Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: We wont win the premiership this year...

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    Those blokes played hard tough footy last night, and all year. A 7 point loss is not teh end of teh world, there isa huge upside still for us in a few of our players, no need to get negative. Keep n mind we still have a lot of young players in the side who are not used to the type of tempo and pressure of big games like that. It will hopefully improve them for teh finals atmosphere
    Spot on Gong and may I add that even if this doesn't work out to be our year, our premiership window looks like it's well and truly open, now and for a good few years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Spot on Gong and may I add that even if this doesn't work out to be our year, our premiership window looks like it's well and truly open, now and for a good few years to come.

+1 for both comments from GongSwan and Jewels. Our squad is still developing - we have a classy group of younger players coming through, another one with definite pedigree to join in next year in Mitchell, a certain Mr Rohan to return as well. There is huge upside from this team to come. The Premiership Window is open this year - we could win the flag if we play 4 or 5 matches of our very best football. Our best footy is now good enough to beat any team, on any day, on any ground in my opinion. Last night, as the loss against Collingwood and Adelaide earlier int he year, are awfully difficult to take as fans, and I'm sure they are for the players as well. But they will learn from it, and this team will continue to improve.

When you think about it though, what a remarkable season. We've lost 4 games - 3 of them by a kick or thereabouts. Only once, against Richmond have we truly not turned up and put a really disappointing performance in. That is what I love about our Swans - losses are very rarely due to a genuine lack of effort or desire - something that so many other clubs wish they could say about their teams every week, and one of the reasons our club is envied by a lot of people in the footy world.

We might not win the Premiership in 2012, but we just might!

# BELIEVE - SWANS 2012

Senior Player
    Haz ,

It's all about four quarters. I said at QT , if anybody thinks this will be a walkover , remember the Cats v Hawks game a few weeks back.

More often than not , the team which gets off to a flyer will win the game , even if they get reined in.

And take comfort - a one-point last-second win v Geelong would restore your faith !
    Far be it from me to point out that , mathematically , we could still drop to 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Far be it from me to point out that , mathematically , we could still drop to 5th
    Or finish on top if results go our way!
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Senior Player
    I?d argue that both Collingwood and the Hawks had to play at their very best to beat us. I?d also argue that we lost the game to Collingwood through poor kicking for goal as opposed to them actually winning it.

Re the tempo football argument ? during Hawthorn?s 6 goal 2nd quarter burst, and the final minute or so of the game, we were barely able to get our hands on the ball, which kind of makes the desire for tempo football redundant.

Still, they were mightily impressive. We can match it with anyone and having nothing to fear heading into the finals. We?re as good a chance as any.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Sitting where they are and what they have achieved this year, this is a massive opportunity to win another Granny this year. Longmire knows it, the players know it and we all know it... A bit of good fortune with injuries from now on, some really good coaching, the rub of the green, some fair (dinkum) umpiring... and composure under pressure (maybe the most critical factor).
    The recent article by Gary Lyon about The Swans is a testament to where they are at.
    They can definitely go all the way.
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Re the tempo football argument ? during Hawthorn?s 6 goal 2nd quarter burst, and the final minute or so of the game, we were barely able to get our hands on the ball, which kind of makes the desire for tempo football redundant.
    Their second quarter burst matched our first into second quarter burst. Then it was just a grind for the next half. But after Ryan's goal I think the Swans thought it was in the bag, relaxed and the Hawks swooped. Better then in H&A than in a sudden-death final.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    The centre clearance work when the other team gets momentum definitely needs alot of work. We just need to control the tempo a bit better when the other team surges (something that the 2005 team did so well).
    Thankfully we can look on the bright side because we are getting a heavy handed test right before when it really counts and we have been ultra competitive in each game against the top 4. I'd rather this run home than Adelaide who basically have 2 byes to soften themselves up leading into a much harder edged team like us who have been tested by the really good teams.
    Made the comment on the other forum that we set up entirely offensively for those last few centre bounces. Pushed the HB line right up towards the wings, had no one in the middle covering the defensive side. I can understand why they did that for the last one, where we desperately needed a goal (though not so desperately that we couldn't have afforded to be a bit more conservative - there was still a minute to play). I have no idea why we set up like that when we had the lead, though.

At the moment, our attacking setup has the opposition clearing taps they decisively win down to their midfielders, as well as pretty 'neutral' taps that really should be 50/50 balls.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know the boys are giving this year everything they've got.
    We've got an awesome opportunity this season. I don't think we need to fear any team. We've proved we can match it with Pies, Hawks and Crows. The one unknown is a full strength West Coast but I'd argue we would again match them quite well.
    Who knows how long we will have Goodes, Jude, Shaw and ROK.

One thing is for sure... no one gives up a lead like the Swannies!!!

Bit disappointed with that.
    Gotta play the full four quarters at this time of the year.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    I know the boys are giving this year everything they've got.
    We've got an awesome opportunity this season. I don't think we need to fear any team. We've proved we can match it with Pies, Hawks and Crows. The one unknown is a full strength West Coast but I'd argue we would again match them quite well.
    Who knows how long we will have Goodes, Jude, Shaw and ROK.
    If those 4 plus Mattner are going to be part of the team that holds up our next premiership cup it can only be this year or the next and this year we are in with such a good chance. No doubt they will be very focussed and determined. It will just need cool heads in the critical crunch times to get them over the line.

Potential upsides from Sat. are Goodsey, Jets and Reid - as well as improvement in the spread of the forwards, more precision in delivery to them and the talls taking more contested marks. That should just about get us there!

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    Sitting where they are and what they have achieved this year, this is a massive opportunity to win another Granny this year. Longmire knows it, the players know it and we all know it... A bit of good fortune with injuries from now on, some really good coaching, the rub of the green, some fair (dinkum) umpiring... and composure under pressure (maybe the most critical factor).
    The recent article by Gary Lyon about The Swans is a testament to where they are at.
    They can definitely go all the way.
    Hot Potato - are you able to post a link to the Gary Lyon article? Wouldn't mind a read. Thanks.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast