Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 9: Sydney Swans Reserves v Eastlake Demons

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Jessica was doing his usual Jeckyl and Hyde routine. His first half was'nt good, the 3rd qtr involved some goals and at the start of the 4th when he appeared in the middle, I assumed Jared Crouch must be having another one of his surreal midfiled moments (a few weeks ago he had Nipper Gordon taking the taps). But Jessica actually looked impressive and I had to re-assess my thinking. Could Crouchy be trying to emulate the way Worsfold tried Quintin Lynch on the ball for west coast?????????

However to return to reality for a moment:

Spanky was fantastic, best game in the seconds I have seen from him. Appears to be cherry-ripe for selection in the firsts, the only question is ?Where??

Lockyer also looks very good, strongly built, he has good disposal and can mark. More importantly he looks far more interested in what's happening than his predecessor in the number 23 jumper. Someone to watch.

And I agree with ugg regarding Sam Naismith, way to early to start pumping up that kid's tyres.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Was impressed with 60, Naismith(?) first airing - good build for a rucky, but not much 'game' sense - yet. Good solid arse, could prove difficult to move off his line if he gets "it" right.

Young Tom Mitchell sure has potential. He also has treetrunk legs. Its all there, makes good decisions and has exceptional response time; I will be happy to watch him develop into what we all think he could be.

Young Harry had his moments both positive and not so positive. Project in progress.

Nipper has me puzzled. I can't work out if he is a Senior in waiting, or a Sheesh!! what are you doing!
    Dylan McNeil may have plateaued. Hope not. (I said to someone he is kind of Peter Faulks like at present; which is not flattering - I am used to noting what he is doing in a game, and I barely noticed him yesterday - that may have been me)

Not enough competition in this game to really get a feel for what was actually happening. Mitch Morton could be a good pickup, but there is a reason he is not getting a gig. We have watched TDL blossom, but it has taken a lot of coaching to get him to be more than a one trick pony (ok, kicking goals, but here has to be more to an AFL player's game these days), so I shall be watching how MM develops this year with some interest.

Love watching Armstrong. Not sure why. He is just one of "those" players that grab your (my) attention.

Crouchy looks like he knows what he is doing. He'd make an interesting senior coach one day.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The thing that stood out for me was how much Mitchell resembles ROK from behind.
    Got some junk in his trunk.
    He is going to be great!

Senior Player
    I'm wondering if maybe we're still beating the selfishness out of inculcating the gameplan and culture into Morton.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    The thing that stood out for me was how much Mitchell resembles ROK from behind.
    Got some junk in his trunk.
    He is going to be great!
    Oooooh I think I just found my new favourite player

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Jessica was doing his usual Jeckyl and Hyde routine. His first half was'nt good, the 3rd qtr involved some goals and at the start of the 4th when he appeared in the middle, I assumed Jared Crouch must be having another one of his surreal midfiled moments (a few weeks ago he had Nipper Gordon taking the taps). But Jessica actually looked impressive and I had to re-assess my thinking. Could Crouchy be trying to emulate the way Worsfold tried Quintin Lynch on the ball for west coast?????????

However to return to reality for a moment:

Spanky was fantastic, best game in the seconds I have seen from him. Appears to be cherry-ripe for selection in the firsts, the only question is ?Where??

Lockyer also looks very good, strongly built, he has good disposal and can mark. More importantly he looks far more interested in what's happening than his predecessor in the number 23 jumper. Someone to watch.

And I agree with ugg regarding Sam Naismith, way to early to start pumping up that kid's tyres.
    All I am saying is he could be one to look at when it comes to draft time. We should be looking for a young ruckman to replace Seabs who is getting to the end of career. Pykie is also 28 this year so not too many left either. A young ruckman will be needed sooner rather than later. If this kid has been at the academy he has been indoctrinated to the Swans Ethos! We'll see next year a rookie list player to develop even!

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    I'm wondering if maybe we're still beating the selfishness out of inculcating the gameplan and culture into Morton.

Possibly but he played well yesterday. He competed for everything. In the first half Jesse seemed a bit disinterested but came into it toward the end of the second. There was something I noticed, when we kicked the ball in we always used the members stand side going to the Paddington end and it was predictable. We did this for half a quarter until they decided to break it up going down the other side and up the guts.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    All I am saying is he could be one to look at when it comes to draft time. We should be looking for a young ruckman to replace Seabs who is getting to the end of career. Pykie is also 28 this year so not too many left either. A young ruckman will be needed sooner rather than later. If this kid has been at the academy he has been indoctrinated to the Swans Ethos! We'll see next year a rookie list player to develop even!
    I can understand your enthusiasm with Naismith given his size makes him standout in relation to the other topups. All I'm saying is he still has a long way to go in his development, and we haven't had a great track record with developing ruckmen that we have drafted either. Currie, Meiklejohn, Ericksen, Earl Shaw all come to mind.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks to ugg, Primmy, R'n'R, Wolftone and all who have commented. Much appreciated south of the border.
    A thought: people sometimes say there isn't a place for Morton while TDL is in the firsts. I wonder whether the one at risk might be McGlynn, especially given the way the coaches seem to be encouraging TDL to spend more time around the centre. And (I rely on the ressie watchers here) I get the impression they are doing the same thing with Morton.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Hi Di,
    Morton's first few games were played up the ground (even the backline), but his purple patch of reserves form have co-incided with his appearance in the forward line. ATM he's playing closer to goal than TDL has this year.
    PS
    For those interested in the Swans ruck stocks, apparently young Currie is doing well in the SANFL

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Hi Di,
    Morton's first few games were played up the ground (even the backline), but his purple patch of reserves form have co-incided with his appearance in the forward line. ATM he's playing closer to goal than TDL has this year.
    PS
    For those interested in the Swans ruck stocks, apparently young Currie is doing well in the SANFL
    Pssst. It's 'Dim', not 'Di'. He's not one of the Swantits...

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Pssst. It's 'Dim', not 'Di'. He's not one of the Swantits...
    I assumed he was a male of Welsh extraction . . . . so what does 'Dim' stand for?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast