Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans v Bombers Game Day Thread

I think Armstrong has gone past Mal after tonights effort. Maccas effort on Stanton was excellent for 3 quarters.

The one thing that annoys me is we had a chance to bury this @@@@@ of a side. But now the idiot bomber fans can live in their little world where they are so great and we were lucky.

Im glad we won but bugger me

The 50m penalty was for Pyke running across the mark. The ump set it about 10m ahead of where the incident occurred, and I think that confused him. No excuse though. I was a bit disappointed in Pyke in the ruck in the 3rd quarter actually. Thought his second efforts weren't great - he looked like he didn't really know what to do and he wasn't helping out much when the ball was on the ground.

I wasn't convinced by Armstrong until tonight. He was fantastic, particularly early on.

What the hell happened in the last quarter? I was worried that we would run out of leg speed after working so hard, but I wasn't expecting such a total collapse. From being on top of the ball all the time, all of a sudden we were chasing Essendon players all over the ground. Perhaps some more fitness work is required. The bye was a curse last year, but this year I think it might be timed well - between two very tough games.

Still, a win is a win and if we want to be top-4 we have to win some of these so I'm happy.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    Grateful however to the ump who called the play on correctly in the dying second !
    Someone rang up on 3AW post game and said it was different ruling with Fesolo a few weeks back.

The umpire was correct in his ruling tonight. The player played on before the siren so it was an easy call for the umpire. However, it was good he called it anyway.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    I really don't know how to respond to that game.

Before it started I was mentally preparing myself for a bad loss, rationalising that we had some key players missing.

Halfway through the 2nd quarter I was calling myself an arsehole for doubting this committed, balanced, WEAPON of a team that was playing beautiful footy.

At 3/4 time I was daydreaming about how pretty our percentage was going to look and preparing to revel in the massive fallout. How good would it be seeing the rabid Dons fans loose their minds? Umpire obsessed @@@@wits.

Halfway though the last I was thinking 'stop trying to @@@@ with me Sydney!!' *Angry grumble grumble*

10 minutes to go and I was ready to slit my wrists.

5 minutes to go and I was mentally preparing to lose and thinking 'there is no rational explanation for this level of ineptitude!'

THAT mark 1 sec before the siren and I realised the cruel irony.

Now at the end of the game, I think I'm just relieved. It wasn't the best way to end, but 4 points is 4 points in more ways than one.
    +1

These games show we are all just playthings for the Footy Gods! And they have a wicked sense of humour!

2.15 for three quarters (snigger snigger)
    9.1 for the last quarter (umm, where did THAT come from)?

On balance, I think they must have decided to mess with the bombers and their fans' heads just a wee tad more than ours!

And just to show how wicked they can be (and that they have callous disregard for footy tippers across the land) they even allowed Freo to win at the MCG against the 'rampant' Tigers this afternoon! They showed no interest in Metricon Stadium today though, and who could blame them really . . .

On the Rookie List swansprincess's Avatar
    I'm a bit disappointed though that we're not really being given credit for what was a brilliant three quarters.

The front page of the afl.com.au now is "the split second decision that cost the dons a miracle win".
    First: it was the right call -dempsey clearly played on, and second: he was not a given to kick it anyway! We won that fair and square and I bloody hope the papers tomorrow don't print the same tripe, but they no doubt will.

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    I really don't know how to respond to that game.

Before it started I was mentally preparing myself for a bad loss, rationalising that we had some key players missing.

Halfway through the 2nd quarter I was calling myself an arsehole for doubting this committed, balanced, WEAPON of a team that was playing beautiful footy.
    Ahhh, I was young and naieve once too.

My wife asked me how it was going in the first quarter. My reply "Bad. We're up by 20. I like it when we're behind early and I can get my disappointment and disgust over and done with early in the night".

How those words haunted me in the last quarter

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    What the hell happened in the last quarter? .
    It's called the Sydney Swans leading by 47 points at the last quarter syndrome. Didn't surprise me at all.

They interviewed JPK on 3AW and asked him what he really thought when the Bombers were just four points behind. He said, I thought we needed another goal. Although it sounded like he thought they might have been gone.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Jamielawsons
    It was a terrific win! Essendon are a top 8 side and we beat them in melbourne. Horse coached well. Enjoy the moment swans fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Ahhh, I was young and naieve once too.

My wife asked me how it was going in the first quarter. My reply "Bad. We're up by 20. I like it when we're behind early and I can get my disappointment and disgust over and done with early in the night".

How those words haunted me in the last quarter
    Had a similar conversation with my better half, I just knew something like that was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Someone rang up on 3AW post game and said it was different ruling with Fesolo a few weeks back.

The umpire was correct in his ruling tonight. The player played on before the siren so it was an easy call for the umpire. However, it was good he called it anyway.
    Well, since they only ever pay 'what they see' according to the AFL, I'm with you. He saw Dempsey play on. He called it - siren went simultaneously or within nano seconds either way, and playing on just after the siren would similarly have ended the game. Last time I checked, the only player allowed to run off the line after the siren and still have the game stay alive is Buddy!!! And sorry Dempsey, you just aint as special as Buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by swansprincess View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed though that we're not really being given credit for what was a brilliant three quarters.

The front page of the afl.com.au now is "the split second decision that cost the dons a miracle win".
    First: it was the right call -dempsey clearly played on, and second: he was not a given to kick it anyway! We won that fair and square and I bloody hope the papers tomorrow don't print the same tripe, but they no doubt will.
    +1. Although for those who like the Swans to fly under the radar it is pretty much an ideal result.

Interesting that after only two years, the commentators seem to have twigged that our game plan is not the same as it used to be. We are faster, play on more often and score more. I don't think any of them have bothered actually thinking about how we play since 2006.