Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colless warns we can't keep up with big clubs

Colless warns we can't keep up with big clubs

Swans chairman Richard Colless says Swans have kept competitive by matching the football department spending of clubs like Collingwood and West Coast, but he doubts we can keep up.

He thinks AFL is going the way of the Premier League, with only a handful of teams contesting the flag each year.

Colless says West Coast earns $10m--$12m more in memberships and hospitality than we do.

"The market is splitting in two and I think we are in the second group but one of the better-managed ones."

Despite their position at the top of the AFL ladder, Colless believes the Swans rank in the bottom group of strugglers along with Port Adelaide, Brisbane and the expansion teams GWS and Gold Coast.
    Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

I thought I read the other day that we had the best-sponsored club kit, with Citibank, QBE and VW on board. (Colless doesn't say anything about sponsorships.)

I'm thinking he might be slightly exaggerating the Swans' plight, but he's surely right that the gap between big and small clubs is going to get wider.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Counting down to Eddie's over the top response in 3..., 2...

This is what I cant stand about Colless. he's such a profit of doom. Everything we get things going in a big way, he comes out with his negative rubish. Did the same during 05 and 06.

The lack of revenue is your fault Colless, no one elses.

*prophet of doom. Anyways you have to admit that considering the Swans' final appearances over the past few years, membership numbers have stayed static. Carlton has about 45k, Hawthorn about 60k and Collingwood 70 to 80k. There is no doubt that the Swans need more members. 40k is the short-term target, and even though the AFL has been giving the NSW market a lot of handouts, it really is in the AFL's best interest to keep plugging away. I don't think AFL needs to be the dominant code in NSW, it just needs a higher profile so that both NSW clubs can be successful. Capitalising on this year's performance should be the club's primary focus. If the Swans go deep into the finals (which they hopefully should) they should really be pushing for new members when spectators are high on the experience. Big blockbuster games like the last two remaining games we have should be a platform for the club to promote memberships. They should have an opportunity to test memberships like the 3 game passes which can be given out as christmas presents as a lot of people like to go to the football as a social event with friends.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the club barely broke even last year ($549,000 loss, $486,000 non-cash expenses) but you have to keep in mind that the Swans Academy is obviously going to cost money as well. I don't think the club would go the way of Essendon and ask for handouts from members, but the club obviously needs more members.

The club doesn't have that many major sponsors compared to Collingwood (they have at least 5 big sponsors).

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    *prophet of doom.

Good call

Anyways you have to admit that considering the Swans' final appearances over the past few years, membership numbers have stayed static. Carlton has about 45k, Hawthorn about 60k and Collingwood 70 to 80k. There is no doubt that the Swans need more members. 40k is the short-term target, and even though the AFL has been giving the NSW market a lot of handouts, it really is in the AFL's best interest to keep plugging away.
    I dont think membership is the worry. membership is a pissing contest in victoria, and we dont have a membership culture here. You know the swans make more money per game from a walk up than a member.

I don't think AFL needs to be the dominant code in NSW, it just needs a higher profile so that both NSW clubs can be successful. Capitalising on this year's performance should be the club's primary focus. If the Swans go deep into the finals (which they hopefully should) they should really be pushing for new members when spectators are high on the experience. Big blockbuster games like the last two remaining games we have should be a platform for the club to promote memberships. They should have an opportunity to test memberships like the 3 game passes which can be given out as christmas presents as a lot of people like to go to the football as a social event with friends.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the club barely broke even last year ($549,000 loss, $486,000 non-cash expenses) but you have to keep in mind that the Swans Academy is obviously going to cost money as well. I don't think the club would go the way of Essendon and ask for handouts from members, but the club obviously needs more members.

The club doesn't have that many major sponsors compared to Collingwood (they have at least 5 big sponsors).
    Sponsorship and corporate membership are the areas the swans should focus to raise revenue. Joe blow members could rise by at most 10,000 and that aint going to catch collingwood.

Anyway, collingwood is so far ahead of everyone, we shouldnt be targetting them. They have revenue of around $75m. The 2nd biggest club (WC I think) is around $50m. We are in the $35m category. mid table.
    I cannot see any reason why we should be on par with a club like Adelaide in the $40 to $50m range.
    We should be in the 2nd tier behind collingwood. Anything else is a failure by the board.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This is what I cant stand about Colless. he's such a profit of doom. Everything we get things going in a big way, he comes out with his negative rubish. Did the same during 05 and 06.

The lack of revenue is your fault Colless, no one elses.
    I agree. He should do a stint in junior football and what's involved in running a junior football club successfully.

Colless has the same employment tenure as a Supreme Court judge.

It wasn't that long ago when it was accepted that the Swans accepted a top 8 finish as a successful year.

Who reviews the performance of Colless ???
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    I agree. He should do a stint in junior football and what's involved in running a junior football club successfully.

Colless has the same employment tenure as a Supreme Court judge.

It wasn't that long ago when it was accepted that the Swans accepted a top 8 finish as a successful year.

Who reviews the performance of Colless ???
    Richard Colless

He played and coached in footy in W.A.from 1965 to 1982..Thats a pretty solid stint in 'junior football'!

Richard's delivered us 3 Grand Finals and a coveted premiership. We might even add another one in both categories this year.

He can stay Chairman as long as he likes.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Richard's delivered us 3 Grand Finals and a coveted premiership. We might even add another one in both categories this year.

He can stay Chairman as long as he likes.
    Not to mention presided over a club almost universally respected for both its onfield consistency and off-field conduct. And he's done it with minimal fuss and (as I understand it) for zero pay.

If it is so easy to attract and maintain members, and sell out corporate entertainment facilities in the Sydney market, what are the obvious things that the club has been failing to do for the past couple of decades?

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Richard Colless

He played and coached in footy in W.A.from 1965 to 1982..Thats a pretty solid stint in 'junior football'!
    That was over 30 years ago and in a pro aussie rules state. I don't think you can transfer that experience to 2012 Sydney Metrop. Perhaps that's why he is having trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not to mention presided over a club almost universally respected for both its onfield consistency and off-field conduct. And he's done it with minimal fuss and (as I understand it) for zero pay.

If it is so easy to attract and maintain members, and sell out corporate entertainment facilities in the Sydney market, what are the obvious things that the club has been failing to do for the past couple of decades?
    I think you should be asking Richard that. He's the ones making the statements.

Zero pay? He's that mimumum fuss that he doesn't even interact with the supporters. Even President Eddie does that.

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Zero pay? He's that mimumum fuss that he doesn't even interact with the supporters. Even President Eddie does that.
    Would you really want to interact with Eddie?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast