Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 vs. Collingwood

On the Rookie List
    The change I'd like to see is a change in commitment level. Every time we are beaten, somebody (usually Jude) comes out and says "we need to be harder, etc". This week is a Friday night game. You can bet every player is planning his weekend in Melbourne (maybe not Mummy). I'd love to see some real skin in the game and for the players to decide that if they don't win, they come back Saturday morning for extra training or recovery or even review. But I would like to see more than words.
    There is no spoon

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jolly's cleared to play.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    No Shaw this week, Mattner to do fitness test and Reid to stay in the forwards.

Reid to remain a forward - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au
    I like the tone of this article....Seems to me, Reid will end up a defender, though probably not this year, when we have some targets up forward....Ie Tippett, Membrey....and one other
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'm not saying Walsh sucks, but, well, yes I am, play a kid that might have some sort of future, Walsh does not
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I like the tone of this article....Seems to me, Reid will end up a defender, though probably not this year, when we have some targets up forward....Ie Tippett, Membrey....and one other
    I don't think we will see Reid as a defender until the Tippo/Reid forward combo plays out. It's hard to find a dynamic duo forward line, so we've go to give it a shot. We already have some very good tall defenders, just that a couple are injured at the moment.

I do think he would make a very good defender, and maybe it will end up that way. In the long run, it will depend on how a number of players develop and what where the structural needs are.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    I'm not saying Walsh sucks, but, well, yes I am, play a kid that might have some sort of future, Walsh does not
    You cant kick like walsh does and expect to play AFL level. It would be scary if he had a run out of the backline looking for a target. I think the experiment with him has failed. We could really do with more run from the backline, Is Shaw Out for another week? With Shaw, LRT, AJ and matter out of our backline, it looks vulnerable.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    You cant kick like walsh does and expect to play AFL level. It would be scary if he had a run out of the backline looking for a target. I think the experiment with him has failed. We could really do with more run from the backline, Is Shaw Out for another week? With Shaw, LRT, AJ and matter out of our backline, it looks vulnerable.
    What, based on one kick for goal? I know it was a dreadful kick but seems a bit harsh to dismiss a bloke's career based on a single kick. He's kicked plenty in the reserves and does know what he's doing. We just need to find out whether, given a couple more games than the four he's played to date, he can adapt to the next level up.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    What, based on one kick for goal? I know it was a dreadful kick but seems a bit harsh to dismiss a bloke's career based on a single kick. He's kicked plenty in the reserves and does know what he's doing. We just need to find out whether, given a couple more games than the four he's played to date, he can adapt to the next level up.
    Yeah I agree, his kicking is generally OK.

He contests well, I reckon he looks like he could become a really good player.

He needs to string some games together, and get that feeling of belonging. I think for an overseas player, that's the key.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    He seems to me to have the right attitude. More than I could say for (insert favourite whipping boy).
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Is there any reason that consistent ressie watchers can identify why Mitchell should not be given a chance? Perhaps off the bench to start with? I understand his body, the step up, too good to risk early etc. arguments but ther are plenty of kids his age running around and getting games.

I have faith in the match committee but just get him out there, I say. I can't see how he would diminish the 22s we have put out on the paddocks so far this year.

I saw him play before the Geelong game and, while he was not the best on ground (which ironically I would have given to Walsh that night, or Chops) he seemed to run out the whole game and showed glimpses of sublime poise and touch.

Give him an extended run of games with a role that keeps him on the fringe of the hard stuff (as opposed to in the middle of it) and let him work up to pace and pressure of the elite level before our crucial August/September (hopefully) commitments.

In: Mitchell, White
    Out: Bird, Mummy

This game is looking ominous for the Swans.

Changes: In : Lamb Out : Everitt
    Give Lamb a full game.
    Give Bird a full game.
    Rampe to be sub

Mummys last chance...He needs a big game.

If he's carrying an injury, then bring in White to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Is there any reason that consistent ressie watchers can identify why Mitchell should not be given a chance? Perhaps off the bench to start with? I understand his body, the step up, too good to risk early etc. arguments but ther are plenty of kids his age running around and getting games.

I have faith in the match committee but just get him out there, I say. I can't see how he would diminish the 22s we have put out on the paddocks so far this year.

I saw him play before the Geelong game and, while he was not the best on ground (which ironically I would have given to Walsh that night, or Chops) he seemed to run out the whole game and showed glimpses of sublime poise and touch.

Give him an extended run of games with a role that keeps him on the fringe of the hard stuff (as opposed to in the middle of it) and let him work up to pace and pressure of the elite level before our crucial August/September (hopefully) commitments.

In: Mitchell, White
    Out: Bird, Mummy
    Don't imagine he'll get a game until he's strung at least 2-3 more games together in the 2's.

So after the Bye when we have some relatively soft games would be ideal...IMO.

BTW, doubt Bird will be dropped...with out Shaw he's one of our best taggers...I reckon he'll get a full game, and should.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast