Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs Cut Vez

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    How many from Emma Q's book on the 2007 draft are still playing?
    From memory, all of them and pretty bloody well except Vespa.

Cotchin, Big Boy McEvoy, Cyril, Brad Ebert and Vespa were the five main characters from memory.

I've got that book packed away somewhere, I must drag it out for a re-read because it covers all the draftees in some way, it will be interesting to see how they all got on...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    A dud draft choice.... we all know who was next in that draft......
    If memory serves it was Rioli. Is that right?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    If memory serves it was Rioli. Is that right?
    Yes, but according to Emma Quayle in "The Draft" he would only go to a Melbourne club so there was no way we would have gotten him.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    From memory, all of them and pretty bloody well except Vespa.

Cotchin, Big Boy McEvoy, Cyril, Brad Ebert and Vespa were the five main characters from memory.

I've got that book packed away somewhere, I must drag it out for a re-read because it covers all the draftees in some way, it will be interesting to see how they all got on...
    I don't really read sports books at all, but I was given that book when it came out and flicked through the first page and ended up reading the whole thing. I thought it was well structured, fairly well written and was just fascinating as an insight into elite juniors.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Yes, but according to Emma Quayle in "The Draft" he would only go to a Melbourne club so there was no way we would have gotten him.
    I'm sure Micky O and Goodesy would have worked on him had we been interested. I know you don't want to draft a player who doesn't want to play for you, but you can't make demands of where you'll play when you're drafted. That's for pre-season drafts and free agents!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I'm sure Micky O and Goodesy would have worked on him had we been interested. I know you don't want to draft a player who doesn't want to play for you, but you can't make demands of where you'll play when you're drafted. That's for pre-season drafts and free agents!
    He was also hard to deal with and pouty during draft interviews. This coupled with his desire to play in Melboune my guess is the no dickheads policy was invoked.

Regardless i'm sorry to hear for Vez. Afterall he is young kid still who has just lost his dream.

However we as supporters can still put this to the side to discuss the draft, and yes another missed opportunity for our first round picks. And as stated another reality to check for Dre. Up and at em for this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    He was also hard to deal with and pouty during draft interviews. This coupled with his desire to play in Melboune my guess is the no dickheads policy was invoked.
    My read was that he was 'hard to deal with and pouty' because he was desperately homesick and feeling pretty lonely. As a rule the indigenous boys do seem to suffer from that more due to life in the big smoke and the club environment being so far removed from where they have come from.

Doesn't make him a dickhead in my books.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    My read was that he was 'hard to deal with and pouty' because he was desperately homesick and feeling pretty lonely. As a rule the indigenous boys do seem to suffer from that more due to life in the big smoke and the club environment being so far removed from where they have come from.

Doesn't make him a dickhead in my books.
    Nor mine, I just think the club thought it too much effort on the back of some failed prior first rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Nor mine, I just think the club thought it too much effort on the back of some failed prior first rounders.
    Besides Rioli, there were plenty of other good picks in the teens that we could have taken instead of Vez: Brad Ebert, Jack Grimes, Harry Taylor, Alex Rance and Callam Ward. It was a pretty bad choice given the talent that came out of the top twenty.

We also bombed out by taking Meredith with our second pick.

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    Interesting to note that of 69 players drafted in 2007, only 38 are still on AFL lists with Vespa's departure. Of those 38, nine are at different clubs. We have two - Tony Armstrong (58 via Adelaide) and Craig Bird (59).

Some good names there http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...?year=2007&t=N

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting to note that of 69 players drafted in 2007, only 38 are still on AFL lists with Vespa's departure. Of those 38, nine are at different clubs. We have two - Tony Armstrong (58 via Adelaide) and Craig Bird (59).

Some good names there http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2007&t=N
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

To see Veszpremi squeezed in there between Dangerfield and Rioli really makes me sick to my stomach. What were we thinking?

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    To see Veszpremi squeezed in there between Dangerfield and Rioli really makes me sick to my stomach. What were we thinking?
    From what I recall Vespa was pretty much as highly rated as those other two. I didn't think at the time we had gone out on a limb or anything by picking him. It just seems that he was never able to build the motor needed to help him succeed - whether that was an attitude thing or something else - just shows that drafting still isn't an exact science....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast