Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 19 V The Blues.

No one is doubting TDL is a good offensive forward. Its his defence that is the problem. It only takes one weak link, and opposition like Hawthorn or Collingwood will expose it big time.

This could be Morton's problem too. I havent seen him play, just been reading his stats.
    For comparison, Mortons best game for the tigers was a 28 disposal, 5 goal performance, in a team that only won 5 games that year. Do you think TDL could do that ?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I think people have been a bit harsh on TDL. He had 11 disposals, 5 tackles , 2 goals and 2 goal assists. He replaced everitt who has only gotten those sort of stats against GWS. I feel like a broken record but in my opinoin that is all your going to get out of a player like TDL. He tries hard, he leads well, hes not as strong as some of our midfielders at tackling but if he can provide 3 or 4 tackles , 2 goals and 2 goals assists a game hes doing okay. Give him a week or two to get used to the pace of the game before we condemn him but really dont expect him to be kicking seven goals either.

Im not sold on Morton and I think TDLs as good a goal sneak as he is.
    Exactly. TDL did his job, he'll never bulk up. He is what he is, crafty and mostly a dead eye dick who now has reasonable defensive pressure. he stays till he fails.

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Exactly. TDL did his job, he'll never bulk up. He is what he is, crafty and mostly a dead eye dick who now has reasonable defensive pressure. he stays till he fails.
    No such thing as reasonable defensive pressure, either you work hard enough, or you don't.

I think your last sentence is correct and he proved against a young, small bodied bodied, inexperienced team his one glaring deficiency. Fail for me

Senior Player
    Agree to disagree.

Goes up to 11
    TDL:
    Good: Marking on a lead, goal kicking, general field kicking, chase pressure, attacking flair.
    Not so good: tackling, contested marking, strength, motor.
    My verdict: A work in progress who is developing his game and we are seeing improvements in some area.
    Will he ever be a world beater? Probably not.
    Is he worth keeping on the list and developing further? Definitely IMHO.
    Is he in our best 22 at the moment? Probably not, but considering we don't have all players available or fully fit at the moment, he's getting some games.
    Will he make a permanent spot for himself in the best 22 in future? That's the $64,000 question.... I think there will be a place for him as a forward if he can develop his defensive game further and get a bit stronger, however there's some hot competition in the squad and Spangher, Morton etc sniffing around. He has a bit of attacking flair and can create goals for himself and others. He's obviously never going to be a hard inside type, but he does need to still develop a few notches defensively.

I think most fans like TDL as he is an attacking player with a goal sense and a bit of flair, so he stands out when he does the fancy stuff. Hopefully he keeps working on his deficiencies and continues to improve.

TDL did nothing wrong on saturday. He chased, he pressured, he tackled. Give him another run horse and dont play him sub! I love jetta, but his efforts were very lackluster on saturday when pressuring chasing etc. Hopefully he doesnt fall into bad habits. That being said:

In: Mumford
    Out: Reid

Play mumford out of the square, goodesy at CHF if he is right.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's frustrating that Reid looks to be out the week after one of the few times where we don't see ugg's comprehensive write up to see how the magoos went. If Mummy isn't up to coming back in and if Jesse was decent on the weekend I'd like to see him come in, either as backup ruck + forward with Lewis as permanent forward or just to take that permanent forward role; obviously Morton must be due for a run, but if TDL stays in then I think Jesse is probably the least disruption to the structure of the forward line.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

TDL reminds me a bit of Jack Anthony (ex pie, now with Freo), and for those with long memories Warren Ralph (carlton). Great leads, great accurate kicks, but soft.
    Despite having all the skills, and getting quite a few games, none made it.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    TDL:
    Good: Marking on a lead, goal kicking, general field kicking, chase pressure, attacking flair.
    Not so good: tackling, contested marking, strength, motor.
    My verdict: A work in progress who is developing his game and we are seeing improvements in some area.
    Will he ever be a world beater? Probably not.
    Is he worth keeping on the list and developing further? Definitely IMHO.
    Is he in our best 22 at the moment? Probably not, but considering we don't have all players available or fully fit at the moment, he's getting some games.
    Will he make a permanent spot for himself in the best 22 in future? That's the $64,000 question.... I think there will be a place for him as a forward if he can develop his defensive game further and get a bit stronger, however there's some hot competition in the squad and Spangher, Morton etc sniffing around. He has a bit of attacking flair and can create goals for himself and others. He's obviously never going to be a hard inside type, but he does need to still develop a few notches defensively.

I think most fans like TDL as he is an attacking player with a goal sense and a bit of flair, so he stands out when he does the fancy stuff. Hopefully he keeps working on his deficiencies and continues to improve.
    Agreed, has huge upside, if he can lift his work rate and work on endurance/motor.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    TDL reminds me a bit of Jack Anthony (ex pie, now with Freo), and for those with long memories Warren Ralph (carlton). Great leads, great accurate kicks, but soft.
    Despite having all the skills, and getting quite a few games, none made it.
    The difference is, at 192cm and 94kgs, Jack Anthony is meant to be a key forward, but he just isn't getting it right and is probably a bit soft. He's probably more like Jesse if anything. TDL is listed as 181 cm and 75kgs. At that size he can't really go in hard, so like Jetta, he has to rely on his smarts. Maybe give him a gig with one Keiren Jack next pre-season - seemed to work for Lewis this year....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    The difference is, at 192cm and 94kgs, Jack Anthony is meant to be a key forward, but he just isn't getting it right and is probably a bit soft. He's probably more like Jesse if anything. TDL is listed as 181 cm and 75kgs. At that size he can't really go in hard, so like Jetta, he has to rely on his smarts. Maybe give him a gig with one Keiren Jack next pre-season - seemed to work for Lewis this year....
    Maybe my point is there is no place in a premiership side for a soft forward (or "outside" forward). As a forward, you are running into traffic (the field narrowing as you go forward). You need to bust tackles and be hard. Ben Mcglynn being the perfect example.
    An outside midfielder like Jetta can run away from traffic as their is much more space.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Maybe my point is there is no place in a premiership side for a soft forward (or "outside" forward). As a forward, you are running into traffic (the field narrowing as you go forward). You need to bust tackles and be hard. Ben Mcglynn being the perfect example.
    An outside midfielder like Jetta can run away from traffic as their is much more space.
    That's a good point too. I reckon I'm like most in that I'd love to see TDL make it, but it's pretty hard fitting him in with any permanency at the moment...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast