Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colless warns we can't keep up with big clubs

Colless has presided over the Swans' revival - IIRC correctly he took over 20 years ago during the grim times. He's now the longest-serving AFL club chairman. When he speaks, he's worth listening to.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Would you really want to interact with Eddie?
    It is all part of contributing to having a huge membership base. Anyone here interact with our Chairman recently?

How many Club's have Chairman's. So longest serving Chairman means he is not accountable to the supporters like President's are.

You can throw up all excuses but Collingwood doesn't have the Westpac Centre because of its supporter base.
    Last edited by BillyRayCypress; 10th August 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Actually, I think "profit of doom" is very good.
    And Richard certainly makes a change from LRT or Andrejs as a whipping boy.
    More seriously, Richard Colless is one of the three or four key people who have given the club an enviable reputation for excellence in off-field matters. Anyone who imagines that a club can have sustained success on-field without competence off-field is deluded.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Would you really want to interact with Eddie?
    Only if I had permission to say and do certain things and was guaranteed immunity from prosecution
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    More seriously, Richard Colless is one of the three or four key people who have given the club an enviable reputation for excellence in off-field matters. Anyone who imagines that a club can have sustained success on-field without competence off-field is deluded.
    Well put
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

I am relieved that the Chairman's name has no hyphen - it would be sad to have another LRT or TDL put down of people who seem to do all they can to contribute to the Swans successes.

Its difficult to measure how well Colless has gone or not gone off-field.

There is a sense from AFL HQ that AFL should be bigger in Sydney than it is. That is why they are trying a two pronged strategy with the Giants.

The test, long term for Colless is how well the Giants do over the next decade in comparison to his tenure.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its difficult to measure how well Colless has gone or not gone off-field.

There is a sense from AFL HQ that AFL should be bigger in Sydney than it is. That is why they are trying a two pronged strategy with the Giants.

The test, long term for Colless is how well the Giants do over the next decade in comparison to his tenure.
    My outsider's reading is that the AFL (Demetriou et al.) thinks that Sydney has done well on RC's watch and they now want to capitalise on it. And note how fast they moved when things looked like going off the rails off-field at GWS.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    My outsider's reading is that the AFL (Demetriou et al.) thinks that Sydney has done well on RC's watch and they now want to capitalise on it. And note how fast they moved when things looked like going off the rails off-field at GWS.
    I don't think that is the case at all. What things were going off rails at GWS that needed attention?

GWS were brought in against the wishes of the Swans. You would be surprised of how sensitive the Swans are about GWS and how far and wide that sensitivity stretches.

AFL should have been bigger in Greater Sydney by now and unfortunately the Swans don't think much past the Eastern Suburbs or selected parts of Sydney.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    I don't think that is the case at all. What things were going off rails at GWS that needed attention?

GWS were brought in against the wishes of the Swans. You would be surprised of how sensitive the Swans are about GWS and how far and wide that sensitivity stretches.

AFL should have been bigger in Greater Sydney by now and unfortunately the Swans don't think much past the Eastern Suburbs or selected parts of Sydney.
    The problems I had in mind were to do with the Scullys, father and son, and the AFL's rapid response. I can't remember the details now.
    And I realise that many Swans were touchy about the advent of GWS. I was myself, but I now think that it's best for all of us if the new franchise works. Personally I hope it does, and develops into a keen rivalry; we'll all benefit from it in the end.

Plus the fact that they didn't have a CEO or a training facility. Otherwise, all pretty good.

Club values start from the top and having been to a lot of swans functions it is clear that the leadership Richard provides is fundamental to our respect as a club throughout the competition - he does not get involved in the footy side of things and for those that think the club does not try hard enough to grow its membership base clearly do not know how their club works off the field their club to - I think the current model of footy spend is better for the club than throwing money at trendy membership drives - the success of 05 and 06 and the failure that of that to transfer into a substantial increase in membership numbers clearly shows our place in the Sydney sport market - Colless knows this - he is a realist and is far from doom and gloom - comparisons with Collingwood membership and corporate support are laughable - they are a big club who got a lot of favors from a previous Labor Govt (Westpac Centre) whose premier was a Magpie supporter - Richard Colless is valued very highly by the AFL - keep it real please

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast