Thread: Hall of Fame Nominations

Hall of Fame Nominations

OK, it seems now that being a Champion Third Grader at Manly for 15 years (despite persistent overtures to play at SFL level) is enough to induct you into the NSWAFL Hall of Fame.

Now that the bar has been well and truly lowered do any of you have any "local heroes" you'd like to induct?

* Yard from Penno
    * Abbott from UNSW
    * Huddo form Wests
    * Burnett from the Gong
    * Dugmore (Uni/Saints/ECE)
    * Physick from ECE
    * Raper from Saints

If ANY of these players has been beaten to to a HOF place by this muppet (and I am sure you can provide dozens more) then it is a DISGRACE!!!

Almost Football Legend
    One of the criteria for selection is you have to have been retired for 3 years - several of the names on Mug Punter's list are still playing or only recently retired. But I'm sure their time will come.
    All of the names in MP's post would be worthy of inclusion.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    * Yard from Penno
    * Abbott from UNSW
    * Huddo form Wests
    * Burnett from the Gong
    * Physick from ECE
    * Raper from Saints

If ANY of these players has been beaten to to a HOF place by this muppet (and I am sure you can provide dozens more) then it is a DISGRACE!!!
    I get your point MP. FYI, Burnett is already in the HOF.

What about McCoustra and Mulvey from the Students, Byrnes from UNSW, Zuber from Sutherland, Biscoe from Balmain, Ray Horton from Liverpool and Uglo from the Kookas? Also, Timmy Anderson was a much better allround players than Jacko so maybe Manly should push for his inclusion too.

All equally as worthy surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I get your point MP. FYI, Burnett is already in the HOF.
    And well deserved too....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    * Yard from Penno
    * Abbott from UNSW
    * Huddo form Wests
    * Burnett from the Gong
    * Physick from ECE
    * Raper from Saints

I believe that playing alone should not be good enough, it needs to be either leadership, coach or off-field involvement to qualify, as that is where the real strength in a member of the Sydney AFL is displayed.

Yard, Burnett, Huddo, Raper & Abbott would all qualify under this criteria. Dugmore would be omitted.

Also the standard of the grade played is absolutely crucial - A player such as Abbott from UNSW/ES would have kicked 150-200 in 3rd grade and would be of 'legend' status if this Jaret gentleman is considered 'hall of fame' material. Hall of Fame awards need to recognise the best of the best. Not for the best of 3rd grade.

Best regards,

Roger Sterling

Spot on, if ever there is a case of rewarding mediocrity then this is it