Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

Does anyone think Alex Foster from Fremantle worth a go. "A former U18 All Aust, the traits he entered the system with ? elite kicking ability, composure and an ability to lock down on a variety of opponents ? haven't disappeared.

With Geelong's Andrew Mackie a player he has modelled his game on, he spent most of this season playing on tall and small opponents in the WAFL, offering rebound from the back half when he could."

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Chill out and trust the powers that be. This time last year this forum had a squillion threads and a squillion posters going on and on about our lack of depth as we had lost TDL, Gordon, Meredith, Moore, Seaby and Spangher and only added (at that time) Harry and yet, after all the injuries we had through the season, we had enough depth to get us into the prelim.
    How many senior games did that the group you mentioned play in 2012 ? I think it's a legitimate concern 707 raises. We're either putting a lot of faith into kids as injury back up ( even more so than last year

Or we're planning to get in some mature rejects

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    How many senior games did that the group you mentioned play in 2012 ? I think it's a legitimate concern 707 raises. We're either putting a lot of faith into kids as injury back up ( even more so than last year
    And how many injuries did we get in 2012? You cannot legitimately compare the two years because, with the exception of Mummy, every other player that has gone in this trade period was BACK UP ONLY so if we had the great run with injury last year that we had in 2012, it's quite likely that White, Lamb, Armstrong and Dre would have played very limited senior football last year and most on here would be calling them list cloggers. These blokes have every right to seek better opportunity else where and to earn better money then staying with a club "just in case".
    Of all the players that have gone, it appears to me that Lamb is the only one that we hadn't planned on losing.
    This time last year did anyone think the likes of Rampe, Biggs, Jack jn would be able to step up to the plate like they did? We have depth, sometimes you just need help to see it.
    All i'm saying is have faith, our club knows what it's doing.

Flsgs are won when u get a good run with injuries. You wont win a flag if players like armstrong line up in your grand final team.

Regular in the Side
    On the KB show this morning it was mentioned by GD that Jeremy Laidler might be on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    On the KB show this morning it was mentioned by GD that Jeremy Laidler might be on his way.
    I would be happy to get Laidler. Don't know why Malthouse didn't rate him.

Was very good for Carlton the season before.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Now Armstrong has gone, Lamb to follow, if you do a best 22 for 2014 you'll find that we have absolutely no back up players and several of the best 22 like Goodes, Shaw, Reid, AJ are coming back from significant 2013 injuries.

We surely we can't go into 2014 with the list as it currently stands plus 5-6 draftees. There must be a plan to add 2 or 3 mature delisted types or we have our sights on some mature types in the ND rather than all 18 year olds.

I'm getting more and more worried by the day despite having faith in our clubs plan.
    No idea how much depth you actually requite tbh....

Of the players mentioned, Armstrong non senior quality, Mumford will be replaced in the ND or PSD, Jed was well down the pecking order, White replaced by Buddy. Dre was a squad player.

Season saw us blood Rampe, BJ, Mitchell, Biggs and Cunningham. Can see Membrey, Lloyd and maybe Naismith stepping up in 2014.

So really, we just need one or two fringe players to step up to the plate to get to the 28-30 genuine senior players required to be competitive.

Agree though that perhaps a senior player or two via the ND/PSD could be an option if the price is right

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    I would be happy to get Laidler. Don't know why Malthouse didn't rate him. Was very good for Carlton the season before.
    I was surprised he wasn't in favour this year at Carlton. I know Brett Ratten mentioned Laidler's season ending injury in 2012 was the straw that broke the camel's back in their failure that season. Seem to remember him as a good reader of the play across half back and generating offensive run. Be a useful pick up given our list situation - and cheap too!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Flsgs are won when u get a good run with injuries. You wont win a flag if players like armstrong line up in your grand final team.
    what crap. you win with great players and role players. stop bagging players. it is the team which wins the flag not the individual. paul bevan is a flag winner. mitch morton is a flag winner. shane ellen won a flag as a full forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    what crap. you win with great players and role players. stop bagging players. it is the team which wins the flag not the individual. paul bevan is a flag winner. mitch morton is a flag winner. shane ellen won a flag as a full forward.
    I know it a little unfair to single out armstrong, but every team has a player that fans know wouldnt getting a game if they were premier contenders.

if we could all pick the two GF teams and the winner a year in advance just based on whats on paper we would be millionaires
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"