Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

With the draft order firming up, can anyone speculate about the possible selections to be taken by the Swans in the draft?

For mine the needs are pretty straight forward, in two categories:

1. Big Bodied Midfielders - With ROK almost retired and Freo and the Swans demonstrating the value of this type of player, I'd be suprised if it wasn't a priority. JPK will be Robinson Crusoe very soon.

2. Ruck or 2nd Forward/Ruck - pretty straight forward, losing Mummy and White leaves a massive hole. Interesting to see how this is addressed. Will someone like Seaby be redrafted, or will they go with development, with picks or rookies, or a combination of everything? Is Naismith ready if required? Were they hiding Dawes? All shall be revealed.

Any thoughts?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post

1. Big Bodied Midfielders - With ROK almost retired and Freo and the Swans demonstrating the value of this type of player, I'd be suprised if it wasn't a priority. JPK will be Robinson Crusoe very soon.
    Luke Parker is more than capable of playing that role. He does it now as a part timer, when ROK goes it will be a full time gig. With another pre-season or two, Mitchell will also be that type.

Hard big bodied midfielders are the least if our problems IMO.

I would have thought running defenders was more of a priority with Rhyce and Mal heading toward the end
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

i agree strongly with the need for big-bodied mids. we do have a lot of excellent and strong mids but none have the height and size of kennedy (other examples are watson, swan, etc). i actually think jonathon marsh could be picked up for this role. i explained my reason for this in another thread

Here's the latest top 20 guide from Callum Twomey: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-09/phantom-draft

We don't have any glaring weaknesses, especially now that we have stitched up the tall forward situation for quite some time.

The loss of Mummy means that we need a backup experienced ruckman in case Pyke gets injured as Naismith probably can use another year or 2 of development and can't expect anything from Patrick Mitchell for a while. We can probably rookie either Mark Seaby or Jolly for a year to get us by. We might instead draft another development ruckman with our 3rd or 4th pick in the ND, now 39 and 44; Rory Lobb, Ben Brown, Nankervis and Apeness are a few of the higher rated ones in this year's draft.

We seem to use 2 big inside mids, one primarily offensive (JPK), one defensive (ROK) and one to take it away from the pack (KJ for example). Even without ROK we still have Parker, Mitchell and Bird who are all of the slower in and under types, so it doesn't seem as this is one of particular need. We also have Robinson coming in development, who has been playing that role in the reserves and Harry Marsh, who we may be grooming for that ROK role and should be around that size as well.

Although I don't think inside mids are a targeted area, Blake Acres, a big bodied midfielder who can play inside and outside, may well be available at pick 15 and could be the best available player at that pick. Jonothan Marsh should also be available at pick 15 and could be a similar player at AFL level.

Our age profile would indicate that tall defenders would be one area that might be targeted, although this is not rated as a good draft for KPP defenders. The best rated defender in the draft, Darcy Gardiner, should be available at pick 15. If our list managers rate him, we might just take this route. I would prefer to take Acres and wait until later in the draft for a defender. There is always next year when the choices should be better, as well as Ben Reid and a few Giants I believe still unsigned. It also gives Xav Richards another development year. He could be the one to replace his brother.

There were 3 good KPDs picked in the 50s in 2010, Cam O'Shea, Tom McDonald and our own AJ, so picks 39 and 44 may be put to good use for this purpose. Joel Tippett may be available as a rookie selection.

Veterans List
    Anyone else think that ROK slots into the Jude Bolton role on HFF this year? Bit of back to the future for him, but the midfield is starting to look like a slog to him.

Veteran Site Admin
    If this is the shallow draft people are touting it to be, I reckon it should just be a case of picking players with the attributes to possibly make it, rather than trying to pick a certain type of player.

There's a lad - Isaac Heeney - who will be eligible as an Academy player in next year's draft who could fit the bill as a really big bodied midfielder. He played in the U18 championships this year as an underager and caught the attention of many who follow this stuff closely (and have no Swans allegiance). He then played one game for the reserves late in the season as a top up, where he didn't look out of place. His tackling was great and he managed to kick three goals. Based on that limited viewing he looked more bulldozer than silk, but to kick three goals indicates he can take his chances.

It's hard to tell how big they are from afar but I'd guess he's closer to 190cm than 180cm. And solid too / big bodied too, not a tallish twig.

I expect we'll see a fair bit of him in the reserves next year and he certainly looks like a likely type.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Anyone else think that ROK slots into the Jude Bolton role on HFF this year? Bit of back to the future for him, but the midfield is starting to look like a slog to him.
    I'm with you giant. I think age has caught up with him a bit and was mainly being used as a tagger in the midfield lately. And thats a waste of his talents. He looked dangerous in the forward line later in the year. He is an acurate shot, a good mark and can crumb. he will provide good defensive oressure as welk. He will also draw there best small defender. I can see him getting 1-2 goals per game

On the Rookie List
    J-Tip.

Would be surprised if Naismith isn't given 8 _12 games next year. Can't see much point recruiting 18 yo ruckman though.

I would think potential key defenders and more strong runners to support hanners and McVeigh would be a priority

Perris and Lloyd might already fit that bill. Beatson has gone after talent tjhat slips I.e. parker, so logic is not alwaysbthe thing.

Membrey will have to try and make himself into a big bodied defender
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Yep. I'd say it's quite likely, and would suit him. Parker into the midfield full time.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post

Membrey will have to try and make himself into a big bodied defender
    i actually a big-bodied midfielder is more likely for him. i was looking at some stuff earlier and saw that he is the exact same height as kennedy. obviously, he's much lighter being a younger bloke, but could definitely bulk up over the years. we've seen in the neafl that he's got some incredible strength and add that to his marking and goal-kicking ability, he could become a great big-bodied mid if he chooses the path/ or the coaches push him down that path.

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast