Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The AFL wants clubs to use rev-up entrance songs.

Senior Player

The AFL wants clubs to use rev-up entrance songs.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226551368889

THE AFL is following the lead of professional wrestling by asking clubs to find a pre-match entrance song for 2013.

While the song is not compulsory, clubs have been encouraged to find a suitable anthem that can inspire players and fans before teams hit the field this season.

Renowned in pro wrestling circles, the entrance song is common in US sports including Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, college football and the UFC.

Richmond tested the water last season by playing Welcome to the Jungle by Guns n Roses at some matches and Melbourne is exploring the possibility of a tribal theme for 2013.
    Any ideas for what we could use?

I hope we don't. It's some marketing genius' idea because they think we can't rev ourselves up.

If we have to though, why not buck the trend and go with Swan Lake? Or Swanee?

Happy and I know it
    Oh no. Don't they realise it's the football that revs us up?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Sweet home Novacastria

Just play the theme song, if that doesn't get the fans and players pumped up, they shouldn't be there!

Other notable mentions-
    Up there for Sydney
    Or Cappers hit song :-)

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Oh no. Don't they realise it's the football that revs us up?
    I'm with you on this one erica. Please just let us enjoy the natural atmosphere of the crowd and the game.

ACDC- if you want blood.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Our boys need to be revved up? Did they not see last year's Grand Final?

I remember going to Victoria Park many years ago to watch the Swans take on the Maggies and Collingwood entered the ground to Rose Tattoo's "We Can't Be Beaten." Unfortunately, it turned out to be true on that day!

Can't they just continue to run on to the ground to the club theme song? That works for me and, obviously, our players!

Maybe the AFL are talking about the naff nothings being played over the pa by someone promoting their latest release right up until the bounce.

I would just love it if there was some 'time' like five or ten minutes before the bounce, when the crowd could actually get into the mood, start rocking it a bit, instead of tuning out.

As for the club song, well perhaps it should be kept for the wins.

In passing, I used to just love Swanee How I love you how I love you being played, must have been around 1996. Change the words a bit, get an up and coming rocker to sing it out. Perhaps NOT We can't be beaten, that just adds fuel to the opposition fire. Highway to Hell? Or, now here's an innovative bit of thought, why not ask the players what they would like (not tony armstrong, he is too estoteric in his taste)
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    I'm sure they're not talking about replacing the club song. Must be at some other point, maybe just before they run out.

They played 'We will rock you' at least once last year. 'We are the Champions' would be appropriate for the first home game.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    They played 'We will rock you' at least once last year. 'We are the Champions' would be appropriate for the first home game.
    Don't often agree with you Wolfie (sorry) but I do with this one.
    Round 2 when unfurling our flag, it would be wonderful to have "We are the Champions" belting out over the PA, shame our opponent isn't a more detestable one than The Suns.
    For every other game I see absolutely no reason for anything other than the club song to be played - all I need to get me revved up.

Veterans List
    The song I've heard most of the crowd singing was when they played the Proclaimers' "500 Miles" after a game a few years ago.

It's Sydney so a Village People medley?

But it should be we are the champions until the flag is unfurled.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast