North Melbourne match a couple of years back. Bitingly cold, rain and hail throughout the first half, but apart from that the venue seemed pretty good!

Every swans fan should get to an away game. It is heaps of fun, go to at least 3-4 a year.

The last time I was at Aurora Stadium, you were able to buy this utterly delicious mixture of fresh blueberries with fresh, chilled cream. Heaven!

Lovely city, steeped in history, but can become brisk when the sun gets low - reckon it was 22 mid afternoon and zero by 10pm when i was there!

Aurora has that real suburban ground feel, but nothing is missing so far as amenities, and most important, just a leisurely stroll to/from the Boag's Brewery!!!

If they could supply scallops and crays. There is an argument that games should be played at the brewery. Sure, the kegs/barrels and brewing equipment might get in the way, but i think the pluses outweigh the negatives.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Every swans fan should get to an away game. It is heaps of fun, go to at least 3-4 a year.
    I have not missed a game at Homebush in yonks....

Its not the best place to live

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyburt View Post
    Nah I'm convinced I'm an away games curse! I went to Sydney v Richmond at MCG and Sydney v Hawthorn in week 2 Finals last year and we lost both of them! If we lose to Richmond again, I'll never go to Melbourne for a Swans game ever lol

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I have not missed a game at Homebush in yonks....
    Bwahahaha ...
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Nah I'm convinced I'm an away games curse! I went to Sydney v Richmond at MCG and Sydney v Hawthorn in week 2 Finals last year and we lost both of them! If we lose to Richmond again, I'll never go to Melbourne for a Swans game ever lol
    I was at both those games also Damy, so everyone put your money on the Saints in a few weeks time cause I'm going to that one also!

I really wanted to go to the Launceston game, but the $$$ just weren't there unfortunately. However, I love doing away games. I do 3 or 4 of the Melbourne games each year, last year was my first trip to Perth (that was such a fun night - the long Sydney chant near the end was just wonderful), and this year will be my first trip to see us play on the Gold Coast. Away trips are good fun... even if the team doesn't win, invariably its great to get around the country and follow the boys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast