Thread: Health Check on Clubs going into final stages of season

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar

Health Check on Clubs going into final stages of season

Someone at the AFL has done some considerable work to investigate the health status of all Clubs as the season heads very quickly towards the finals.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarti...3/default.aspx

Historically, its usually the teams with the least injuries that end up in the Grand Final and win it. Based on that theory, the Crows , Hawks and Swans are in the best position in terms of players lost during the season and those about to return to play.

We've lost Garry for the season but is there a possibility that we have a player that may become the "X factor" and come from no where to make a difference. The alternative is the Club succeeds based on a solid elevated performance from all players.

We certainly need everyone to play well but I think Parker might provide considerable spark in the Centre and if only TDL or Armstrong provide some run on the outside then it may go a little way to making up for the loss of Rohan.

Goodes is another who has been playing well below form but hopefully that is due to lack of match fitness and not that he is carrying a secret soft tissue injury.

PS Harry Thring did the Crows report. I wonder if he is related to Frank Thring - our own Aussie Herod. For those that are old enough to remember.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

That's an interesting and detailed examination of all clubs. A good read - thanks for posting.

...and yes I remember Frank Thring!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Interesting that Krakouer and McCaffer are due back in a week after being originally ruled out for the season. Eddiewood has discovered some magic healing source.

Krakouer's return will probably be in time for the Swans game.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Interesting that Krakouer and McCaffer are due back in a week after being originally ruled out for the season. Eddiewood has discovered some magic healing source.

Krakouer's return will probably be in time for the Swans game.
    Hard to imagine either will have a huge impact.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    That's an interesting and detailed examination of all clubs. A good read - thanks for posting.
    ...and yes I remember Frank Thring!
    What a coincidence I'm coming down to Melbourne for the launch of the new Frank Thring biography (also to see the Footscray game).
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Someone at the AFL has done some considerable work to investigate the health status of all Clubs as the season heads very quickly towards the finals.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarti...3/default.aspx

Historically, its usually the teams with the least injuries that end up in the Grand Final and win it. Based on that theory, the Crows , Hawks and Swans are in the best position in terms of players lost during the season and those about to return to play.

We've lost Garry for the season but is there a possibility that we have a player that may become the "X factor" and come from no where to make a difference. The alternative is the Club succeeds based on a solid elevated performance from all players.

We certainly need everyone to play well but I think Parker might provide considerable spark in the Centre and if only TDL or Armstrong provide some run on the outside then it may go a little way to making up for the loss of Rohan.

Goodes is another who has been playing well below form but hopefully that is due to lack of match fitness and not that he is carrying a secret soft tissue injury.

PS Harry Thring did the Crows report. I wonder if he is related to Frank Thring - our own Aussie Herod. For those that are old enough to remember.
    I remember Frank. He was the consummate stage actor. If he forgot a line he made it up! I remember he and Noel Ferrier were in a bar one night and the music was blaring. Frank at one end of the 10 metre bar and Noel at the other end. They proceeded to have a conversation over the top of the music and everyone else. In the end their conversation was so funny the whole pub stopped and listened and everyone was in stitches. That is a great pair of Thespians.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    That is a great pair of Thespians.
    I remember where a thread went the last time we spoke of said topic.

A biography would be interesting to read. He was a very good actor and it's not difficult to imagine the conversation.

I still think Krakouer will have some impact. He had a full pre-season and after a few games getting match fitness, he may well spark. That or his knee self destructs.