Thread: 2013 Annual General Meeting

2013 Annual General Meeting

Hey does anyone know what happens at the AGM? Is says members are welcome to attend. Do members have to vote or anything?

Looking at the agenda, the member elected director, will be re-appointed not re-elected. So I'm guessing that no-one else is standing for election. I think all other directors are appointed by the AFL?? and that unlike most other clubs the Swans' members are not allowed to vote on the adoption of the financial accounts. So the only Right a member has at this AGM is to ask a question about matters on the agenda - however the Directors are under no obligation to answer the question.
    If you're lucky you might get tea and a biscuit for turning up.

Sounds boring

The AFL still owns and operates the club. You can only ask questions, there is usually some older member that asks why the club isn't back in the 1970's, players overpaid, prices too high etc. There are usually only around 15 to 20 people that attend though one year I was the only one.... It would be nice to get a decent turnout, the AFL may then take the club membership seriously ~ finally.

If you think it could make a difference, then I don't see why some of us don't give it a go. I'd go as long as its not too boring

Veterans List
    I remember going to an AGM at South Melbourne in the late 70's to a packed house of about 30 people. That luminary Graeme John was on the committee. Things were not running too well at the club, or so we were lead to believe, and we might as well have been cardboard cut outs as certain raised hands were ignored. I suspect they are far more forthcoming and wellcoming these days.