Thread: Round 5: Sydney Swans Reserves v Hills Eagles

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 5: Sydney Swans Reserves v Hills Eagles

A Hard Day's Night

NEAFL Round 5
    Sydney Swans Reserves v Hills Eagles
    Friday 19th April 2013 4.10pm
    Sydney Cricket Ground

A short 5 day turnaround will test the recuperative powers of the reserves, but coming off a 197 point thrashing of Tuggeranong which shot them to the top of the ladder on percentage over reigning premiers Queanbeyan, there isn't too much to complain about. Jared Crouch's charges welcome some familiar faces to the SCG, as a strong looking Hills Eagles side look to make amends for their poor showing in last year's corresponding fixture.

The Eagles gave the Reserves a good hitout in a practice match a few weeks before the regular season started, and while the final margin was a rather 78 points, it wasn't a true reflection of the decent performance put up by the Eagles.

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsByesForAgainstPercentagePoints
    Reserves33001454207219.32%12
    Queanbeyan33001335222150.90%12
    Belconnen32101337293115.02%8
    Eastlake4220033938288.74%8
    UWS Giants31201305272112.13%4
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hills Eagles3120130234088.82%4
    Ainslie4130035341086.10%4
    Tuggeranong3120118340245.52%4
    Sydney Uni3030128939772.80%0

Past Meetings
    R20 Sydney Hills Eagles 9.5 (59) defeated by Reserves 27.18 (180) @ ANZ Stadium

In the inaugural meeting between the two sides, the Reserves were switched on from the very start and put 8 majors on the scoreboard before the Eagles had their first. The Eagles were more competitive after quarter time but their defence had no answer for the triple threat forward line of Mitch Morton, Matt Spangher and Tommy Walsh. Jed Lamb and Jarred Moore controlled the midfield for the Swans who had excellent service from ruckman Jesse White.

Goals: Morton 6, Walsh 6, Spangher 5, Meredith 2, Lamb 2, White, Wray, Robinson, Plug, Cunningham, Sertbas
    Best: Lamb, White, Walsh, Morton, Spangher, Moore

Recent Form
    Reserves
    RoundTeamVenueResultFA
    R1BYE    
    R2UWSAwayWIN107102
    R3Gold CoastHomeWIN110165
    R4TuggernongAwayWIN23740

Hills Eagles
    RoundTeamVenueResultFA
    R1BYE    
    R2AinslieAwayLOSS74132
    R3Sydney UniHomeWIN12993
    R4SouthportHomeLOSS99115

Last Round
    Tuggeranong 6.4 (40) defeated by Reserves 36.21 (237) @ Greenway Oval

The Reserves showed no mercy to a inexperienced Tuggeranong lineup, belting them consistently across 4 quarters to score the biggest win in the 2013 NEAFL season so far. Jed Lamb and Jake Lloyd fed off the work of dominant ruck Jesse White, while key forwards Mitch Morton, Tommy Walsh and Tim Membrey kicked 21 goals.

Goals: Morton 11, Walsh 7, Membrey 3, Jack 3, Lamb 3, Marsh 3, Rampe 2, Towers 2, Robinson, Lloyd
    Best: Lamb, Morton, Walsh, White, Lloyd, Rampe

Hills Eagles 14.15 (99) defeated by Southport 17.13 (115) @ Bruce Purser Reserve

Goals: Stubbs 5, Vlatko 3, Young 2, Pollock, Bradley, Reed, Garlick
    Best: Dragicevic, Stubbs, Buchanan, Garlick, Turner, Young

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    6Tom MITCHELL210Upped his game time from a half game 2 weeks ago to 3 quarters last week.
    11Jed LAMB3511Banging on the seniors door loudly, but could have been louder if he had converted more chances last week (3 goals 5 behinds)
    14Craig BIRD115Two sub jobs in a row meant he needed game time in the reserves.
    17Tommy WALSH274Dominated as the focal point in attack last week, his size and strength too much for Tuggeranong to handle.
    18Jesse WHITE318Improved fitness has seen him run out most games as the sole ruckman. Getting his hands on the ball a lot, but needs to be a tad cleaner to be more effective with them.
    22Dean TOWERS320Pushed higher up the ground, had his best game in the red and white last week with plenty of touches and assists.
    23Jordan LOCKYER300Released to the wing but yet to stamp his mark on any game so far.
    27Daniel ROBINSON323Not as high profile as fellow inside midfielders Lamb and Mitchell but plays to his strengths, very involved in clearances.
    33Brandon JACK350Bobbing up in the right places to kick goals and set up others.
    36Alex BROWN322Key defence role last week emphasised his versatility.
    42Xavier RICHARDS200Back in the side after one unexplained absence, could line up on Stubbs.
    44Jake LLOYD324A more outside role than we've seen from him, just as good there as he was inside.
    46Shane BIGGS300The defensive logjam as cleared out a bit with Rampe back in the seniors and Walsh forward, his run and carry will be crucial.
    Changes
    In: Bird (seniors), Richards (???)
    Out: Tim Membrey (???), Harry Cunningham (knee), Mitch Morton (seniors), Matthew Dick (???), Harrison Marsh (???), Dane Rampe (seniors)

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    47Stephen WRAY100 
    50Lloyd PERRIS000Swans Academy
    51Mitch CRAWFORD200 
    52Doug HADDEN100 
    53Harrison GREEN000Swans Academy
    54Erol SERTBAS110 
    55James BEHAGG000From Manly-Warringah
    59Thomas HEAD210 
    60Jordan WEIR310 

In: Green, Head, Perris, Sertbas. Wray
    Out: Matthew Bell, Calum Johnston

Reserves debut for Lloyd Perris (although he did play in the practice matches) and Green.

Reserves leading goalkickers
    • Mitch Morton 18
    • Tim Membrey 9
    • Tommy Walsh 7

For full list: 2013 Goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters
    • Jed Lamb 11
    • Mitch Morton, Jesse White 8
    • Andrejs Everitt 6

For full list: 2013 Best Votes - RWOwiki

Hills Eagles
    B:15. Stuart TURNER8. Ryan BARRETT1. Ben BOURKE
    HB:22. Damien BONNEY2. Scott REED18. Jack DIMERY
    C:19. Eugene KRUGER30. Amon BUCHANAN9. Jon VLATKO
    HF:11. Trent STUBBS9. Jamie VLATKO29. Rowan BILKEY
    F:27. Matthew EASTMAN31. Steven POLLOCK23. Callen YOUNG
    Foll:58. Luke GEMMILL12. Tim GARLICK17. Marc DRAGICEVIC
    Inter:14. Brad URE5. Ted STRUDWICK25. William BRADLEY
     38. Alex SNEDDON13. Aaron SAVAGE 

In: Eastman, Gemmill, Savage
    Out: Yoshi HARRIS, Mark SKUSE

Hills Eagles have managed to collate quite a few ex-AFL players in their 2013 team. Most famous of all of course is 2005 premiership player Amon Buchanan, who along with ex-Richmond player Marc Dragicevic doubles as an assistant coach. Another ex-Swan Eugene Kruger will also line up against his former team, whilst ex-Collingwood pair Trent Stubbs and Scott Reed fill in key positions at both ends of the ground.

Strudwick, Eastman and Sneddon have played as topups for the Reserves in the past.
    Last edited by ugg; 19th April 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    From twitter:
    @sydneyswans Congratulations and good luck to Harrison Green in his Swans Reserves debut this afternoon at the @scg #GoSwans

UGG, here are the selected teams - look forward to another informative preview from you

Sydney Swans
    46 S. Biggs 14 C. Bird 36 A. Brown 51 M. Crawford 53 H. Green 52 D. Hadden 59 T. Head 33 B. Jack 11 J. Lamb 44 J. Lloyd 23 J. Lockyer 6 T. Mitchell 50 L. Perris 42 X. Richards 27 D. Robinson 54 E. Sertbas 22 D. Towers 17 T. Walsh 60 J. Weir 18 J. White 47 S. Wray
    Hills Eagles
    1 B. Bourke 15 S. Turner 8 R. Barrett 22 D. Bonney 18 J. Dimery 2 S. Reed 11 T. Stubbs 9 J. Vlatko 30 A. Buchanan 29 R. Bilkey 19 E. Kruger 3 J. Vlatko 27 M. Eastman 23 C. Young 31 S. Pollock 58 L. Gemmill 12 T. Garlick 17 M. Dragicevic 25 W. Bradley 13 A. Savage 38 A. Sneddon 5 E. Strudwick 14 B. Ure 34 N. Crowe

Thanks justabaraker. Interesting that there is no Everitt, Membrey, Dick and Marsh. but maybe it's an incomplete list? There's only 21 players

Ugg .. u are just the person to help with my trivia question .... why do they list the BEST from 6th best to best eg last week Best: Lamb, Morton, Walsh, White, Lloyd, Rampe. where Lamb got 1 pt and Rampe received 6 pts.

When u see it written it appears that Lamb got the best and trails off from there.

I have the progress total so far as Jesse White on 12 pts and Jake Lloyd on 10 pts.

I took the points from NEAFL site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    Ugg .. u are just the person to help with my trivia question .... why do they list the BEST from 6th best to best eg last week Best: Lamb, Morton, Walsh, White, Lloyd, Rampe. where Lamb got 1 pt and Rampe received 6 pts.

When u see it written it appears that Lamb got the best and trails off from there.

I have the progress total so far as Jesse White on 12 pts and Jake Lloyd on 10 pts.

I took the points from NEAFL site.
    Ugg keeps the totals here, 2013 Best votes - RWOwiki

Veterans List
    So Trent Stubbs is still playing footy.

I remember when he signed a NSW Scholarship with Hawthorn a few years back that the Hawks supporters said he would become the best player ever to come out of NSW and that the Hawks had pulled a massive coup getting him out of the Swans clutches.

I then watched with interest as his career didn't blossom at Hawthorn or at Collingwood and wondered if the Hawk supporters got it badly wrong when Stubbs was a 16yo or whether Stubbs himself caused his "downfall".

Be interesting to see what becomes of him from here.

ScottH .. yes I suppose that is my question ..why the difference between 2013 Best votes - RWOwiki and the official NEAFL figures or am I looking at it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    ScottH .. yes I suppose that is my question ..why the difference between 2013 Best votes - RWOwiki and the official NEAFL figures or am I looking at it all wrong.
    The numbers they use refer to the rank and you can corroborate this by reading the official swans match report to see who they named as the best

The points I give them are based on a system I simply devised. I'm sure there are faults with it

Thanks Ugg & Justa for the update on the teams. I am looking forward to seeing the Twos go around tonight. Will be there with blanket I think as the wind is chilly and the SCG gets absolutely freezing in RED Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The numbers they use refer to the rank and you can corroborate this by reading the official swans match report to see who they named as the best

The points I give them are based on a system I simply devised. I'm sure there are faults with it
    Thanks .. I just could not connect the 2 .. but 2 different voting allocations ..its great work u do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

I do remember this from when I did it a few years back. It was confusing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast