Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Bombers Game Day Thread

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I don't believe he walked through the mark. He thought he was standing the mark as Kennedy started to run off. But the fact he was 2 metres over the mark, I think it was more of a misunderstanding on Pykes part. I thought this at the time, then in the replay, and I saw it again this morning!!

But the lesson will have been learnt. didn't cost the game in the end.
    That sounds logical but I would prefer the "being chased by a moose in childhood flashback" as the real reason.

Umpire should have showed him where the mark was if there was no one standing on it as he stopped and didn't keep running if I remember correctly.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Just watched the ABC TV news coverage. Much better! The headline they used was "Bloods Believe", and it only got better. While giving full credit to Essendon for their 4th quarter, they emphasised the skill and determination that put us in front and enabled us to hang on for the win. Somewhat different from Ch7 with its "poor old Essendon" attitude. Yes, I know they (7 that is) are broadcasting to a Melbourne audience, but there are a lot of bloods in Melbourne.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The story for me was the game plan. Was it deliberate to be un-Swans-like from the start:

a) because that was a reaction to having Parker and McGlynn out;
    b) there is a Plan B gameplan for 'bigger' grounds;
    c) it was an accident that developed

When I turned on the TV, there was the end of a Leigh Tudor segment on the Swan's midfield tactics. What did it say, and was there any hint of what was to come? (for 3 quarters!)
    I'm not convinced that it was that "un-swans-like". It was just much better executed than it has been this year, partly due to Essendon's inability to apply enough pressure.

re:Pyke infringing on the mark:

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Umpire should have showed him where the mark was if there was no one standing on it as he stopped and didn't keep running if I remember correctly.
    I believe that the umpire pointed to the ground right at Kennedy's feet to set the mark. This was about 10m in front of the infringement. That was the source of confusion for Pyke I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    That sounds logical but I would prefer the "being chased by a moose in childhood flashback" as the real reason.

That was what was so strange. Pyke did stop as if he was standing the mark, as I said before, it was 2 mtrs past the mark, so the ump possibly should have told him to come back.
    Unfortunately, Kennedy was already standing the mark, thus the confusion.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    re:Pyke infringing on the mark:
    I believe that the umpire pointed to the ground right at Kennedy's feet to set the mark. This was about 10m in front of the infringement. That was the source of confusion for Pyke I think.
    In other words, the ump was a bit trigger-happy?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Have to say I felt sorry for Dempsey. No-one would have blamed him for missing a difficult kick after the siren but as it is, it's all about his bad decision in playing on. And credit to him for not arguing with the ump - he knew he played on and accepted it.

His decision to play on in the circumstances was not a poor one. It is instinctive when time is running out to play on. He was unlucky, you don't expect the siren to blow just as you step off your line. What if there were 30 seconds left, and he didn't play on, wasted precious time, and missed or didn't make the distance? He did what most players would do in the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    In other words, the ump was a bit trigger-happy?
    That was what I thought when the "incident" happened. Poor Pykey looked absolutely devastated. Someone tell him about Jimmy's blunder. that should help.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I thought the Bombers were trying to milk frees all night. They were bending the knees to get a head high or throwing themselves forward and getting them. That Watson mark wasn't and he interfered anyway. We went on the defensive in the last. I wonder when our coaches realised Watson had moved forward and they were going a lot quicker in the mids. they seemed to take forever to work it out. We needed to put them away and didn't. Very lucky thanks to Dempsey to get a win when it should have been a slaughter.

I also felt sorry for big Mike and thought him a bit stiff! He wasn't over the mark just within the zone as it is called now! Unfortunate but that is the rule. One on the mark and no player within 15 metres. I would like to thank Mal for kicking to the Bombers almost every kick he got last night. Loved Tony Armstrong's game very good delivery and I wish he and Drey were kicking out all night. I hate Rhyce kicking out! I don't like Marty much more! They are better utilised upfield getting the ball from the kick in. With pace & run we could be on a winner there. Tony pinpoints a player every time and runs on. Drey can kick 70-80 metres to the centre and we can just take off!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I thought the Bombers were trying to milk frees all night. They were bending the knees to get a head high or throwing themselves forward and getting them. That Watson mark wasn't and he interfered anyway. We went on the defensive in the last. I wonder when our coaches realised Watson had moved forward and they were going a lot quicker in the mids. they seemed to take forever to work it out. We needed to put them away and didn't. Very lucky thanks to Dempsey to get a win when it should have been a slaughter.
    I can remember one time there was no free kick but hepell fell to the ground to avoid a tackle when he was about to get tackled, the swans player still tackled him with great skill not getting in his back but the umpire said he had no prior surely dropping your knees to get under a tackle or earn a free kick is prior oppurtionity.