Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armstrong vs Nick Smith

Veterans List
    I feel a lot more secure when Nick is fit to play. Whatever opposition star he plays on may as well not even bother to turn up. While Ted is more obvious I wouldn't be surprised to find Nick is more effective. Didn't he miss a few games last season - and the Swans slid when he did?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    my top 12 players at the Swans to build a team around in order !

1.Ted
    2.Tippett
    3.K.Jack
    4.Goodes
    5.Kennedy
    6.Jetta
    7.Macca
    8.Shaw
    9.Reid
    10.Mummy
    11.Grundy
    12.ROK

Smithy in the next 13 to 22 for me

and Jude would have been top5 but he is only one year away from retirement
    I would put AJ and Hanners before Goodes and ROK as those two are in the latter part of their careers. The current team had these 2 to build around.

[QUOTE=Auntie.Gerald;6047my top 12 players at the Swans to build a team around in order !

Smithy in the next 13 to 22 for me

[/QUOTE]

Totally disagree...Smith is one of the best, most consistent players, in the team....And a touted future leader of the club.

If his form continues, I'd expect him to be an All Australian back pocket before too long.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 18th February 2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'd love to see Smith have a run in midfield, like he did in Launceston against Hawthorn to such devastating effect, but I know how valuable he is to us in the position he currently plays. Perhaps next time we're running away with one he could shift positions in the 4th quarter or something.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    If his form continues, I'd expect him to be an All Australian back pocket before too long.
    I don't. Unless a player is regularly racking up 25+ largely uncontested possessions as a rebounding half back flanker, they will rarely get a look-in on the AA squad as a small or medium sized defender, regardless of how good their actual defending is.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I feel a lot more secure when Nick is fit to play. Whatever opposition star he plays on may as well not even bother to turn up. While Ted is more obvious I wouldn't be surprised to find Nick is more effective. Didn't he miss a few games last season - and the Swans slid when he did?
    Correct. Didn't play v Geelong in Geelong. And only came on at half time against the Hawks in Launceston. Check scores at half and full time. (Though Gibson departed around the same time...)

Armstrong has a lot to prove before he should even be compared to Nick Smith. He may get a chance to do that though, as Smooch is still recovering from knee surgery.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't. Unless a player is regularly racking up 25+ largely uncontested possessions as a rebounding half back flanker, they will rarely get a look-in on the AA squad as a small or medium sized defender, regardless of how good their actual defending is.
    Agreed but if Nick continues to shut down quality small forwards week in week out in 2013 I reckon he'll get more than a mention in AA considerations. I think more and more people are starting to really notice the quality of his work.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Sad but true. On many measures Rhyce Shaw should have been a great AA prospect last year, but scarcely got a mention.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Smooch has an amazing ability to concentrate in the moment, all game long. That is why he is an elite in the position he plays. No contest. He is the stuff of nightmares for the opposition. He plays fair too, never gives the ops any reason to have a go at him.

Cannot imagine anyone thinking he needs to "improve" or watch his position in the team.

I absolutely agree, he is most likely captain material out of all of the boys coming through. Educated, smart, footy smart, good looking, lovely teeth, and a dead sexy back. What more do you want!
    Yep. Agreed. Future captain material. Comes from the same stock as Kelly and Kirk. Always thinking, great footy brain, precision with assessing situations. Can't comment on his back but he does have exquisite toes.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I would put AJ and Hanners before Goodes and ROK as those two are in the latter part of their careers. The current team had these 2 to build around.
    Yes I agree Nico you can't build a team around players that won't be playing in 5 years.

I think Nick is a potential captain too. He had already had a taste of the role after all as captain of Scotch College, Cyril's captain mind you. I think he will be a very good captain of the club when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    my top 12 players at the Swans to build a team around in order !

1.Ted
    2.Tippett
    3.K.Jack
    4.Goodes
    5.Kennedy
    6.Jetta
    7.Macca
    8.Shaw
    9.Reid
    10.Mummy
    11.Grundy
    12.ROK