Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How good are we in the wet?

Hawks like their pin point passes and rely on their silky left foot mids (they've got heaps) to repeatedly hit targets. Doesn't seem ideally suited to wet weather IMO.

On the other side, we crack in and put pressure on. Kicking longer and almost always forward (heard on one of the footy shows that we have fewest backward kicks in the league by a big margin - not sure if that's true or not, but it feels about right). Sounds like wet weather footy to me!

I think we have lots to be pleased about. And maybe a wet MCG could be the happy upside for playing in the wet so much last year (which was otherwise just plain miserable and very fan un-friendly at the time)!

Quote Originally Posted by swansprincess View Post
    Apparently light showers in the afternoon, but still thunder.....
    Yep, we'll be shaking it down from the sky...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Hawks like their pin point passes and rely on their silky left foot mids (they've got heaps) to repeatedly hit targets. Doesn't seem ideally suited to wet weather IMO.

On the other side, we crack in and put pressure on. Kicking longer and almost always forward (heard on one of the footy shows that we have fewest backward kicks in the league by a big margin - not sure if that's true or not, but it feels about right). Sounds like wet weather footy to me!

I think we have lots to be pleased about. And maybe a wet MCG could be the happy upside for playing in the wet so much last year (which was otherwise just plain miserable and very fan un-friendly at the time)!
    Yeah I guess I'd back rapidfire handpasses and running as holding up slightly more than pinpoint kicks in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Yeah I guess I'd back rapidfire handpasses and running as holding up slightly more than pinpoint kicks in the rain.
    Easier to change rapidfire handpasses (in an expected higher number of ground contests/packs) to punches forward, than to adjust pinpoint kicking to . . . (not sure what).

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Yep, we'll be shaking it down from the sky...
    Love it. How better to win a flag than with the weather gods providing the soundtrack!

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Couldn't agree less about Jetta. Certainly it won't help him if the game becomes even more congested than normal, but once out in space, I suspect his wet weather skills are as good as anyone's in the team. I went to Adelaide last year for that dreadful, soggy loss and Jetta's handling of the ball stood out.

The WA vs SA game in the year before he got drafted, which was the game when everyone sat up and started really taking notice of him, was in heavy conditions too. There is a quote in one of today's papers from Scott Watters, taking about how Jetta just glided along on top of the ground during that game.

I would prefer it isn't wet but I think we have improved significantly as a wet weather team over the last two seasons. We did get rather a lot of practice last year.
    I pray you're right liz. He is so important for us. I guess "useless" was a bit harsh as I have no doubt in regard to his skills. From my memories of last year, he seemed to go missing in the wet. I am very glad to hear that he has form in the wet and that he even rates himself as a wet weather player. I shall sleep just that little bit better now.

On the Rookie List
    Think Jetts - like Cyril - will be fine in the wet. They're both really clean below the knees. Don't think it will suit either side. Maybe us fractionally more in that we don't rely on marking forwards as much as they do. As given their reliance on precision kicking we might be able to capitalise on a few skill errors in the back half. Wet or dry Joey, ROK, Jude, Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell are going to slug it out. Probably where the game is won (as winning the middle will determine each side's ease and quality of getting I50).
    Twitter: @tp_rose

If it is as cold and miserable as has been forecast, I wonder if Jets, or others, will bring out the long sleeves. He wore them regularly his first 2 seasons, but I can't remember seeing them this year.

Maybe before this year he was waiting to build up the guns....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Sounds like they will need a full wet suit.

I feel that our 22 is a bit top heavy. We have a lot of height in our forward and defensive lines that might struggle a bit if the ball is consistently below their knees. I am not sure that we have great replacements though (McGlynn would have been handy), but I make Parker start the game.

The strength of our midfield as been their ability to run to contests and outnumber the opposition. The weather will not affect this situation and so long as we do not overdo possession we should be ok at clearances.
    My concerns relate to our talks on the forward line and their ability to change direction in the wet. Because the ball will be on the deck, it is likely that their more mobile defenders, e.g. Birchall, hodge, Bourgoyne, suckling and Stratton will be able to adjust sooner to miskicks and hand balls.
    This could be compounded by their run out of defence with the likes of young and bruest helping out across the midfield. Smith is also anther hawk hat likes to start moves from the half back line and his run hut us in Sydney.

I really must learn to edit my replies. Read talls for talks amongst a number of errors

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast