Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Roos officially announced as Melbourne Demons

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    You've got a big future in politics ahead of you. The exaggeration . . . ignore the facts . . . the sneer. You've obviously got the technique down to a tee.

Where does all this hatred and aggression come from? Roos will go down in history as a Swans legend regardless of what Colless or anyone else says. Surely he warrants respect for his achievements, not petty sour grapes because he now works for another club?
    Well said chammond!

I can only hope that some of the views on here are from the idiot fringe. It will be a sad sad day indeed if Paul Roos comes to town next year and is not treated with the utmost respect.

Richard Colless needs to grow up and apologise. He is entitled to his personal feelings but they should never made it into the public domain. I suspect that there are many at Swans HQ and even fellow board members who are appalled at him, as usual, transcending his personal views into club policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Thanks sharp 9 for clearing up Tudor's contractual arrangements!

I will have to disagree with you on the point that the Melbourne Job is not better than Dews current Swans Job.

The Melbourne Job is a senior assistant job, which includes a publicly declared transition to Senior Coach in either late 2015 or late 2016. Stuart Dew is an assistant coach at the Swans, but there is no publicly declared commitment from the Swans to transition to Dew as senior coach. Many think that Dew will one day be the Swans senior coach, but it will not be in late 2015 or late 2016 like the Melbourne job will be! This is why the Melbourne job is a more senior roll!

I think Longmire is doing a brilliant job and will serve longer than Roos did as Swans senior coach. He seems very focussed and is living his dream! Any assistant at the Swans could be waiting a long time!
    Mmm yes I just read the article in question and it does say (unconfirmed, mind you) that the role has a guarantee to step up to senior (unlike M. Williams at GWS). So that would almost be a trigger to bring in the gentlemen's agreement...on the other hand if Melbourne think he is so great then they can have him in a year...he's not going to get worse is he? On the other hand if he doesn't want to be a t the club why force him to stay? Now I've run out of hands :-)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Well said chammond!

I can only hope that some of the views on here are from the idiot fringe. It will be a sad sad day indeed if Paul Roos comes to town next year and is not treated with the utmost respect.

Richard Colless needs to grow up and apologise. He is entitled to his personal feelings but they should never made it into the public domain. I suspect that there are many at Swans HQ and even fellow board members who are appalled at him, as usual, transcending his personal views into club policy.
    Um, on the subject of treating a club great with respect - this is a fail.

I think it's fair to say that Richard Colless has done a lot more for this club (and put a lot more effort into it) than Paul Roos. And I like the idea of my Chairman standing up and making a stand when another team is trying to plunder the Swans and using confidential inside information to do so.

Happy and I know it
    "AFL Coaches Association boss Danny Frawley has underlined Sydney's right to insist that Stuart Dew remains a Swans coach unless Melbourne, now under the direction of Paul Roos, offers the highly rated ex-premiership player a clear promotion."

Read more: Sydney backed on Dew decision

Sydney backed on Dew decision
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Mmm yes I just read the article in question and it does say (unconfirmed, mind you) that the role has a guarantee to step up to senior (unlike M. Williams at GWS). So that would almost be a trigger to bring in the gentlemen's agreement...on the other hand if Melbourne think he is so great then they can have him in a year...he's not going to get worse is he? On the other hand if he doesn't want to be a t the club why force him to stay? Now I've run out of hands :-)
    For all intents and purposes this is a senior AFL job in offer.

Was Stewie Dew actually offered the job or did he just ask for permisison to interview? I'm sure it is the second as I wouldn't think the Dees would be so careless....

We can dress this up any way we like but as we all know senior roles at the AFL do not grow on trees (Longmire of all people should know that). There is a gentleman's agreement that Assistants will not be held to contracts if they get a senior gig. We are not honouring that convention because of a personal feud that has developed between Richard Colless and Paul Roos.

I feel very sorry for Stewie Dew in all of this as he is the meat in the sandwich and if he is not allowed to interview then I expect him to walk and (rightly) give the Swans an almighty gobful on the way out...

We are not covering ourselves in glory here, really hoping that commonsense can prevail

Was Stewie Dew actually offered the job or did he just ask for permisison to interview? I'm sure it is the second as I wouldn't think the Dees would be so careless....

We can dress this up any way we like but as we all know senior roles at the AFL do not grow on trees (Longmire of all people should know that). There is a gentleman's agreement that Assistants will not be held to contracts if they get a senior gig. We are not honouring that convention because of a personal feud that has developed between Richard Colless and Paul Roos.

I feel very sorry for Stewie Dew in all of this as he is the meat in the sandwich and if he is not allowed to interview then I expect him to walk and (rightly) give the Swans an almighty gobful on the way out...

We are not covering ourselves in glory here, really hoping that commonsense can prevail
    I'm sure the club would have been more accommodating had it not been the case that the SAME CLUB is already in the midst of pinching other senior assistants. Should we just let all our coaching staff go to accommodate some perceived gentleman's agreement because as far as I can tell Dew would be an assistant coach in 2014 under Roos as he would be in Sydney. If they want to appoint him assistant in waiting in 2015, but all means they will be well within their rights, but until then the club will protect its own interests as it should.'Not covering ourselves in glory', give me a break!

Veterans List

We can dress this up any way we like but as we all know senior roles at the AFL do not grow on trees (Longmire of all people should know that). There is a gentleman's agreement that Assistants will not be held to contracts if they get a senior gig. We are not honouring that convention . .
    Wow, Stewie has been offered the role as the next coach of the Dees after Roos. Huge congratulations Mr Dew.

Lol up until recently, there were 4 senior coach vacancies! Rare as hen's teeth haha

I can only hope that some of the views on here are from the idiot fringe.
    So those who don't share your blind trust and love of Roos are the "idiot fringe" ??? Great irony, because IMO, that's an idiotic comment.

That aside, I agree Colless should of voiced his opinions to Roos directly and not in the public domain...

That's of course assuming he hadn't already warned Roos off, before going public...Neither you nor I know the answer to that.

As I said earlier, I find it strange, and extremely unlikely, that Colless would be so fierce against Roos, if Roos version of events is to be believed...

ie; He's just an innocent bystander who's been slandered with lies.....

Doubt it very much.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

The guys at the top are all pretty hard nuts. The thing with Roos is that he's managed his public image so well up to this point, becoming perhaps the most respected personality in AFL. But now he seems to have slipped up. He appears to have done something that has caused a rift with Colless. It may not have even been the incidents in question. But Colless seems to have been looking for a reason to have a crack at Roos now that both are effectively out of the Swans system. I think there is more to this than meets the eye. Perhaps it has something to do with Colless feeling that Roos exploited his legend status to 'extort' an excessive salary for his role at the Swans Academy. I have a feeling this has been brewing for a while.

It's hard to say exactly what happened, as there are conflicts about the facts. So we shouldn't jump to conclusions and fight among ourselves over this. It's one of those things where we many never know the truth, because no third party insider is willing to take sides in this scrap between 2 heavyweights.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 26th September 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The guys at the top are all pretty hard nuts. The thing with Roos is that he's managed his public image so well up to this point, becoming perhaps the most respected personality in AFL. But now he seems to have slipped up. He appears to have done something that has caused a rift with Colless. It may not have even been the incidents in question. But Colless seems to have been looking for a reason to have a crack at Roos now that both are effectively out of the Swans system. I think there is more to this than meets the eye. Perhaps it has something to do with Colless feeling that Roos exploited his legend status to 'extort' an excessive salary or his role at the Swans Academy. I have a feeling this has been brewing for a while.

It's hard to say exactly what happened, as there are conflicts about the facts. So we shouldn't jump to conclusions and fight among ourselves over this. It's one of those things where we many never know the truth, because no third party insider is willing to take sides in this scrap between 2 heavyweights.
    Well said, that man. I suspect that you have hit the nail on the proverbial.

+1. Seems a good summation.