Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft bombs

Just wild about Harry

Draft bombs

OK, because it has been 11 days since our last game, I have needed a footy fix so was taking a look through the last few pre-season drafts. They always make interesting reading, and it took until 2008 before I came across our first real failure.

At pick 12, we chose Lewis Johnston (currently played 3 AFL games) and at pick 30 we took Dan Hannebery (what a steal!). However, some of the names that were chosen in between those picks are:
    Ryan Schoenmakers (64 games)
    Luke Shuey (63)
    Hayden Ballantyne (75)
    Jackson Trengrove (66)
    David Zaharakis (78)
    Nick Suban (73)
    Jack Redden (87)
    Sam Wright (63)
    Dayne Beams (83)

oh, what could have been...

Is Johnston still on Adelaides list ?

Senior Player
    He fractured a leg bone in the SANFL, the same weekend Tex went down I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Is Johnston still on Adelaides list ?
    Yep, he was due to step into Tex's shoes when the giant mullet went down but got injured himself before he could, poor kid.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Veteran Site Admin
    This place would have gone into meltdown if the club had used it's first two picks both on mids in that draft. We needed some good quality talls, especially forwards, to groom to take over from Hall and Micky O. So if the first pick had been used on a Beams or Shuey or similar, we probably wouldn't have Hanners on the list. Trengove or Schoenmakers are the only two half decent talls on that list, but not convinced either would make our "best" defense any better than it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    This place would have gone into meltdown if the club had used it's first two picks both on mids in that draft. We needed some good quality talls, especially forwards, to groom to take over from Hall and Micky O. So if the first pick had been used on a Beams or Shuey or similar, we probably wouldn't have Hanners on the list. Trengove or Schoenmakers are the only two half decent talls on that list, but not convinced either would make our "best" defense any better than it currently is.
    Thanks Liz for some intelligent analysis (and thanks Doss for some interesting research). I think you are right (Liz).

Trengove and Schoemakers would have been good to have on our list instead of LJ but missing out on Hanners would have been unbearable.

You have to put that one down - once again - to great list management and draft execution. Roosy had the masters' eye on Hanners and they probably knew exactly when to step in and grab him but you could argue that they missed the mark by going for LJ at first call.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. - I would imagine there are a few discussions on other fan sites that curse their list managers for not taking our only DH.

Just wild about Harry
    Campbell Heath was taken at 61 that year, so I guess it adds to your argument. However, the previous year we took Veszpremi, Meredith and Bird, so we must have been looking for mids or forward flankers. A couple of those names would have fit in well.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LJ looked to be the right pick at the time.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Not sure, but didn't we have some sort of "academy" type arrangement that allowed us to get Hanners relatively cheap.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    2008 AFL Draft Round 2

From about 5:35

You can see the Swans' group were in deep discussion for about a minute (other picks just before then only took a few seconds) after Collingwood picked Beams at pick 29 before picking Hannebery at pick 30, so we must have been keen on Beams before Collingwood jumped in before us.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    2008 AFL Draft Round 2

From about 5:35

You can see the Swans' group were in deep discussion for about a minute (other picks just before then only took a few seconds) after Collingwood picked Beams at pick 29 before picking Hannebery at pick 30, so we must have been keen on Beams before Collingwood jumped in before us.
    Thanks Ugg, this is why I love this site

Schoenmakers and Trengrove obviously would have been better picks than LJ. Both would have done better at the Swans than at their own respective clubs, because at both the Hawks and the Power they were given too great a responsibility too early on. Compare this to AJ who flourished as a 3rd tall. As has been stated, we were looking for a KPF and not a defender at the time. Schoenmakers has played forward at times, but not sure about Trengrove. In any case, a KPP was the right choice at the time. We just got the wrong one. Hanners would have been picked anyway, so long as we went for a tall at pick 12. As good as Beams has been, I am happier with Hanners. He's been fantastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast