Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes

Goodsey was poor, but I think it is too easy to be critical of him and the decision to play him if he is still not 100% with fitness or confidence.
    In reality he has won us enough games to deserve to be cut some slack and he has the potential offer something no-one else can in the finals. To give him as much time to regain form and confidence prior to the finals may just pay off sometime in September.
    Prior to getting injured against Adelaide it looked like he would win us the game of his own boot. It would make us much more of a premiership contender to have him back in anything close to that kind of form.

Regular in the Side
    goodes' major strengths were always his athleticism and his physique and their almost unique combination in the league. these attributes, plus a decent ability to read the play, made his first decade divine. unfortunately his skills have always been a weaker aspect of his game. people have remarked on his kicking which is frustratingly good in the field but poor in front of the sticks. i have always been frustrated by his marking: typically mouth open, eyes closed and with his arms held out like he's being thrown a basket of washing. even when he leaps up (less frequently nowadays) he often takes the ball in his lap. overhead he is really very ordinary.
    his dominance in the midfield is over: his leap has faded, he's less nimble and he would just attract too many frees nowadays and miss many weeks with incidental high contact being penalised so heavily.
    i think he'd be a brilliant CHB (as i've been saying for ten years). the weakness in his marking would matter less. he'd be able to keep up with any power forward in the game, muscle up to most of them and make them work really hard when the play switched. his vision is first-class, he's a good organiser and his ability to distribute the ball by hand or foot would be no problem.

I think he is still injured. In saying that I am shocked at the clangers that he produced last night. Kicking directly to opposition players, handballing to opposition players or to no advantage, trying to do it himself when surrounded by teammates in better position to take a give off. The worst was the brain-fade in the left points area where all he had to do is handball over the top to a player in the goal square and he kicked a dinky kick over the players head toward the boundary line. The ball was cleared. That was indicative of how he played all night. The other thing is that he didn't make anyone who played on him accountable because he couldn't I was watching him run after players and on every occasion he increased speed only to decrease to canter after only a short burst. This is very telling, he is still injured!! He shouldn't be out there and due to the injury his head is not in the right place.

In saying all those things I think there were several players who were having games they would rather forget and most were playing forward. The backline was superb and I thought Reg very unlucky not to get several more frees from being grabbed and thrown down. I thought holding the man without the ball was still a free. The same applied to the ruck contest.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    In saying all those things I think there were several players who were having games they would rather forget and most were playing forward. The backline was superb and I thought Reg very unlucky not to get several more frees from being grabbed and thrown down. I thought holding the man without the ball was still a free. The same applied to the ruck contest.
    LRT also suffered from this.
    Back on topic, I agree with the injury diagnosis, but I'm sure the club knows more about how to handle it than I do.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goodsey is not a natural forward and a confidence player, needs to be played in the Mid field where is a natural (he likes to run onto the ball not towards it)to build his confidence backup, he is too good a player to be play a role on the forward line, get him back in the middle and let him get his confidence back! Really missed Jude Bolton last night given the conditions and his form up forward this year.

There were a lot of poor performers last night - yes Goodes is still not 100% but I get a gut feeling he's copping the flack across the board (not just here but in the media) due to him being the highest profile. Hopefully he'll bounce back next week or the week after and terrorise Hawks again like last time.

Goes up to 11
    He's not helping my darn Dream Team scores either after bringing him in at a low price a few weeks ago

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by gossipcom View Post
    yes Goodes is still not 100% but I get a gut feeling he's copping the flack across the board (not just here but in the media) due to him being the highest profile
    also because he's nominally the key forward that the rest of the forward structure should be built around. again, i see awesome potential down back murdering key forwards and setting things up.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I was watching him run after players and on every occasion he increased speed only to decrease to canter after only a short burst. This is very telling, he is still injured!! He shouldn't be out there and due to the injury his head is not in the right place.
    Too much association with Horse.

What does it say if he has to play whilst being injured?
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Too much association with Horse.

What does it say if he has to play whilst being injured?
    Says he's seen as a better option than anyone in the 2's, against lesser teams his presence is intimidating, but against Collingwood, not so much
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

It is quite sad. From 2006-2009 or so goodes was head and shoulders above any other player on the field during our annual defeats by the pies. And he played in midfield where he burst past players.

Currently he is trying to do too many perfect passes by foot or hand - each week he misses players who are in space. He can't chase out of defence and hasn't most of the season.

I just think that the decision of the club to try to make him into a key forward has taken away from the strengths he had and our desperate need for a functioning forward line (seriously if you ask any other club, player or supporter in Australia whether lrt worries them as a forward they just laugh at you) has left us with a goodes whose strengths are being wasted and we simply don't get the compensation from it.

We can only and have only won games this season through our midfielders kicking goals. From the stats I have seen he has played 13 games this season for 25 goals -playing as a key forward.

Which he basically is not.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast