Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The AFL admits an umpiring mistake in the Sydney-Carlton clash

It is not individual umpiring errors which annoy me, we are all human after all. It is the way the "interpretations" change each week. I heard a commentator saying that the players watch the Friday game to see how the rules are being interpreted this week. This situation is preposterous. This constant tweaking to stay ahead of player and team tactics is unnecessary and feels like a bunch of non-players trying to have their influence over how the game is played. Those on the field and those in the coaching box are the custodians of the game, not the administrators in Melbourne or Jeff Gieshen.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    They got something wrong?

K.Jack cleared of striking Walker or attempting or something. Anyway he's playing next week
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Mal decision may have only cost us a goal but in those conditions it amounted to 15 points. It gave Carlton some hope just before their half-time break. Brock McLean admitted on a TV show on Sunday that he had a smirk on his face running back to the centre after the decision. As for the Channel 7 commentators, not just on the night, time for Bruce and BT to hang up the boots. BT would have to be the laziest of commentators. He doesnt call players at all if he doesnt know them and no other commentator has the guts to come in and help him. OR he just blatently calls the wrong player and no one corrects him. I think he spends more time eating the party pies than doing some homework on player numbers.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    The Mal decision may have only cost us a goal but in those conditions it amounted to 15 points. It gave Carlton some hope just before their half-time break. Brock McLean admitted on a TV show on Sunday that he had a smirk on his face running back to the centre after the decision. As for the Channel 7 commentators, not just on the night, time for Bruce and BT to hang up the boots. BT would have to be the laziest of commentators. He doesnt call players at all if he doesnt know them and no other commentator has the guts to come in and help him. OR he just blatently calls the wrong player and no one corrects him. I think he spends more time eating the party pies than doing some homework on player numbers.
    I am a little disappointed to find that Umpire 23, Robert Findlay was not dropped for Round 15. He will be officiating the Q clash up at the Gabba.

I don't want to destroy this bloke, and lets agree it was one mistake, albeit an extremely bad one. That said, it would have been appropriate for the AFL in all circumstances to have dropped him for at least one round.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I am a little disappointed to find that Umpire 23, Robert Findlay was not dropped for Round 15. He will be officiating the Q clash up at the Gabba.

I don't want to destroy this bloke, and lets agree it was one mistake, albeit an extremely bad one. That said, it would have been appropriate for the AFL in all circumstances to have dropped him for at least one round.
    Isn't that the same as officiating a lower grade match?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Had that goal not (rightly) been awarded the commentators comment that it would have been the first time in history that Carlton were kept goalless to half time may have come true.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Had that goal not (rightly) been awarded the commentators comment that it would have been the first time in history that Carlton were kept goalless to half time may have come true.
    Findlay was obviously aware of that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by alt_mattr View Post
    ... I heard a commentator saying that the players watch the Friday game to see how the rules are being interpreted this week. This situation is preposterous. ...
    Yes, luckily the Swans played Brisbane on a Sunday and had time to prepare. Conversely, the whistle happy umpire backlash caught us sleeping past the bye.

FREEKICKS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    Jesse's goal still irks me, it was such a beautiful play and from my seat in the Brewongle concourse it was quite clearly in.
    Full credit to Jesse-he didn't let it get to him, just kept powering on.
    From my possie in the Trumper with Jesse powering forward towards me it was, unfortunately, out. It would have been "in" if the ump had called it and we wouldn't have argued, but honestly it was out. Just for a moment though.

Has to be nominated as the best "Non" Goal of the Year.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Findlay has umpired a final. If he has supposedly attained the standard to umpire an AFL final he should not make howlers like that one. Maybe he grew up in Coburg or North Carlton or something and just couldn't stand the Blues getting a further embarrassing record.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12