Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Changes round 10 v Bombers

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Mainly because over the past twelve months White has been primarily playing as a ruckman with very little time as a forward.

I don't think there's much difference between the two to be honest, they both have serious (but different) flaws in their games which renders them unlikely to be successful as a key forward in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    I would honestly like a couple of RWO opinions regarding the selection of Tommy Walsh over Jesse White. I'd like to know why people think that the coaches prefer Walsh over White. I don't really want to get into a personal Wlash v White thing, but I would like someone to explain to me what they think the selection panel's reasoning is, that's all.

As a footnote, I remember when BBBH left and White stepped in, and he really played like a forward with potential, and a great kick. I know he hasn't yet lived up to that, etc etc etc. When I see Tommy play, I get nervous every time he goes near the ball, especially when he kicks it. And do we often lose when Tommy plays? Or is that my imagination?

So yeah - what would be the professional reasons for which Tommy edges out White? I would just like to hear someone's opion, because many here recognise the coaches preference of Walsh over White, and regardless of our own personal opions, why do the coaches lean this way tactically?
    I think it comes down to no confidence in White and he wont be play unless they have no other choice. We paid overs for tommy they have to try and make it work but given his performance against freo how he was selected? they wont select White. White has played FF is more agile better contested mark better kick and can back up in the ruck allowing rotations with pyke and mumford at ff so I cant really make a case for Walsh ahead of White maybe someone else here can?

Cheers

Waz

I think they have a very good idea what Jesse brings, or cannot bring, to the table. They probably have a fair idea about Tommy as well, but just need to know for sure because it seems likely at least one of them will be moved on at seasons end, possibly both, although I admit i'm unsure about contract statuses though.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I think it comes down to no confidence in White and he wont be play unless they have no other choice. We paid overs for tommy they have to try and make it work but given his performance against freo how he was selected? they wont select White. White has played FF is more agile better contested mark better kick and can back up in the ruck allowing rotations with pyke and mumford at ff so I cant really make a case for Walsh ahead of White maybe someone else here can?

Cheers

Waz
    We pretty much know what we've got with White, but not quite sure if Walsh can produce at senior level what he's done in the ressies. In his few appearances so far, he hasn't. I think it's a tossup with White based on performance, but hoping the something clicks and Walsh steps up on the big stage this time around.

I would honestly like a couple of RWO opinions regarding the selection of Tommy Walsh over Jesse White. I'd like to know why people think that the coaches prefer Walsh over White. I don't really want to get into a personal Wlash v White thing, but I would like someone to explain to me what they think the selection panel's reasoning is, that's all.

As a footnote, I remember when BBBH left and White stepped in, and he really played like a forward with potential, and a great kick. I know he hasn't yet lived up to that, etc etc etc. When I see Tommy play, I get nervous every time he goes near the ball, especially when he kicks it. And do we often lose when Tommy plays? Or is that my imagination?

So yeah - what would be the professional reasons for which Tommy edges out White? I would just like to hear someone's opion, because many here recognise the coaches preference of Walsh over White, and regardless of our own personal opions, why do the coaches lean this way tactically?
    I think the current selection panel has players pigeon-holed (for better or worse). White is a ruckman and so will only get a guernsey if one of the other ruckmen is out. Reid is a forward so he needs to be replaced with a forward - hence Walsh.

Personally I think we play better with tall, fast players across the wing and the backline, witness Reid on the wing last week. Under these circumstances you would not necessarily replace Reid with Walsh. In fact, Jessie could play that role better, but again, it is not his pigeon-hole!

It might be unfair to call is pigeon-holing, but they certainly replace like-with-like. But now I have contradicted myself because athletically Jessie is more like Reid than Walsh :/

On the Rookie List
    All good thoughts, thanks. These are my theories as well. However, do we think that a critical top 4 playoff during a premiership window is the best time to experiment with unknowns?

All good thoughts, thanks. These are my theories as well. However, do we think that a critical top 4 playoff during a premiership window is the best time to experiment with unknowns?
    When the 'known' is a player who has only ever shown glimpses, never taken the bull by the horns....Then the 'unknown' becomes a far more tantalising proposition...

IMO, Walsh will give a good contest on Saturday, he'll get his hands dirty.... White doesn't always do that.

I reckon Walsh has got plenty to offer....Hopefully we see it on Saturday.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I know the team listing is no real guide to the positions people end up playing, but I see Tommy W is down at full forward and I expect that's where he'll most likely start. Horse has said he wants him to present a target and bring the ball to ground, and if Tommy can do those with any consistency he probably has a future with the Swans.
    I agree with ernie k that there is much more unknown to Walsh than to White, and Saturday is a chance to add knowledge, both for the coaches and for Tommy. If he takes it and does well enough to continue forcing his way in he will be with us next season, but I don't think Jesse will unless Naismith takes much longer to get over his injuries. Even then I think the advent of Tippett will mean that there's no space for Jesse.
    And as triple B said, it will also depend on their contract status.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    Well if anyone wants to join me I might head over to Jesse's house in a black van with tinted windows with a bit of chloroform, take him away and get him a p****d off with the world. Seriously, with those physical attributes, and what is it, 300K a year or something, he can't fire up a bit?? I took my wife to the emergency room at RPA the other day, and this guy was in there talking about how he is an amateur cage fighter, and has been knocked out twice in one week, but he made 10 grand so it's OK. If that little dude with no training would step into a whooping for that...I mean, it really makes good football field aggression seem like a tea party.

At least Morton still presents eminent danger up forward, something we've lacked for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You don't rack up the number of possessions Mitchell has without being a pretty good endurance athlete, which was part of his reputation as a junior. I don't think Lamb is in the same category. I still think Mitchell will start as the sub, but if he did start, could conceivably run out the game well if he's built on the fitness level he came in with.

This has to be a career defining game for Tommy Walsh. If he impresses, he will get another go in Adelaide. If not, White will almost certainly take his place. After the bye, it will be difficult for either to get a gig. If Tommy doesn't do much this week, the conclusion will have to be that regardless of NEAFL form, he is just not up to senior level, and probably never will.
    Perhaps a bit harsh to write TW off so soon. Still only 25, big guys take longer, still learning the game etc. He's in a good system and may be a late bloomer. At the very least, he is tradeable.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I think they have a very good idea what Jesse brings, or cannot bring, to the table. They probably have a fair idea about Tommy as well, but just need to know for sure because it seems likely at least one of them will be moved on at seasons end, possibly both, although I admit i'm unsure about contract statuses though.
    I'm pretty sure that Jesse is in the final year of his, and it's a decent amount- I wouldn't be too shocked if they could come close to doubling Mummy's salary by jetisoning Jesse (obviously need to add one more to the list etc). I don't know that doubling his salary is enough, because we do have him at a bargain rate already but it might be close with a long term deal. I'm sure it's in the front of the mind of our list management folks.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Im not fussed that they've chosen Walsh over White, I really see them as pretty much at the same level (in terms of what they contribute to the seniors). All we need Walsh to do is work hard, get into contests and force the ball to advantage/to ground when he can't mark it. Do that, and he will have done his job, even if he doesn't kick any goals.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011