Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colless warns we can't keep up with big clubs

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The problems I had in mind were to do with the Scullys, father and son, and the AFL's rapid response. I can't remember the details now.
    And I realise that many Swans were touchy about the advent of GWS. I was myself, but I now think that it's best for all of us if the new franchise works. Personally I hope it does, and develops into a keen rivalry; we'll all benefit from it in the end.
    I forgot about that one with the Scully's. The AFL would be wishing all their problems of late were as "bad" as that one, I would think.

A duopoly for all fans concerned is always the better option.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its difficult to measure how well Colless has gone or not gone off-field.

There is a sense from AFL HQ that AFL should be bigger in Sydney than it is. That is why they are trying a two pronged strategy with the Giants.

The test, long term for Colless is how well the Giants do over the next decade in comparison to his tenure.
    Actually it's pretty easy to measure - he took over at the lowest point the club had known and has presided the most successful period the club has known since the war. By any measure a reasonable person might wish to consider, Colless has been a phenomenal success.

The Swans financial success is very much tied to the general success of AFL in Sydney. There is a great opportunity for the Swans to grow its support base over the next several years, but it means winning over the younger Rugby crowd. Colless has been an instrumental part in getting the Swans to a position where one of the key elements, on field success, is well in place.

If the Swans can go through a period of premiership challenges over the next few years, which I think we can, that will go a long way to building support from all quarters.

The other big factor will be the success of GWS. They really have the big job of winning over the hard core League fans. Hopefully they can ramp up their on field fortunes and become a really competitive side. I think they have the young players to make it happen. A big rivalry between us and GWS will go a long way in turning Sydney into an AFL town, and that will be the key to the Swans financial success.

Imagine a Swans-GWS preliminary final in a packed ANZ stadium. 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Imagine a Swans-GWS preliminary final in a packed ANZ stadium. 2015?
    I'd prefer a Grand Final meeting.

Its funny how everyone is saying how great Colless is to the success of the Swans yet no one has mentioned Kelvin Templeton for his contribution.

Can anyone tell me what Colless does day to day and what the roie of the CEO is in terms of actually running the Club?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    I'd prefer a Grand Final meeting.

Its funny how everyone is saying how great Colless is to the success of the Swans yet no one has mentioned Kelvin Templeton for his contribution.

Can anyone tell me what Colless does day to day and what the roie of the CEO is in terms of actually running the Club?
    No one has mentioned Myles BH or Andrew Ireland either so not sure what the relevance is of Templeton, a CEO who left the club around a decade ago. No doubt he made a strong contribution while he was at the club but he isn't overly relevant to where the club is heading now.

I doubt Colless does very much "day to day" around the club. He isn't part of the management team. He is chairman of the board, and my understanding is that he is a non-executive chairman. He probably spends his "day to day" looking after his business interests and earning a living, hence enabling him to also give up plenty of time on (I believe) an unpaid basis to participate in steering the strategy and overseeing the corporate governance of the club, which is the function of the board.

Warming the Bench
    Would a luxury tax like the nba have on their salary cap except on each clubs football department spendings work?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    No one has mentioned Myles BH or Andrew Ireland either so not sure what the relevance is of Templeton, a CEO who left the club around a decade ago. No doubt he made a strong contribution while he was at the club but he isn't overly relevant to where the club is heading now.

I doubt Colless does very much "day to day" around the club. He isn't part of the management team. He is chairman of the board, and my understanding is that he is a non-executive chairman. He probably spends his "day to day" looking after his business interests and earning a living, hence enabling him to also give up plenty of time on (I believe) an unpaid basis to participate in steering the strategy and overseeing the corporate governance of the club, which is the function of the board.
    I mentioned Templeton as he was there during the first critical years post the early 90's. Yes add Baron Hay and Ireland to the list. The relevance? He (they) were/are the CEO's.

So if Colless has little to do with running the Club (as in your words you're guessing what he does) as you say, then credit should be given to the people that are responsible for running it.

The Sydney Swans have been in Sydney for 30 years. The membership has stagnated. In a city of over 3 million people (1% of the population, if all 30,000 members lived in Sydney) , you can only blame nrl and other interests so much for your own inadequacy.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't see why the acknowledgement that it takes more than one person to contribute to the running of a successful operation requires the denegration of the efforts of any of the individuals involved. And the specific relevance of Colless to this thread is that some posters have used his recent comments as a prompt to specifically criiticise him and his efforts, not those of Templeton, MBH or Ireland.

I think that on almost every measure, the Swans are a successful organisation given the competitive (on and off field) environment that they operate in. I don't hold Colless personally and solely responsible for the fact that the Swans don't have 100,000 members and I think it is a harsh critic who does.

Senior Player
    Some folk here seem to be some of our politicians on downtime.
    Like them, as soon as they are challenged, they changes tack.
    Seems to me that arguing for the sake of argument alone is insufficient reason to post!
    Don't bother attacking me..I'm done with this thread.

On AFL360 on Thursday night, they were discussing the mess that Port Adelaide is in and saying that it's not just a new coach that is needed but they need to get the culture right. Robbo made a comment something like they should look at Sydney and try to get people of the caliber of Colless and Ireland or words to that effect anyway.
    Now I think Robinson is a ginormous tool and not a huge fan of our club but he does know his stuff and for him to specifically mention Colless and Ireland was quite a compliment and shows the esteem that at least the Melbourne media hold for them and the credit that they give them for setting and holding our culture.

I like colless hair, not as good as LRT, but good none the less

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't see why the acknowledgement that it takes more than one person to contribute to the running of a successful operation requires the denegration of the efforts of any of the individuals involved. And the specific relevance of Colless to this thread is that some posters have used his recent comments as a prompt to specifically criiticise him and his efforts, not those of Templeton, MBH or Ireland.

I think that on almost every measure, the Swans are a successful organisation given the competitive (on and off field) environment that they operate in. I don't hold Colless personally and solely responsible for the fact that the Swans don't have 100,000 members and I think it is a harsh critic who does.
    +1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast