Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Waterhouse dropped

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of McWilliams Wines and Cellarbrations as sponsors because alcohol is a massive problem in society.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of Coca Cola and Four n Twenty because obesity is a massive problem in society.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of VW and Europcar as sponsors because of the amount of people killed and injured on our roads each year.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of the Sunday Telegraph as a sponsor because... well... I just don't like News Limited

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of BsC as a sponsor because they make sports supplements.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of Channel 7 as a sponsor because they didn't show the GF in HD and they employ Bruce.

I'm more than happy to make up the shortfall of money by massive increases in Membership fees. It's only fair.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of McWilliams Wines and Cellarbrations as sponsors because alcohol is a massive problem in society.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of Coca Cola and Four n Twenty because obesity is a massive problem in society.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of VW and Europcar as sponsors because of the amount of people killed and injured on our roads each year.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of the Sunday Telegraph as a sponsor because... well... I just don't like News Limited

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of BsC as a sponsor because they make sports supplements.

I'm going to be asking the club to get rid of Channel 7 as a sponsor because they didn't show the GF in HD and they employ Bruce.

I'm more than happy to make up the shortfall of money by massive increases in Membership fees. It's only fair.
    Well said Al.

The hypocrisy is astounding.
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

Thanks Al exactly my point, we can take the high moral ground against any number of sponsors but it all boils down to one thing really - corporate sponsorship = success.

And Prims I do understand that there are many, many people adversely affected by the horrors of gambling addiction, but as Al pointed out in his very clever post, there are just as many people just as adversly affected by alcoholism, obesity, reading crap News Ltd journos garbage and yet no one seems to have an issue with those companies.

Maybe its just that having gambling shoved in my face all the time makes my skin crawl.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

There is a big difference between Tom Waterhouse and our other sponsors. Our Swan players can legitimately use the products of the other sponsors should they wish but the AFL bans players from betting on AFL matches (e.g. Heath Shaw banned for 8 matches.) There is something quite hypocritical about having our players promote a product they can't themselves buy.
    I will be delighted if Tom Waterhouse (or any other gambling connection) is no longer associated with our club. I felt that the integrity of the Swans was dented by the harm that promotion of gambling is likely to do to some of our supporters and possibly some of our young players. Despite Tom Waterhouse's spin, he was not a sponsor for the good of the club. He wanted to encourage people to gamble and to legitimise his product through association with a well-regarded team and well known players; that is to normalise gambling particularly for young people, as part of enjoying the game. None of the other sponsors promote their products in that way. The Swans would further enhance their reputation for a club with a strong moral culture if they have backed away from the pursuit of gambling revenue.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I must admit that I don't like the promo models standing at the entrances and handing out betting info; I like that we don't have cheerleaders, and I personally am not too keen on gambling (I am anti-pokies, but otherwise somewhat indifferent on the whole thing and just concede it's probably not my cup of tea).

I walk with my son past them each game; I'm raising him to be (hopefully) a good man and respect women, the marketing (in my mind) goes against that and does annoy me.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I walk with my son past them each game; I'm raising him to be (hopefully) a good man and respect women, the marketing (in my mind) goes against that and does annoy me.
    Another very good reason not to want this sponsor. Well said Stella.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Thanks Al exactly my point, we can take the high moral ground against any number of sponsors but it all boils down to one thing really - corporate sponsorship = success.

And Prims I do understand that there are many, many people adversely affected by the horrors of gambling addiction, but as Al pointed out in his very clever post, there are just as many people just as adversly affected by alcoholism, obesity, reading crap News Ltd journos garbage and yet no one seems to have an issue with those companies.
    Fair enough, and we could add Collingwood supporters, thinking about Demetriou's salary, and this year's rules changes to that list: there are lots of things that are bad for us and drive us nuts.

But I think Prim made the right point that we should keep gambling business and sport at arms length, given that one stands to gain from outcomes in the other. The AFL should not have any incentive to do any favours for sports betting firms, or to be beholden to the financial health of those. You can see by the massive soccer match-fixing scandal unfolding in Europe right now the kind of catastrophe waiting to happen. The league has taken hits on its reputation from the relatively minor supplements and tanking sagas. Why take the risk?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Goes up to 11
    My issue with Tom was that he was being shoved in my face weekly by the Swans via my Facebook page. No other sponsor was foisted on me on a weekly basis by the Swans, and I made it clear to the club that I didn't like them doing that on Facebook.

For the record I don't mind the odd flutter now and again, for a few dollars leisure spend. I can't warm to young Mr Watercloset though....

[QUOTE=Meg;605008]There is a big difference between Tom Waterhouse and our other sponsors. Our Swan players can legitimately use the products of the other sponsors should they wish but the AFL bans players from betting on AFL matches (e.g. Heath Shaw banned for 8 matches.) There is something quite hypocritical about having our players promote a product they can't themselves buy.
    I will be delighted if Tom Waterhouse (or any other gambling connection) is no longer associated with our club. I felt that the integrity of the Swans was dented by the harm that promotion of gambling is likely to do to some of our supporters and possibly some of our young players. Despite Tom Waterhouse's spin, he was not a sponsor for the good of the club. He wanted to encourage people to gamble and to legitimise his product through association with a well-regarded team and well known players; that is to normalise gambling particularly for young people, as part of enjoying the game. None of the other sponsors promote their products in that way. The Swans would further enhance their reputation for a club with a strong moral culture if they have backed away from the pursuit of gambling revenue.[/QUOTE

Sorry Meg but I think you are slightly skewing the facts to help your argument.
    You are quite correct in saying that AFL players are not allowed to bet on AFL games but they are allowed to bet on racing and other sports so there is nothing hypocritical about it. As for "He wanted to encourage people to gamble and to legitimise his product through association with a well-regarded team and well known players", isn't that the reason why Coke, Cellarbrations, Bsc etc all sponsor us? He is a business man who saw a good way to promote his product, that's it. And his product IS legitimate and until it isn't (which wouldn't worry me in the slightest) I personally have no trouble with his or any other business sponsoring us.

All moot points now anyway as he is no longer associated with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Sorry Meg but I think you are slightly skewing the facts to help your argument.
    You are quite correct in saying that AFL players are not allowed to bet on AFL games but they are allowed to bet on racing and other sports so there is nothing hypocritical about it. As for "He wanted to encourage people to gamble and to legitimise his product through association with a well-regarded team and well known players", isn't that the reason why Coke, Cellarbrations, Bsc etc all sponsor us? He is a business man who saw a good way to promote his product, that's it. And his product IS legitimate and until it isn't (which wouldn't worry me in the slightest) I personally have no trouble with his or any other business sponsoring us.

All moot points now anyway as he is no longer associated with us.
    Quite correct...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Quite correct...
    No not entirely correct. Tom Waterhouse used his sponsorship with the Swans to particularly promote betting on AFL matches. Yes he promoted all his other betting products as well but we were targeted for AFL and Swans matches in particular. Not sure if his emails to Swans members continued - I objected to member services after the first one and got no more. But he still had his own weekly message on Swans matches on the Swans site. And no, other sponsors are not trying to promote their products as part of normal enjoyment of the gamein the way that gambling promotions do. anyway if it is a moot point and he is gone, then excellent news.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast