Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dogs Cut Vez

Very true indeed jono. We were all so excited after his first few games as well. He really did looked like a star in the making.

There is a better hit rate with the top picks, but plenty of gems further down in the draft, and the rookie draft as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true indeed jono. We were all so excited after his first few games as well. He really did looked like a star in the making.

There is a better hit rate with the top picks, but plenty of gems further down in the draft, and the rookie draft as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    Interesting to note that of 69 players drafted in 2007, only 38 are still on AFL lists with Vespa's departure. Of those 38, nine are at different clubs. We have two - Tony Armstrong (58 via Adelaide) and Craig Bird (59).

Some good names there http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...?year=2007&t=N
    Thank God for Chook at pick 59. Not our finest year at the drafting table

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    From what I recall Vespa was pretty much as highly rated as those other two.
    Otherwise he wouldn't have featured in the draft book. We absolutely should have taken Callan Ward, that boy was born to the redandwhite!
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Anyone who has read the book might get a better insight into what the recruiters saw in him.
    From memory (and apologies if I get this wrong, i read the book when it first came out and i'm old, so the memory isn't what it once was) he was a good junior but struggled with weight and fitness so he set himself a program to lose weight and gain fitness and excelled and i remember thinking when reading the book, how that resolve would have probably been a much bigger plus in The Swans recruiters eyes then most others. Something like that anyway...

Really sad to hear, so much talent wasted. I remember when he kicked 4 against the lions early on in his career and i thought we had found another Nick Davis type. Unfortunately never got anywhere near it.

A genuine shooda cooda player. I think he found his life outside footy was more in keeping with his persona. I liked him. Thought he could have made it, but that is no guarantee is it. We have players on our list who were "never going to make it", so there you go. We draft them as kids (most of the time) and their wants/needs/ambitions are not settled at that age.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    A genuine shooda cooda player. I think he found his life outside footy was more in keeping with his persona. I liked him. Thought he could have made it, but that is no guarantee is it. We have players on our list who were "never going to make it", so there you go. We draft them as kids (most of the time) and their wants/needs/ambitions are not settled at that age.
    *cough*Raise the draft age*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Yep

This is one of the huge benefits for American sports - their college system.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    This is one of the huge benefits for American sports - their college system.
    There's an argument for and against the college system (NCAA making profit, kids none etc). But definitely for our game it's too young at 18 for the majority. I like the idea of them playing a year at a VFL/SANFL etc club, make the 1's if they are good enough. Mandatory schooling/trade for the first year. Let them get life experience, put on size, grow, play against men and see where they fall after that. It will strengthen the state leagues and make them a further point of interest for supporters. I'm sure i've overlooked things, but something similar to above.

When you have both players & coaches saying the same thing you have to wonder why it has not been looked at

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    When you have both players & coaches saying the same thing you have to wonder why it has not been looked at
    What's the point of having blokes like Ollie Wines, jack Viney etc wasting away in the VFL when they are clearly ready for senior AFL level because a minority like Vezpremi aren't mature enough to put their head down and work hard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast