Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
No not entirely correct. Tom Waterhouse used his sponsorship with the Swans to particularly promote betting on AFL matches. Yes he promoted all his other betting products as well but we were targeted for AFL and Swans matches in particular. Not sure if his emails to Swans members continued - I objected to member services after the first one and got no more. But he still had his own weekly message on Swans matches on the Swans site. And no, other sponsors are not trying to promote their products as part of normal enjoyment of the gamein the way that gambling promotions do. anyway if it is a moot point and he is gone, then excellent news.
I agree with Meg on this one, and was pleased to see tomwatercloset.com get flushed away.
A factor that hasn't been mentioned so far is the concern about gambling on sport and its potential links to organized crime. I'm glad the Swans are not going to use this sponsor any more, and I think the AFL, NRL and various other bodies ought to have a good look at themselves on this issue.
I'm in the UK atm and can't take time to find a link, but that well-known wowser Peter Fitzsimons ran a piece recently about the links between sport, gambling and organized crime.