Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes puts buddy on notice.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Buddy may not even want 2. It is a number of some significance at the Hawks but not at the Swans.
    It should be. The first Sydney Swan to kick a goal at the SCG was wearing it at the time. The first player in the VFL/AFL to play 50 games for 3 different clubs wore it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    it's not as if he has achieved anything in his career that might make that number particularly dear to him.
    No, but he might be a massive Michael Jordan or Shane Warne fan (or even Colin Hounsell or Glenn Coleman for that matter). Who knows why someone wants a specific number?

It might also just be that the number was available when the young fella came to the club.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I've said it before, just give Buddy #13....thirteeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn!!!
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I've said it before, just give Buddy #13....thirteeeeeeennnnnnnnnnn!!!
    How about something unique that will make him stand out? Copy Chicago Bull Robert Parish & wear 00? Or Wayne Gretzky's 99? Why has no one ever worn rediculously high or low numbers like in the NBA or HNL?

He cops enough unfair flack now for supposedly being self-centered and me me me, imagine if he went down that path, all hell would break loose....lol
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

100 may be appropriate. A few years ago urban legend has it he hit that mystical number of bedded woman and began to refer to himself as a " triple figure Nig#%@ " when out and about on the turps.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I'm as willing as the next Swans fan to embrace a "Melbourne media hates us" line. Most times it is true (because most articles are written to appeal to Collingwood supporters). But in this case I don't think so. I have a lot of thoughts and misgivings about the Buddy deal. Some are just personal instinct/bias, some are more objectively based. But here they are, for whatever they are worth. I hope I am proved wrong and he is a roaring success. But I have a bad feeling.

1. The Melbourne media have been all over Buddy for years. Caro Wilson loathes him already. It isn't anti-Swans bias at work. The real question is just whether he is a Fev-esque knob who deserves it or an unjustly maligned innocent. Crying "bias" is an easy way of avoiding hard questions. I just hope that none of the rumours that circulated when he was a Hawk were true because if even a small proportion are right then our "no dickheads" policy and renowned culture are under major threat.
    2. On an unrelated subject, the apple don't fall far from the tree. Anyone seen a picture of Buddy's old man? And if it is true that you know a man by the company he keeps then I'm pretty concerned. He seems to favour the absolute dregs of rugby as companions.
    3. Do we really need him? We won the 2012 GF when he was against us. Since then we have added the Big Tip to our forward line. And frankly he didn't contribute much to the 2013 Hawks flag.
    4. He has a genuinely terrible kicking technique. While other factors were also important, I doubt we would have won the 2012 GF if it wasn't for his technical flaws. Despite the obvious talents he has, I am not sure that - overall - having those flaws on our side is such a good thing. And whether they are worth the biggest contract in football history is a whole other question.
    5. He is the antithesis of the Bloods ethos. Is he a Brett Kirk Cortina? I think not. A big part of the joy of being a Swans supporter has been being a Cortina driver who wins against the odds. We have been a team that has thrived on a "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" ethos and now we are suddenly buying into the polar opposite philosophy. What car are we being asked to embrace here? I hope it is an enduring classic like the Porsche 911, but I fear we have bought a flashy, unreliable DeLorean (spare us your Back to the Future analogies). And by the way,
    6. Does anyone seriously believe Buddy will play until he is 36? I fear his contract will be a salary cap millstone around our necks many years after he has become an "ambassador" for the Swans or something equally spurious. (Yes, I am familiar with the Alistair Lynch example but I don't think he is Alistair Lynch. As he shows every pre-season, Buddy is a fat lazy dude by nature, hiding in an incredibly gifted shell. Sooner or later the inner fat lazy dude will take over, and with a massively backended contract where is the incentive now for him to keep flogging himself unto age 36?) If we were going to offer a Godfather deal like this, wouldn't waiting until Jeremy Cameron's contract was next up for renewal have been a smarter move?
    7. I fear we have paid WAY over the odds. All the articles about the vast amounts GWS were going to pay him proved to be laughably inaccurate (like most articles in the press, but that is a different rant). I think we have been played like a violin by his management. We could have got him for a HEAP less (and kept more depth in the process). The exodus of depth will bite at some point. And what will the massive investment in Buddy do to our ability to recruit other important ingredients ( eg a Teddy replacement) and retain rising stars (eg Tom Mitchell) when the time comes....sooner than we think.....
    8. Even now, I don't think he is the player he once was. His overhead marking is non existent. In fact, he seems to struggle to lift his arms above shoulder level. There is a lot of lurking and staging, always a bad sign. He will produce brilliant moments, maybe even some brilliant periods, but we have bought a star that is already on the wane. I repeat my inner fat lazy dude theory.

I could go on but I won't. My point is clear. I think we have bought someone who is a nuff-nuff knob by nature who has never really had to try because he has been able to coast along on the strength of his incredible athletic gifts, who doesnt have the mental strength to start working hard now for the first time in his life and will fall off a cliff performance-wise when age and injury start to exert their influence on him.....which has already started to happen. I fear he is cultural poison who will tear a great team ethos and the work of twenty years to shreds. And I fear we have put all our eggs in the one overrated, waning and unneccessary basket, which will cripple our recruitment and retention for years.

Our club management has done a remarkable job since the early 90s to lift us to where we are now, and the Swans are one of the few enduring loves of my life, so I sincerely hope that they are right and I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    100 may be appropriate. A few years ago urban legend has it he hit that mystical number of bedded woman and began to refer to himself as a " triple figure Nig#%@ " when out and about on the turps.
    Mal Brown apparently wore 100 in the WAFL. I wore 272 for a season for UniBlacks. Didn't get me any unwanted attention

Unfortunately, I pretty much agree with Velour & Ruffles...

It's going to be a fluctuating ride early, hopefully with more highs than lows...But there is an extremely long tail, ready to sting.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I'm as willing as the next Swans fan to embrace a "Melbourne media hates us" line. Most times it is true (because most articles are written to appeal to Collingwood supporters). But in this case I don't think so. I have a lot of thoughts and misgivings about the Buddy deal. Some are just personal instinct/bias, some are more objectively based. But here they are, for whatever they are worth. I hope I am proved wrong and he is a roaring success. But I have a bad feeling.

1. The Melbourne media have been all over Buddy for years. Caro Wilson loathes him already. It isn't anti-Swans bias at work. The real question is just whether he is a Fev-esque knob who deserves it or an unjustly maligned innocent. Crying "bias" is an easy way of avoiding hard questions. I just hope that none of the rumours that circulated when he was a Hawk were true because if even a small proportion are right then our "no dickheads" policy and renowned culture are under major threat.
    2. On an unrelated subject, the apple don't fall far from the tree. Anyone seen a picture of Buddy's old man? And if it is true that you know a man by the company he keeps then I'm pretty concerned. He seems to favour the absolute dregs of rugby as companions.
    3. Do we really need him? We won the 2012 GF when he was against us. Since then we have added the Big Tip to our forward line. And frankly he didn't contribute much to the 2013 Hawks flag.
    4. He has a genuinely terrible kicking technique. While other factors were also important, I doubt we would have won the 2012 GF if it wasn't for his technical flaws. Despite the obvious talents he has, I am not sure that - overall - having those flaws on our side is such a good thing. And whether they are worth the biggest contract in football history is a whole other question.
    5. He is the antithesis of the Bloods ethos. Is he a Brett Kirk Cortina? I think not. A big part of the joy of being a Swans supporter has been being a Cortina driver who wins against the odds. We have been a team that has thrived on a "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" ethos and now we are suddenly buying into the polar opposite philosophy. What car are we being asked to embrace here? I hope it is an enduring classic like the Porsche 911, but I fear we have bought a flashy, unreliable DeLorean (spare us your Back to the Future analogies). And by the way,
    6. Does anyone seriously believe Buddy will play until he is 36? I fear his contract will be a salary cap millstone around our necks many years after he has become an "ambassador" for the Swans or something equally spurious. (Yes, I am familiar with the Alistair Lynch example but I don't think he is Alistair Lynch. As he shows every pre-season, Buddy is a fat lazy dude by nature, hiding in an incredibly gifted shell. Sooner or later the inner fat lazy dude will take over, and with a massively backended contract where is the incentive now for him to keep flogging himself unto age 36?) If we were going to offer a Godfather deal like this, wouldn't waiting until Jeremy Cameron's contract was next up for renewal have been a smarter move?
    7. I fear we have paid WAY over the odds. All the articles about the vast amounts GWS were going to pay him proved to be laughably inaccurate (like most articles in the press, but that is a different rant). I think we have been played like a violin by his management. We could have got him for a HEAP less (and kept more depth in the process). The exodus of depth will bite at some point. And what will the massive investment in Buddy do to our ability to recruit other important ingredients ( eg a Teddy replacement) and retain rising stars (eg Tom Mitchell) when the time comes....sooner than we think.....
    8. Even now, I don't think he is the player he once was. His overhead marking is non existent. In fact, he seems to struggle to lift his arms above shoulder level. There is a lot of lurking and staging, always a bad sign. He will produce brilliant moments, maybe even some brilliant periods, but we have bought a star that is already on the wane. I repeat my inner fat lazy dude theory.

I could go on but I won't. My point is clear. I think we have bought someone who is a nuff-nuff knob by nature who has never really had to try because he has been able to coast along on the strength of his incredible athletic gifts, who doesnt have the mental strength to start working hard now for the first time in his life and will fall off a cliff performance-wise when age and injury start to exert their influence on him.....which has already started to happen. I fear he is cultural poison who will tear a great team ethos and the work of twenty years to shreds. And I fear we have put all our eggs in the one overrated, waning and unneccessary basket, which will cripple our recruitment and retention for years.

Our club management has done a remarkable job since the early 90s to lift us to where we are now, and the Swans are one of the few enduring loves of my life, so I sincerely hope that they are right and I am wrong.
    Unfortunately your summary doesn't take into account the profit the club will make regarding merchandising/memembership sales/Primetime media exposure to name a few. I heard recently that the club is selling approx 400 memberships a day MORE than this time last year. As soon as Buddy gets his guernsey number ...watch the merchandising sales hit the roof. No coincidence that Ch 7 and foxtel wanted more Swans games in TV primetime given Buddy as a new recruit...........the Club will make a very healthy profit financially in the early years from the whole deal.
    .....and as far as 'impact the ground'...no one expects Buddy to play out the full 9 years. The contract length was a way of putting our competition off matching the deal and also a very clever way of managing our salary cap over the long term knowing that the salary cap will substantially increase in future years (another TV rights deal is due in approx 3 years). I'll be happy if Buddy gives us 6 good consistent years and more than happy he's no longer wearing the colours of one of our major competitors now and in the next few years.

Financially and brand wise (especially for a NSW based club) a masterstroke. Playing wise..time will tell.
    I am prepared to back the club's judgement on this call even before he's played a game in the red and white.

ps Velour & Ruffles, are you Melb based? As anyone I speak to in Melb has no idea of how important marketing and brand is to our club in Sydney. We not only have to work for fans for our club but also to get fans to the AFL code. No Melb based friends of mine really understand the great challenge clubs in AFL developing states have.

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Not even the pre-season and I feeling a bit odd about the whole thing. I have a dread of Lance jr turning up to the club looking like his old man. I have read these articles of hate and innuendo with a sense of bemusement. It's all just doesn't feel right - can this be a swans player?

I had thought we moved on from the Capper days (not that he ever got sloshed at the races and generates headlines). What's next? "Swannettes dance when Buddy gets off his fat arse and kicks a goal."

So much focus and investment in one player.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Veterans List
    Roos takes on the momentous task to turn around the Dees. The Swans take on the task of turning around Buddy's behaviour. You have to challenge yourself. And, as MB says, I expect a chunk of Buddy's salary has already been paid in increased memberships.

I've been in the RedBull bar with Buddy late in the day at the F1 GP and he was quiet and self-effacing. I'm sure he's been an idiot at times but don't think we don't/haven't had other lesser players who have done dumb things during a night on the town.

Summary: I'm prepared to wait and see how Buddy is as a a Swan rather than just on the bring Buddy down bandwagon. And I'll be excited to see him line up for us next year.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast