Thread: Round 9: Sydney Swans Reserves v Eastlake Demons

Blog Entries
    2 101 point wins today!!
    How likely is that to happen?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Best: Seaby Spangher Biggs Lewington Meredith Cunningham

...waits for more teeth gnashing re Morton

Veterans List
    So Tom Mitchell with 35 quality possessions in 70 minutes of football doesn't get into Besat Players? hmmmmm

He'll be "handy" in the seniors later in the year methinks :-)

Just to clarify those are the official best players not mine

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So Tom Mitchell with 35 quality possessions in 70 minutes of football doesn't get into Besat Players? hmmmmm

He'll be "handy" in the seniors later in the year methinks :-)
    If that is a sign of things to come from Mr Mitchell, all I can say is 'Ohhhhh yeh!!' Looking forward to his debut in the seniors at some stage, which if today's numbers are anything to go by, will not be in the distant future once full fitness is reached.

Veterans List
    Biggs in the best again. What is the mail on his game?

While I'm off the Lamb bandwagon for the time being I am well and truly on the Tommy Mitchell bandwagon. The kid is ready made for AFL. Needs a month or so of solid footy to get match fit but hen he must come into serious consideration for a senior debut.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Mitchell looked like he was under orders not to go too hard, seemed to spend a lot of the game in second gear. The left foot disposal is just to die for, but also servicable on the right. As the big boy said, look out when he gets fit. Tommy Walsh played OK in his debut today, but the Spang has him under a lot of pressure already - he monstered the Eastlake defence. The new toppie #60 looks very interesting - certainly ate his weeties up, must be about 6' 8" at least, but not the awkward gangly type at all.
    Pay peanuts get monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    While I'm off the Lamb bandwagon for the time being I am well and truly on the Tommy Mitchell bandwagon. The kid is ready made for AFL. Needs a month or so of solid footy to get match fit but hen he must come into serious consideration for a senior debut.
    I agree Al this kid is good! So fluent in all his actions. He never goes out of step to kick every thing is in one movement and first decision never dithering. His handball rates with Luke Parker's H/B! I love Biggs he is very ballanced. I thought Bret M was good today too. Nipper also. Morton was really clever. Spang and Jesse got some super delivery and who is that kid number 54 he is pretty good for a toppie. I also liked that young ruckman number 60 he taps the ball like Jason ball, soft hands I like that straight down the rover's throat. Mitch must have thought it was his birthday when this kid started palming straight to him and he got five clearances for four goals! All handballs to players moving past toward our goal! So quick I don't think the opposition knew the ball had been palmed off until a goal or point got scored.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    That would be triple b

Interesting game they tried players in different positions. Meredith in defence white and everitt started many centre bounces in the last quarter
    Funnily enough that actually worked. Jesse did a lot of his best work in the last

Quote Originally Posted by Old Royboy View Post
    Mitchell looked like he was under orders not to go too hard, seemed to spend a lot of the game in second gear. The left foot disposal is just to die for, but also servicable on the right. As the big boy said, look out when he gets fit. Tommy Walsh played OK in his debut today, but the Spang has him under a lot of pressure already - he monstered the Eastlake defence. The new toppie #60 looks very interesting - certainly ate his weeties up, must be about 6' 8" at least, but not the awkward gangly type at all.
    The kid reminded me of how Jason ball used to palm the ball down. He put it straight down Mitchell's throat so often he must have thought it was Xmas! He used them well too in a 5 minute period we got 4.1 from 5 Mitchell handball that started a run. But the kid in the ruck deserved all the credit for his perfect tap ruck work!

Very enlightening reading the opinions on this game. Here are my thoughts

Mark Seaby spent less time in the ruck and a little more time as forward especially in the last quarter. He finished with 4 goals, including 3 in the first quarter. Those 3 were more a result of his teammates's great work, including one fifty metre penalty that took him right to the goal line, rather than any dominant forward play by Seabs. A solid performance but not a totally dominant one. His main reliever was not Jesse White as expected, but a young topup #60 by the name of Sam Naismith. Given that he was listed as an Academy player at the start of the season, that puts his age around the 18 mark. ORB's estimate of 6 foot 8 is probably about right juding by his relative height compared to other players. He's not your usual skinny beanpole that we have seen in some past (listed) ruckmen. Anyway, his taps were good (BTW Taubert earnt double keep today, he was giving advice in the quarter time/3 quarter time huddles in both reserves and seniors games to Naismith and Pyke respectively) and provided solid leads but when he had the ball was too slow in his decision making and also seemed hesistant in attacking the loose balls on the ground. While it was an encouraging performance for his first game, I wouldn't go as far as wolfie in suggesting he will be drafted any time soon.

Jesse's performance was disappointing in my eyes, and but for a little patch in the third quarter where he kicked 3 goals in quick succession, he continued to frustrate. Poor late leads which resulted in balls dropping at his feet, too much ball watching and a propensity to get involved in wrestling contests with his man rather than lead out and provide a forward target. He did improve when he was moved into an on-ball role and looks very athletic and impressive when carrying the ball through the midfield but I fail to see how that helps him to develop into the key forward that we all want him to be.

Andrejs Everitt was similarly disappointing, it was hard to pinpoint his exact role but on the wing would be the best description. Floated between the two 50 arcs and seemed to coast from contest to contest. Once in a while he excited us with a strong grab and pinpoint delivery, but this proved to be the exception rather than the norm. In the last quarter we had the weird but strangely enjoyable sight of White and Everitt starting in the centre square alongside the ruckman. We also had the strange occurence of Everitt being the third man up in some ruck contests, which never ever happens at reserves level basically because our rucks are usually dominant in this league. I'm not sure what this role would indicate about the coaches' thoughts about Everitt's future - whether they see him as a wingman or will they continue using him as an utility plugging gaps in the lineup.

Not too much to add to the Tom Mitchell gushing, just would caution that they're still easing him back into it and won't be considered for senior selection for a few more weeks. I do remember there were some scouting reports before last year's draft that questioned his kicking but today illustrated he has penetration and depth on his left foot. Clearance work was excellent as well. The other Mitchell, Mitch Morton finished with another bag (6 today) and again no mention in the best list. While I'm a avowed non-Morton fan, I think this was a rather harsh judgment and I rated this performance much higher than his 10 goals against Sydney Uni 2 weeks ago. There were no cheapies this time around, with some strong leading and marking, great finishing and some superb crumbing highlights of his game today. I can't see him finding a place in the seniors while TDL is in that team, they are too similar in build and style of play.

Matthew Spangher produced an energetic display in the forward line full of high flying leaps, desperate dives on the loose ball and determined chasing. The one thing that I love about Spangher and I'm sure endears him to the coaches is his attack on the ball, whether in marking contests or competiting for ground balls - he's fearless and always shows desperation. When you compare the endeavour of Spangher to some of the insipid contests offered by White and Everitt, if I was a a coach I know without doubt which player I would prefer. Spangher was a victim of some crude defensive spoils late in the last quarter, earning free kicks and converting them. He really pushed up the ground and played out the whole game which is a good sign of his fitness.

Jarred Moore played in the midfield less, and roamed around half-forward more. He found the ball regularly and used it well but was not as dominating as he has been. Again very efficient in his decision making and finding the open man when delivering the ball inside 50 and would have finished wilh multiple assists to his name.

Brett Meredith started on the bench and only came on late in the first quarter. He moved to the backline after the quarter time break and proceeded to provide good run off the half back flank whilst playing quite loose on his man. He was never troubled defensively so this role worked out quite well for him. A lot of work is being put into Harry Cunningham in making him an inside mid. Today his main task was to follow Ryan Brabazon around, in an attempt to counter his running game. He did well in this regard keeping Brabazon quiet and managed to win some clean clearances of his own accord.

Campbell Heath had the job on Aaron Bruce and Bruce had a few telling touches near the end of the first quarter which set off some consternation amongst the Swans coaches at the quarter time huddle with first Crouchy then Maxfield having extensive one-on-one talks with Heath involving some arm waving and body positioning. Bruce was kept under wraps from then on, and Heath even had the luxury of starting the 2nd half on the bench before being called upon when Eastlake enjoyed the most dominant spell of the game in that first 10 minutes of that half.

Whilst Jed Lamb didn't have a sparkling game, there were a few promising signs that suggest he is slowly turning the corner. He was a lot more competitive than at the last home game, and his ball use was more considered and less erratic. He hurt his shoulder in a marking contest during the 3rd quarter, went off and was looked at, came back in that same quarter but was still being checked out by the medicos in the last. Shane Biggs - neat player predominantly in the back half during the first half and moved in the midfield during the re-shuffle in the last quarter. A smart player who links up well with players around him.

Following up a week's rest as the non-playing emergency, Nathan Gordon returned to the side as a midfielder/high half-forward rather than the deep forward position he occupied when kicking 10 against Sydney Uni. Didn't trouble the scorers this time round, and while he got his hands on the pill a fair few times his disposal still lets him down too often.

Jordan Lockyer, Jack Lynch, Dylan McNeil and Eugene Kruger all spent periods on the bench due to the listed players restrictions. Lockyer played more when Tony Armstrong was taken off in the 2nd half as the senior emergency on standby. He showed strong hands in a couple of his marks and was accurate with his handballs. Armstrong instigated a few runs from defence but was relatively quiet. Lynch played mostly in defence, with a late, late spell forward; McNeil in the guts as usual and Kruger a bit further up the ground than the back pocket spot he has been occupying in the past month or so.

Topups - #60 is Naismith as already mentioned. #47 is the regular toppie, Jackson Potter, #51 Jack Davis and #52 Lachlan Kilpatrick I recognise these two from their previous outings. There were only two others #53 and #54 unaccounted for, these belonged to either James Lewington or Adam Gulden. At a guess I would say #54 was Lewington as he was the better player in my eyes at least, and he earnt a mention in the best list. (as an aside, it pisses me off that the scoreboard no longer shows the team lists at half and full time. This was a common practice 5-6 years ago and I don't understand how they can go backwards in this regard. I could be wrong but it feels like this ceased when the new 'improved' scoreboard was installed a few years ago.)

Reserves 6.3 11.5 16.7 22.12 (144)
    Eastlake 0.3 2.6 3.12 5.13 (43)

Goals: Morton 6 White 4 Seaby 4 Spangher 4 Moore Kilpatrick Lockyer Mitchell
    Best: Spangher Morton Mitchell Cunningham Meredith Biggs

The NEAFL takes a break next week when with the rep games QLD/NT v NSW/ACT at both senior and U21 levels taking place on the Gold Coast. Topup players Jackson Potter and Tim Wales will be playing for NSW/ACT U21s. The competition resumes the week after when the Ressies take on the Gold Coast Reserves as the curtain raiser before the Western Bulldogs game
    Last edited by ugg; 20th May 2012 at 03:32 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast