Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colless warns we can't keep up with big clubs

On the veteran's list
    What is it about SOME people on this site? We're on top of the ladder and we're universally accepted as the blueprint for all clubs both on and off the field!

First it was Longmire .... then a spanner in the works for the snipers - he is successful in taking us to the top of the ladder
    Then it was LRT ....... then a spanner in the works for the snipers - he kicks goals and is seen as integral to our forward line.
    Now Richard Colless .... Come on you lot ... grow up!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

So Richard Colless steps in with the club borderline bankrupt and oversees it making a grand final within 3 years and then having the most successful 15 years of its history, and the most consistently successful of any AFL Club over that period.
    The club was a laughing stock when he got involved and is now universally recognised for its professionalism and positive culture.
    There's a difference between Sydney and other clubs and a large part of that difference is Colless. And from what I understand he would happily step aside if someone with similar credentials would agree to take on the role unpaid like he has been doing. Maybe it is time for new blood, but gee it's a bit ungrateful to turn on the guy for making a pragmatic assessment of how the competition looks today.

[deleted]
    Last edited by Big Al; 11th August 2012 at 03:16 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I have no clue whether Colless has done a good job or not simply because I'm not privvy to the inner workings of the club. However while the club isn't perfect its certainly a club that is the envy of the competition and the people who have run the club over the years deserve kudos for that.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have no clue whether Colless has done a good job or not simply because I'm not privvy to the inner workings of the club. However while the club isn't perfect its certainly a club that is the envy of the competition and the people who have run the club over the years deserve kudos for that.
    Fully agree

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I have no clue whether Colless has done a good job or not simply because I'm not privy to the inner workings of the club. However while the club isn't perfect its certainly a club that is the envy of the competition and the people who have run the club over the years deserve kudos for that.
    Brings to mind some rules for life from my favourite fictional detective: "Don't say more than you know, don't spend more than you have, don't throw your weight around more than necessary."
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    What is it about SOME people on this site? We're on top of the ladder and we're universally accepted as the blueprint for all clubs both on and off the field!

First it was Longmire .... then a spanner in the works for the snipers - he is successful in taking us to the top of the ladder
    Then it was LRT ....... then a spanner in the works for the snipers - he kicks goals and is seen as integral to our forward line.
    Now Richard Colless .... Come on you lot ... grow up!
    The large feline does have a point there.......

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    The large feline does have a point there.......
    Anyone else in their heads immediately change those first 3 words into something less savoury?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Anyone else in their heads immediately change those first 3 words into something less savoury?
    You mean "the big felafel"?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Some folk here seem to be some of our politicians on downtime.
    Like them, as soon as they are challenged, they changes tack.
    Seems to me that arguing for the sake of argument alone is insufficient reason to post!
    Don't bother attacking me..I'm done with this thread.
    There are certainly a few who "pontificate" on this site now, that's for sure. Those who post quality rather than quantity are much more readable.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You know the swans make more money per game from a walk up than a member.
    Really I didn't know that, nor could I find anything to support that claim (although I'm no expert web head), would it be pssible for you to provide some evidence for this claim?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Really I didn't know that, nor could I find anything to support that claim (although I'm no expert web head), would it be pssible for you to provide some evidence for this claim?
    My membership is about $40 per game in a seat that sells for $65 to the public. On that basis the club does get more from a walk up however the advantages of getting membership fees up front out way the pure monetary advantage of the walk up. It's why membership is very important to the club.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast