Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaw, Rampe, Smith

Shaw, Rampe, Smith

Just wondering what you thoughts are re Shaw, Smithy and Rampe all being in the backline together at the same time?

My guess is it could work ie Shaw comes in for Macca who has being doing great work off the HBF possie

My other guess is that Rampe will not be dropped given he can play on med talls as well as smalls
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

To have Shaw Rampe, Smith.....The only real change from the present, is Shaw in for McVeigh.

Which will probably happen, but I've loved McVeigh at half back, he's been playing some of his best footy there.

It will be a shame to move him...It's not like the mids need reinforcements at this stage.

Shaw is a totally different player to McVeigh, he adds plenty of run, but his disposal is erratic at best.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

If Shaw comes in this week my guess will be Cunningham will be dropped, McVeigh will go back to the mid and Shaw will go in the back line

On the Rookie List
    Reckon Shaw might play one more in the NEAFL. Harry's got his work cut out to stay in there, would like to see him have a bit more game time down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodStainAngel View Post
    Reckon Shaw might play one more in the NEAFL. Harry's got his work cut out to stay in there, would like to see him have a bit more game time down the track.
    Bye in the NEAFL this week.

I hope they keep Macca at HB. He's top 10 in the coaches votes and has improved the backline. I could see Shaw playing a defense forward role like Bird was playing. He played a few matches at FF a few years ago and was very effective in the forward half.

Doubt it'll happen, but I like Macca and Mal coming off the HB flank, especially at the SCG.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veteran Site Admin
    Assuming Shaw makes it back into the team (and he will when he is ready physically), I think he'll be used in bits and pieces roles for the rest of this year. That might include some midfield tagging (which he has done in the past), some playing as a genuine back pocket, especially against sides with more than one dangerous small forward, and maybe sometimes as a half-forward - another role he's not a complete stranger to. Next year he may resume his normal role in the back half, but I think the coaches will be loathe to mess too much with the McVeigh / Malceski set-up for the rest of this year unless we get injuries to midfielders and need to bring Macca back into the centre of the ground.

Blog Entries
    Ideally, He'd either free up Macca to go further up the ground.
    But why break something that is working pretty well ATM.

Put him in the goal square and see what happens. Has proved himself there before as a fast leading fwd.

I realise that Macca is playing in Shaw's possie and playing it very differently but he's doing a brilliant job and it would be folly to move him IMO. There is definitely a place for Shaw but I can't figure out where it is at this stage, perhaps on a wing for Jetta until he returns?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

In the interview on the club website today McVeigh is asked the Shaw question. His response is kind of garbled, but basically ends up saying "we'll mix it up".
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

it is an interesting one isnt it

if Macca came back from a 8 week plus injury where would we play him if our team was on fire ?

so why are we reluctant to ease Shaw into a possie that he dominated in 2012 - he was our general in the back line in 2012 !

tough call
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Bye in the NEAFL this week.

I hope they keep Macca at HB. He's top 10 in the coaches votes and has improved the backline. I could see Shaw playing a defense forward role like Bird was playing. He played a few matches at FF a few years ago and was very effective in the forward half.

Doubt it'll happen, but I like Macca and Mal coming off the HB flank, especially at the SCG.
    It doesn't matter that there is a bye in the NEAFL this week Rhyce still will not play. He is not match fit and has about as much chance as Rooster to play. Down the track I think he will actually have to battle to get back into the side the way we are playing. The only players I can see going out at this stage are Harry & BJ.

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    In the past McVeigh has played a sweeping type of role when Shaw has played, he drops back and plays just in front of the back six
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast