Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Hawthorn game

It is Buddy though. He's a walking freaking headline.

If I recall, Gibson was far more damaging against us last time than Buddy or Cyril.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

We are suseptable to any loose defender, or spare man in defense. The coaching staff need to address it.

To beat swans is a simple formula: Spare man in defence + massive midfield pressure = swans lose.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    A bit naughty but very cheeky.

What will happen this Saturday?

Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We are suseptable to any loose defender, or spare man in defense. The coaching staff need to address it.

To beat swans is a simple formula: Spare man in defence + massive midfield pressure = swans lose.
    It's that easy ??

Don't think so...... Go check the ladder.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Goes up to 11
    Is that you Mick? Careful - not too many people like you around here...

On the Rookie List
    Spare man in defence + massive midfield pressure = swans lose.
    Everything works, in theory. It has to be put into practice. There is probably a simple theory to beat everyone, it's when it come to doing it that it becomes more difficult.

From what I am reading Hawthorn have been using one main ruckman (Hale) and two part timers who go forward or back. Might choose to give Pike a weeks rest and bring in the bloke who looks like he slept on a wet comic book, yes, that's right Jesse White. Big Jesse and the Hyphonator alternate as the part time ruckmen with the Mummy and also assist our backs against "THE BUD" and also slot a few 6 pointers in their spare time. I actually hope they keep Jude out until first or second week of finals, I would hate for his ACL to rupture, because he came back too soon, and him missing the chance top notch 300 games for us.

Ins: The big Jesse
    Out: Pike (only for one weeks rest)

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    No its block the run up the middle and then cut them off when they go sideways.

Unfortunately no one remember minor premiers. Its the win on the last Saturday of September that counts.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

I cant believe Hawthorn are favourites for this game. Paying $1.80, we're paying $2.

They have no rioli, and serious doubts on Buddy and Gibson.

We beat them last time, are a game ahead of them, and playing at home.
    They might have lost some money installing us as favourites against Pies, being a bit more careful
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

I'm always happy for us not to be favourites.

Pyke looks a likely starter.
    http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/n...8/default.aspx
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Doubts on Buddy too I think.

Thrashing hawks without Buddy and Rioli will send malhouse into overdrive.

But, we couldnt beat colllingwood without Swans and (mostly) Thomas, so lets not get ahead of ourselves.
    We didn't have Reid and Goodes was well down on form and carrying an injury. Thomas was not really killing us anyway it was Beames who was making all the hard moves for them and Sidebottom doing the outside work. Pendlebury, Wellingham, Maxwell and Reid were all good for them. I thought Daisey was getting neutralized quite well before he went off. Most of the possessions he did get were in difficult situations and our blokes caged him. Swan is a different proposition and he is a class above most. Probably only about five or six in the AFL who measure up to his standard. Griffen, Joey, Watson are all in that class and maybe Mitchell & Dangerfield.

Barry all sides are susceptible to the spare man. Mid pressure is another thing but I think our mids are finally figuring how to beat this, 'GET IN FRONT'! The Hawks have a thorn too, it is that they like to bring the ball out of defense with short accurate kicks. If you cut off all the short options they are going to have to kick it long. The press does not always work against them because of the short style they adopt that is why they kill Collingwood. Mick might want to talk about that one day, how the Pies always get thrashed by the Hawks because of THEIR game plan. It is better to go man on man with the Hawks but with the ruckman sometimes intercepting. They also run their big men up the ground a bit so you will always have talls on the wings. Then when the ball is givcen off players like Buddy, Roughy and the smalls run fast to position in the forwardline. But they will always have a tall option deep forward. Hale for instance.

It is only the really good spare men that kill us. Gibson kills the ball, maxwell marks it, Newman reads it well. But there's no doubt in my mind that a good spare man and good midfield pressure turn us into a side which bombs it long with no crumbling players. It's up to the coaches to keep some smallsin the attacking area and that gibsons man mark the ball occasionally on a lead rather than just let him zone off and kill the ball

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast