Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes for 23 v the Cats

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Fail to see Hannas tiring he got 29 posies this week. AJ had to really keep tabs on a player and wasn't allowed to be a rebound defender v Hawks. We are waiting too long to get the ball to Jetta, I was aware of him taking off on several occasions when a player in defense was coming out and the player vacillated and then it was too late. Quite a few times it was Mal who held onto the ball and ran rather than deliver to the running player. He seems more comfortable delivering to the set play/position rather than a player running into space. I feel he isn't confident doing that. His delivery hasn't been that good in the last 3 weeks anyway. Jetts is now getting a very tight tag too.
    I can't abide vacillating... Not good for me heart rate!

Senior Player
    OUT : O'Keefe , Kennedy , Richards
    IN : White , Moore , Spangher.

Half the Cats team will be doubled up laughing or be in shock , which means loads of uncontested footy for us and an easy win.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Jetta has been playing injured with his knee which has hampered his pace and influence sadly. I like Wardy's suggestion. Give Morton a full game v Cats and start Jets as sub to give him a partial rest. Other option is too simply tell Jets to play as a crumbing forward as we a long kicks regularly coming to ground yesterday we need someone at Reid and co's feet.
    Agree with your thoughts and Wardy's. Rest Jetta, let him come back fresh for the finals.No good if he isn't quick and he was a liability against the Hawks. Morton oozes class and must be given a proper run. Bolton in - we are 3 to 4 goal better side! Also, if LRT is not right I would be interested in how the forward line would function with either Jesse White or Tommy to bust packs for the smalls and split the effort of the opposition backs.

Jesse's form is good and it has been consistent lately. It would be interesting to see how we would go with 3 genuine rucks, all of which can play key forward.

I subscribe to the don't play injured or out of form players theory and the play form players theory which explains my preferences here I guess.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Agree with your thoughts and Wardy's. Rest Jetta, let him come back fresh for the finals.No good if he isn't quick and he was a liability against the Hawks. Morton oozes class and must be given a proper run. Bolton in - we are 3 to 4 goal better side! Also, if LRT is not right I would be interested in how the forward line would function with either Jesse White or Tommy to bust packs for the smalls and split the effort of the opposition backs.

Jesse's form is good and it has been consistent lately. It would be interesting to see how we would go with 3 genuine rucks, all of which can play key forward.

I subscribe to the don't play injured or out of form players theory and the play form players theory which explains my preferences here I guess.
    Sigh, I hope this is a wind up? White and or Walsh in the forward 50! In combination with Morton, against a cats running backline!!!!

Please tell me you are having a leg pull?

The loss to Hawthorne and a win next week would be he best result as it turns out. If we would have beaten Hawthorne, then we would almost certainly have to play Collingwood at ANZ. But by losing we will play either Adelaide or WCE at home or Adelaide at AAMI (which is still a better prospect than Collingwood anywhere). I was hoping it would have been a dead rubber for the Cats, but as it turns out, they have a lot to play for. Losing could mean a trip to Perth for them. In fact, all the games involving the top 8 are important.

We need to have a strategy against Geelong that doesn't involve bombing the ball into the forward line. They have just about the best tall defenders in the AFL, but are a bit vulnerable to speed. Goodes, Reid and LRT had a total of 5 marks between them the last time we played them at the SCG, and their defense took an enormous number of marks. We would be much better off kicking the ball along the ground and making it a ground level contest where we do much better. No team ever seems to do this, even when they are clearly up against a much better defensive team in the air. Maybe because it looks bad.

Veterans List
    I finally got up the strength to watch the replay tonight - well the first half anyway. The change for the Hawks was when they started punching the ball forward at every opportunity. It was a bit like the way they won the Premiership against the Cats - but instead of punched behinds they were acting as if our spoiling could be counteracted by just moving the ball forward. And it worked. So the idea of keeping the ball at ground level isn't a silly idea if we are being killed overhead - as we certainly were when the ball came in high last night.

In Walsh, Mcneil, Lamb
    Out Kennedy, Mumford, Richards
    Theres not much left to say

Mitch Morton must be given a full game. Playing cameo subs is a waste of time.

He needs this so we know if he can impact the finals or not. We will know absolutely nothing if we drop him now.

Everett will likely come in. Maybe to replace LRT.

Well if I am right, we can not fall out of the top 4 with out some really strange results.. On this basis I would rest a few players, for a fair dinkum go the next week.

I would rest Smith, Hanners, Jetta, Parker, Goodes, McGlynn, Johnston and Kennedy. (perhaps Pyke and LRT) and 2 or 3 others that are sore...!

In Bolton, White, Moore, Everett, Armstrong, Gordon, Spangher, Seiby, Walsh, Meredith, Lamb and TDL

Resting for the finals and let us play who ever the footy gods decide..

A week off now and we could play the 4 finals games if needed or only 3 if needed if we win week 1

Rod_

Like yr theory but If we can beat Geelong we get a home final. Had we hv beaten the hawks we could hv had the luxury of resting players because the home final was in the bag - but now we dont. And I doubt the Cats will rest anyone either. If Bolton isn't fully fit - Morton in, Jett's the sub.

It's the last round, the time for resting was a few weeks ago. Unless someone is genuinely injured, I hope we field the best team possible against Geelong. Momentum is very important.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    It's the last round, the time for resting was a few weeks ago. Unless someone is genuinely injured, I hope we field the best team possible against Geelong. Momentum is very important.
    I agree, need minimal changes now, rests should of been gold coast game time or around then. Regardless of the hawks result needed to go full strength this week
    Theres not much left to say

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast