Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Bloods Culture

Quote Originally Posted by Old S.M.Blood View Post
    Around 1944 till 48 I lived at 356 Albert Rd Albert Park just across the road from the old
    South ground. I can still remember hearing the cry "Carn The Bloods" as far away as the Albert Park railway station. As you can see I had wait a "Bloody"long time to see my beloved South Melb Bloods Swans now Sydney Swans win 2 premierships.I still look on them as South Melbourne .As long as they are Red and White they are my team.
    I'm with you OSMB. There's still heaps of us that can walk to the-morning-after Grand Final celebrations. I'll have to check out No. 356 tomorrow.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Did the players in the 30's play for each other rather for individual kudos? is this how it equates to the current squad?
    The players and club in the 30's were the exact opposite of the way our team behaves now.

Archie Croft?s recruiting splurge had far more in common with Edelston?s idiocy than the targeted recruiting practiced by Longmire etal today. Players were recruited from all over with no idea how they would be incorporated into the team (some expensive recruits didn?t).

The playing group also contained some big ego?s and what would today be called behavioural problems. Austin Robertson left the club mid season to pursue a running career, Ron Hillis quit the club after being dropped, Hugh McLaughlan got involved in a punch up with the coach, one almighty piss up got so out of hand the club secretary resigned. And then there was the 1934 grand final, which ended with several players (including Bob Pratt) accusing team mates of taking money to lose.

Incidentally the team of the 1930?s were the first to be known as the Swans rather than the Bloods!

Conclusion: In a way, by choosing the name ?Bloods? Maxfield etal have in a way repudiated the teams of the 1930?s. Was this accidental, was choosing the "Bloods" name just marketing, or did they take a serious look at our history?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Pushing for Selection
    I can still remember in the middle 50s I took up smoking because there was an add for Turf smokes with a pic of Jim Taylor 20 and Don Scott 34 Saying "We too Smoke Turf"
    Turf were in a red and white pack. After the last quarter you could buy hot dogs cooked in little chip heaters .There was never enough to go around. 356 Albert Rd is still there the same as it was over 60 years ago I googled the pic up.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Yeah calling it the Bloods culture makes it sound a lot less sterile and corporate than "an institutional environment characterised by effectively-given omnidirectional feedback, in order to foster accountability and unity", doesn't it?
    Do you work for the Government R1? I used to come across that sort of language quite a lot dealing with the Department of Health. Nobody said straight out what they meant and it was all wank-talk/Gov-Spik. they used terms like 'In the fullness of time', 'In the current climate', 'Funding is essentially consequential to the positive egalitarian position of the relative agencies and dependent on budgetary considerations'. Not exactly something you can either understand or rely upon. It is gobbledygook.

i agree a footy team needs something simple to get their teeth into.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I think it sounds kind of cool, just doesn't make much sense.
    The media jumped on it and ran with it without worrying that it didn't make much sense.

It would be good to know how the club have defined the bloods culture within the club.
    Whether they see it as a reference to the past, or just a quirky line they went with, or if it's just a marketing tool (like the NDH 'policy')

But like I said, I love that we have the phrase and the nobody seems to really care that it has no real definition.
    These are the kinds of things that give clubs character.
    Like Collingwood being reluctant to trade with Carlton, various rivalries, Essendon & Collingwood and Anzac day, even Geelong and red heads
    There was a lot of iron in them there hills of the Geelong Zone. Probably accounts for the Redheads LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    There was a lot of iron in them there hills of the Geelong Zone. Probably accounts for the Redheads LOL
    Strangely enough there aren't that many redheads in the genaral population down here.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Strangely enough there aren't that many redheads in the genaral population down here.
    Lingy needs to get busier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Lingy needs to get busier.

And maybe the Rooster (nah, way too young, but family are kind of local.....)
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

They are humble, respectful, selfless and focus only on the team.They rarely discuss or highlight individuals. Even their stars are team players. They are boringly methodical, painstakingly disciplined, manically focussed.

Their coach John Longmire has seamlessly moved into the senior position without fanfare. He is incredibly understated and his disposition mirrors exactly the desired demeanour of the entire club. He is his own man and has taken this club to greater heights since the "without fuss" transition from former guru Paul Roos. He seems to have an even greater respect from players than Roos - if that is possible - and has more belief in the skills and abilities of his charges as evidenced by the game style. Today's team definitely move the ball quicker, take more risks and play an infinitely more entertaining style. In many ways Longmire's personality and humble style is better suited to the values and behaviour code adopted and lived by the club.

As is the habitual behaviour and "herd-like" mentality of most clubs we can expect to see off-season summits investigating what it was that allowed the Swans to win the premiership.

Identification is one thing - implementation is a completely different task.
    (From the Thomas article.)

He's so right. Everyone can see what we do, but no one can implement it.
    I would walk over broken glass for Kirky, but I reckon he and Ross Lyons would be hard pressed to get the swans "culture" going over at Fweo.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    (From the Thomas article.)

He's so right. Everyone can see what we do, but no one can implement it.
    I would walk over broken glass for Kirky, but I reckon he and Ross Lyons would be hard pressed to get the swans "culture" going over at Fweo.
    That is obviously the plan - lets bring in Kirky and see if he can manufacture a culture. Might work, but I doubt it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123